Congrats Jeremy Houseright

Leatherhead Larry

• 1 month later...

I was told the same staff with the addition of recent GC football grad Hunter Jones who coached with Houseright last season at Rye Cove. Heard Darren Reed will be the OC with Jeremy running the defense with.  Heard a Gate City great is even gonna offer some of his time. This is all hearsay. Might be a few changes, I’m not sure. We’ll find out soon enough.

I was able to talk to Jeremy a few weeks ago. We didn’t go into specifics. I mainly congratulated him and offered my help if there is anything I could do this. But anyways he is excited to get this thing going. He mentioned it will be an uphill battle but we will work our butts off. Jeremy is all about the community the support and told me to tell any and all former GC football players to not be strangers and to visit the fieldhouse anytime they want considering it’s the house they built. (Big change already!) Jeremy was very humble, but no doubt excited. I heard Reed is leading workouts due to Jeremy having basketball. Numbers are up and none of the basketball (uh huh, I said b-ball players 👍🏻) or spring sport kids are there yet. So that’s good news. 

4 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

This isn't going to work. Football is a full time gig, especially turning around a struggling program. Time to give up basketball and focus on football. 

The cracks are already showing in the foundation....

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t think Stan Rogers is going to make the blue Devils any better.  He has not coached. Football in decades.  So far.  I don’t see anything going on that is going to make them better.  If football going to improve then houseright has to get out of girls b-ball.  There too much to do right now to get ready for August.  I hope this is his last year doing that.  Reed is not going to be the same Reed we all know and love. I believe he disappointed he did not get head coach.  His heart won’t be all the way in it. Still see some rough years to come. 

1 hour ago, who? said:

I don’t think Stan Rogers is going to make the blue Devils any better.  He has not coached. Football in decades.  So far.  I don’t see anything going on that is going to make them better.  If football going to improve then houseright has to get out of girls b-ball.  There too much to do right now to get ready for August.  I hope this is his last year doing that.  Reed is not going to be the same Reed we all know and love. I believe he disappointed he did not get head coach.  His heart won’t be all the way in it. Still see some rough years to come. 

That’s sacrilege.  We all know GC’s going 15-0 for the next 7 years.

2 hours ago, who? said:

If football going to improve then houseright has to get out of girls b-ball.  There too much to do right now to get ready for August.  I hope this is his last year doing that.  Reed is not going to be the same Reed we all know and love. I believe he disappointed he did not get head coach.  His heart won’t be all the way in it. Still see some rough years to come. 

Couldn't agree more. Houseright needs to be in the weight room overseeing all aspects of his program and not leaving that job to assistant coaches. I would understand coaching track in the spring because several of his football players would be participating and it doesn't require as much time to coach but girl's basketball doesn't make sense. 

1 hour ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Couldn't agree more. Houseright needs to be in the weight room overseeing all aspects of his program and not leaving that job to assistant coaches. I would understand coaching track in the spring because several of his football players would be participating and it doesn't require as much time to coach but girl's basketball doesn't make sense. 

Our coach back in the day was head football and basketball coach and did pretty well on the gridiron

Give the guy a chance before saying what he needs to do and don't do

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Our coach back in the day was head football and basketball coach and did pretty well on the gridiron

Give the guy a chance before saying what he needs to do and don't do

Your basing your statement off of the premise that all posters in this thread are truly objective and truly "feel" that it won't work at Gate City. What some must realize is that some in this thread are not truly "objective or feeling" that it won't work, but it's what they are "hoping" for in that it won't work. 

I don't know or care either way as long as Graham stays good. I do know the Houseright though, and they are first class. GC in my opinion will get much better, but back to playing for state titles? I don't know about that. That shipped may have sailed, but you never know. Time never lies and always tells the truth. 

Back in the day?   The sixties?   Can’t do that in this era.  AND.  I could see boys basketball.  You could recruit and build repore. But there are no girls coming out to play db or rb.  I predict this is his last year.  Probably his wife’s too.  Don’t think anybody besides him would want to coach with her. 

1 hour ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Your basing your statement off of the premise that all posters in this thread are truly objective and truly "feel" that it won't work at Gate City. What some must realize is that some in this thread are not truly "objective or feeling" that it won't work, but it's what they are "hoping" for in that it won't work. 

I don't know or care either way as long as Graham stays good. I do know the Houseright though, and they are first class. GC in my opinion will get much better, but back to playing for state titles? I don't know about that. That shipped may have sailed, but you never know. Time never lies and always tells the truth. 

I didn't say everyone felt this way now did I? That's why I quoted the poster that said it...I was talking to him not everyone at GC lol

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I didn't say everyone felt this way now did I? That's why I quoted the poster that said it...I was talking to him not everyone at GC lol

No, you didn't. And.....neither did I. 

To clarify my statement directed to you is this. You are being rational and objective on the subject. Objectivity and rationale thought doesn't mean much with some who are not. To clarify further.......there are some who actually don't want GC's program to go in the right direction, yet this is disguised as objectivity or claiming to know. Nobody knows 

38 minutes ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

No, you didn't. And.....neither did I. 

To clarify my statement directed to you is this. You are being rational and objective on the subject. Objectivity and rationale thought doesn't mean much with some who are not. To clarify further.......there are some who actually don't want GC's program to go in the right direction, yet this is disguised as objectivity or claiming to know. Nobody knows 

I frankly don't give a rat's behind if gate city ever wins another game ever...all I said was a person could coach another sport besides football in high school and be successful in football

14 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I frankly don't give a rat's behind if gate city ever wins another game ever...all I said was a person could coach another sport besides football in high school and be successful in football

I don't care if GC wins another game either. I also think a person can coach another sport besides football and be successful. I agree with you.