Changes for 2019

SXSW

1 hour ago, SXSW said:

Are there any schools in our area moving up or down in classification next year and when does the cycle begin again? 

In our coverage area, just two that I know of.  Carroll County drops from 4A to 3A and Grayson County drops from 2A to 1A.

Edited by swva_havok_fan
Forgot about Grayson County

11 hours ago, Michael_389 said:

Heard riverheads moved up to 2A

Surprised this would be allowed.  School districts in the Shenandoah Valley and central VA aggressively redraw districts to keep schools at the top of their classifications.  Note the 3 Charlottesville area high schools being in the Top 4 in 3A.  I’m positive the VHSL being headquartered within an hour’s drive has nothing to do with this.

On 12/15/2018 at 9:46 PM, Tigers_07 said:

heard thru the grapevine that rural retreat is moving from the Mountain Empire District/Region 1C  back to the Hogoheegee/Region 1D starting next year. any truth to this?

That's true about RR.

Here's some possible changes. The following will be discussed at the VHSL Executive Committee meeting in January. No guarantee that these will actually be changed, just discussed.

Possibility of playing semi-final football games at a neutral site, like basketball currently does, rather than the home stadium of the highest seed.
Possibility of playing semi-final football games on turf fields.
Possibly reducing the number of qualifying teams for each region from 8 to 4 to eliminate 1 playoff game.
Possibility of rotating regions for semi-final games. Instead of A/B and C/D could be D/B and A/C or D/A and C/B.

57 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Here's some possible changes. The following will be discussed at the VHSL Executive Committee meeting in January. No guarantee that these will actually be changed, just discussed.

Possibility of playing semi-final football games at a neutral site, like basketball currently does, rather than the home stadium of the highest seed.
Possibly reducing the number of qualifying teams for each region from 8 to 4 to eliminate 1 playoff game.
Possibility of rotating regions for semi-final games. Instead of A/B and C/D could be D/B and A/C or D/A and C/B.

I like all four points, I can't see the VHSL cutting out a round of playoffs and losing the money. I don't mind the neutral site games as long as it is a relatively close field in the hosting region. I could even see the VHSL mandating all playoffs be played on turf, but I think that is a long way off.

56 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

First two, I'm fine with. Last two, not okay. You ruin any Cinderella hope. This past years Richlands squad or Blacksburg's 2016 State Championship team would not even make it in those brackets. they are probably only considering it with so many 1 and 2 win teams in the east still making the playoffs. Maybe go to 6 with top two seeds getting a bye week like in the NFL.

My preference only. 

1. Go to 5 classes or levels of play. 6 is to many and I know this ain't happening and not even considered 

2. Continue to play the semifinal game at the highest seed like it currently is. If we have power points, then stick with it. Also, I don't like the turf field thing as a requirement. Why not mandate that all semi games be played on natural grass and not turf? The turf thing makes no sense to me and I don't think it should matter. If your the higher seed in the semis and you have a ugly muddy grass field, then that's where it should be played as it was earned under the current power points system for 10 recular season games.

3. Definitely decrease the teams from 8 to only 4 in a region and add an extra season game for a total of 11 regular season games. This will not happen either. 

4. I dont like crossing regions in the semis. For example, can you imagine Union playing at Poquoson or Bruton traveling to Gate City for a semifinal game? That's crazy.

Last of all, I admit nothing I prefer will happen and everything I don't want to happen will. When it's all said and done, we will have all turf for semifinal games and a neutral site and regions will cross bracket in the semis even more than the A vs B and C vs D, and the amount of teams will not drop from 8 to 4 making the playoffs in one region, but that's ok because the GMen are state champs.

I don't like rotating regions. The prospect of A vs D is beyond ridiculous UNLESS the semis were at Salem or another neutral location equidistant for the 2 teams. I wouldn't mind seeing a cross bracket between C/D and A/B. Like #1 seed in D hosts number #2 in C and vice versa. Then, the 2 remaining play in the semis. This could prevent a regular season rematch for the Region championship. Of course, it would also prevent the possibility for a Region championship trophy.

I definitely like the power point rating to determine higher seed when discussing cross region play.

Not sure how I feel about just 4 teams. Been too many 5 over 4 and 9 over 8 (old system) games to justify getting rid of all 4 lower seeds. Maybe top 6 with 1 and 2 getting a bye. This year's Richlands team is a perfect example. Pretty sure that Ridgeview would have made it to the final had they played Grayson Co instead.

Mandatory turf should only come into the conversation if the home team's field is declared unsafe OR they mandate neutral sites for semis.

With all the possibilities that we could come up with, I would be happy if they just left things alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.