Graham at Bluefield

Beavers Rule

Graham has the athletes to keep it competitive, but Bluefield is loaded with upperclassman talent this year. Traditionally, Graham doesn't handle the Bluefield press well and the game is being played at the Armory. Bluefield by 10-15

Bluefields A game is better than Grahams A game, but Grahams A game is better  than. Bluefields B game.  Graham usually struggles shooting at the Armory, they need to get to the basket. Plus Meadows didnt dress for Graham last night against Giles.  I dont think Graham has anybody to match up with Martin underneath.  However, Graham will press just as hard as Bluefield.  Baker and Crews will be key in handling the press.  Both can handle it well. Edge to Bluefield in this early matchup.  When they meet at Graham Middle next month, I say toss up.  Todd Baker has the G men really prepared.  If anybody can take down Bluefield, its Todd Baker.  He will give Graham the best possible scenario to win this game.

Keep an eye out for Nick Owens for Graham.  If he is on his game and hitting his shots early, Graham has a chance.

Also, Graham has 3 or 4 very good bench players.  Significant drop off after that.  They must stay out of foul trouble.  If one particular ref shows up(who usually does at the Bluefield home games) good luck with that.  Those of you that regularly attend the games know exactly who Im talking about.  He stands at one end of the court and hardly moves.

1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

An interesting side note is that the head coach from Graham graduated from Bluefield and the head coach at Bluefield graduated from Graham.

We will take the Bluefield grad over anybody also happy to have former Bluefield great Hugh Smalls on the staff.

4 hours ago, frito gonzales said:

Congrats to Blfd on the win. Graham didn't have a presence on the glass to compete with Blfd for 4 qtrs. Also, Graham has a player that was a turnover machine. Hopefully that will be corrected. Graham should roll thru the majority of their season. Go G-Men!

Spot on.

I feel like Graham may have the best squad in Region D this year.   We will find out soon enough....dont see anyone else beating them or GC until they face one another.   GC will need to find another consistent scorer (or two) if they want to have much post season success.  A team with the talent of Graham or Radford would have buried us alive had we been playing them last night.  Kinda wish Graham and GC played during the regular season....I love the matchup.  

Two takeaways:1.  Graham was horrible on the boards. I don't know the final stats but Bluefield outrebounded them all night long. Box out boys, box out! 2. Had Cam Allen been playing last year at tournament time, Gate City may not have gotten that win. All this my humble opinion. 

18 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Two takeaways:1.  Graham was horrible on the boards. I don't know the final stats but Bluefield outrebounded them all night long. Box out boys, box out! 2. Had Cam Allen been playing last year at tournament time, Gate City may not have gotten that win. All this my humble opinion. 

With or without Allen, no one was denying GC when it counted last year.

On 12/19/2018 at 10:49 PM, RiverRat24 said:

I feel like Graham may have the best squad in Region D this year. 

No.

If they can't beat Princeton who has a soccer coach coaching the basketball team, they are the best anything...

3 hours ago, GMan said:

No.

If they can't beat Princeton who has a soccer coach coaching the basketball team, they are the best anything...

Im gonna assume you meant "arent the best". 

I suppose I spoke too soon.  The last thing I expected was for Gmen to drop a game to Princeton. GC has looked terrible for parts of several different games....cant seem to put one whole game together.  I expect Graham and GC will continue to get alot better and will still meet each other when it's all said and done.  And it will be a barn burner as usual.

The loser however will get the boobie prize.  Its early yet but beginning to think Radford wont meet much resistance fom Region D this year.  

Question though....what's Princetons record? 

4 minutes ago, RiverRat24 said:

I suppose I spoke too soon.  The last thing I expected was for Gmen to drop a game to Princeton. GC has looked terrible for parts of several different games....cant seem to put one whole game together.  I expect Graham and GC will continue to get alot better and will still meet each other when it's all said and done.  And it will be a barn burner as usual.

The loser however will get the boobie prize.  Its early yet but beginning to think Radford wont meet much resistance fom Region D this year.  

http://www.wvtailgatecentral.com/hs/bb2019/team_schedule.php?currentteamid=245

6 hours ago, GMan said:

No.

I haven't seen game stats and not being there,  but I'll take a wild guess and say GMen got out rebounded 3 to 1. 

2 hours ago, RiverRat24 said:

Princeton is 6-2, maybe 7-2 with the win over Graham.  Their losses are to Bluefield and they lost on a buzzer beater to Blacksburg.  They are a good team, but I expected Graham to win that one.  Gridiron-60 is right, they need a presence underneath.  They have a 6 foot 7 presence that will be coming off the bench in the form of freshman Brody Meadows, which will help.  Dawson is a good inside player, but if he gets in foul trouble, they are in trouble. Maybe they could move Cam or Lester to the Post, they are a little undersized, but both can jump through the roof. I'm sure they will figure it out, they have a ton of athleticism and talent on the team.  Found out today that the football players have only had 3 or 4 practices and have not had much time to learn the offensive sets.   Meadows has only practiced once due to a sprain.  They will be fine, but this outcome still surprised me somewhat.  Graham scrimmaged and beat Pulaski by 18 without any of the football players.  I think what happened was a veteran Princeton team was well-prepared and made it a half court game, Graham's lack of size underneath hurt them in that scenario.  Would not be surprised at all to see Graham win by 15 at their place next time around.