All Star Saturday!

Hokie777

18 minutes ago, BLUEMAG911 said:

Do you know where a roster for each of these games can be found?

Not sure on the VHSL Game.. The FCA game is coached by Coach Crist of Va High and Michael Mays of Tenn High coaching the East and Shawn Witten of Elizabethton coaching the West. Both teams have Va and Tenn players making up the roster.

26 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

The VHSCA has not released their rosters yet. I do know that Coach Mance from Richlands is coaching the Red Team. I’m looking forward to my kid getting a chance to play for him.

He don't know anything about football lol...just what he's learned at Richlands...he learned nothing at Giles lol

Seriously I'm glad your son gets to play for such a good coach for a day and a good person too

Congrats!!!

4 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

He don't know anything about football lol...just what he's learned at Richlands...he learned nothing at Giles lol

Seriously I'm glad your son gets to play for such a good coach for a day and a good person too

Congrats!!!

🤣🤣

Thanks! I’m excited to get to see him take the field against great athletes from all across the state.

I’ve always heard great things about Mance as a person. It’s definitely easy to see he’s a great coach.

He stopped us after our game against them in the regular season finale, and told my kid that he was looking forward to the chance to get to coach him.

Something to consider, December 15th is a big day of sports at UVA Wise with the All Star game, and a 30 team wrestling tournament going on at the Convocation Center. Parking may or may not be an issue. Either way, that is GREAT for the economy of Wise County and the student-athletes of Southwest Virginia. I for one will be back and forth between the two events.

30 minutes ago, chipinbogey said:

Something to consider, December 15th is a big day of sports at UVA Wise with the All Star game, and a 30 team wrestling tournament going on at the Convocation Center. Parking may or may not be an issue. Either way, that is GREAT for the economy of Wise County and the student-athletes of Southwest Virginia. I for one will be back and forth between the two events.

Parking was fine last year. I enjoyed it and it is definitely a boost for the area. There was an article last year about the impact. http://www.timesnews.net/Football/2017/12/18/All-Star-football-game-scores-big-points-in-Southwest-Virginia

11 minutes ago, Bigdog said:

Who wrestles that we will know from football for each team.  Don’t know a thing about real wrestling. 

Polier from Union. If I misspelled his name I apologize. Raley and Wimmer from Graham. Richlands will return a 220 that should do well. Graham will have several from football to wrestle. The two mentioned above are the only two that start in football that will be wrestling. Although there are several from the team that will be wrestling. 

I'd love to see the Kastner kid from Graham wrestle. He has what it takes. I'm sure basketball will get several of them.

Not sure what happened and why Drew Vermillion of gate City isn’t on the rosters listed above. But Drew was selected as a Punter for the VHSCA All-Star game for Saturday, he will be on the Blue Team. 

Isaac Stapleton of GC will be playing on the O-Line for the West Squad in the FCA game. 

5 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Not sure what happened and why Drew Vermillion of gate City isn’t on the rosters listed above. But Drew was selected as a Punter for the VHSCA All-Star game for Saturday, he will be on the Blue Team. 

Isaac Stapleton of GC will be playing on the O-Line for the West Squad in the FCA game. 

Here’s a more recent list of local players. Gabe Sesco from Graham is in the VHSCA game as well.

http://www.timesnews.net/Football/2018/12/11/Seniors-to-don-pads-once-more-on-high-school-gridiron

First off, Congratulations to all the kids getting to play in the 2 games.

But I wonder what the criteria is for selecting the kids who get to play in the VHSCA & FCA All-Star games is.

I noticed kids (Seniors) from our area who made 2nd Team Region D are playing in the VHSCA event while some 1st team selections (Seniors) were left out.

I also noticed in the FCA event that a 1st Team Region D kid (Senior) was not selected, while 3 of his teammates who didn't make 1st Team were selected. I know this kid was really looking forward to getting a chance to play in this one.

That seems kinda odd to me.

I think most of it comes down to coaches “promoting” a player. I know for the VHSCA game, a coach completes a nomination form weeks in advance for a player to be considered. It not only includes football but academics, extra curriculars etc. For the FCA game, I’m not 100% but I believe players are selected by the organizers of the game and I’m not sure if there’s a nomination process. 

2 hours ago, Lets Go Duke !!! said:

First off, Congratulations to all the kids getting to play in the 2 games.

But I wonder what the criteria is for selecting the kids who get to play in the VHSCA & FCA All-Star games is.

I noticed kids (Seniors) from our area who made 2nd Team Region D are playing in the VHSCA event while some 1st team selections (Seniors) were left out.

I also noticed in the FCA event that a 1st Team Region D kid (Senior) was not selected, while 3 of his teammates who didn't make 1st Team were selected. I know this kid was really looking forward to getting a chance to play in this one.

That seems kinda odd to me.

Think the young man your referring to got in.. but a little late.