Congrats Jeremy Houseright

Leatherhead Larry

On 1/22/2019 at 11:49 AM, Widespread_Panic said:

This isn't going to work. Football is a full time gig, especially turning around a struggling program. Time to give up basketball and focus on football. 

He had the basketball responsibilities before he got the football job! I am glad he is loyal to his obligation and if he were coaching your daughter, you would be too! As a proud alum, reality is hard to take sometimes as a fan and the reality is that GATE CITY HAS NO TALENT, and what "good " players they have they don't have enough of them. Go watch the Little League and Middle School it is just not there! The Gate City fan base is delusional and thinking a coach who has responsibilities can change the fact by quitting his basketball coaching duties is absurd. One day maybe twenty years from now when GC win another state title we can sit around and laugh about the laughing stock we have become, but the some of you react to everything with negativity we may be getting what we deserve!  

It may be more difficult to build up Little League numbers to the glory day's levels. The reality is that a lot a young athletes and parents are deciding against playing football. It is sadly a growing trend. You add this to the declining population in SWVA and it doesn't look good for football. The early sports specialization is also a factor.

Has anyone heard anything new about the VHSL discussion limiting the year round practice for all sports? 

2 hours ago, 50kw said:

It may be more difficult to build up Little League numbers to the glory day's levels. The reality is that a lot a young athletes and parents are deciding against playing football. It is sadly a growing trend. You add this to the declining population in SWVA and it doesn't look good for football. The early sports specialization is also a factor.

Has anyone heard anything new about the VHSL discussion limiting the year round practice for all sports? 

Scott County numbers aren't declining like the rest of Southwest Virginia, if you school is north of a line from Gate City to Abingdon, you are in long term trouble numbers wise. I believe football at lower levels is dying and will like "club" sports in college ( you will have a football club and travel to play other clubs) whether it remains relevant thirty years from now only time will tell..but Wise, Lee, Dickenson, Buchanan, Russell and Tazewell counties will see dramatic decreases in the next decades.

On 2/3/2019 at 8:06 AM, who? said:

I don’t think Stan Rogers is going to make the blue Devils any better.  He has not coached. Football in decades.  So far.  I don’t see anything going on that is going to make them better.  If football going to improve then houseright has to get out of girls b-ball.  There too much to do right now to get ready for August.  I hope this is his last year doing that.  Reed is not going to be the same Reed we all know and love. I believe he disappointed he did not get head coach.  His heart won’t be all the way in it. Still see some rough years to come. 

Do you think Barry Jones will make an impact? Heard he's heading that way.

Jeremy has asked for every GC fans support and here you all here bashing the man before the first practice. This ain’t Akersland anymore. Jeremy, had a prior dedication to the girls b-ball team. I’m a firm believer that he should finish the season if he wishes. What example does it set for the girls he coaches if he quits on them? (No one answered this last time so I’ll ask again) Plus he is trying to recruit b-ball players. Good way to do it is to be around them daily during practices. 

As for Stan, the kids always loved him. He is a blue devil and a motivator. We need that around our kids. 

We’re trying to rebuild this ship, quit putting more holes in it. Jeremy and the program needs our support more than ever before. Get behind him and the team, we gotta get rid of the negativity. Jeremy isn’t a fool and is doing his thing.  Reed is right guy to lead the weight room. And I hear he’s whipping those boys into shape. 

14 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Do you think Barry Jones will make an impact? Heard he's heading that way.

At least the kids will learn how to block and tackle, and maybe the O-line won't be a sive.