Top 10 Basketball players in SWVA? And why!

Hokie777

On 12/18/2018 at 4:24 PM, Real Sasquatch said:

Cam Allen is not the best player on Grahams team, that would be Drew Baker.  I would take Cam off the list and replace him with Baker.  Baker makes his team mates better.  He is truly a floor general.  Allen is not too shabby either 

Agree, Baker is overall better than Allen. He's a great leader on the floor for sure.

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

Thought QMR was a frosh last year, must be confusing him with someone else.

I'm pretty sure he is a senior...could be a junior though...just recently committed to Radford U....pretty sure he has played at least 2 varsity years so far

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I'm pretty sure he is a senior...could be a junior though...just recently committed to Radford U....pretty sure he has played at least 2 varsity years so far

you're probably right, there's a good chance I'm remembering wrong. 

10 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

you're probably right, there's a good chance I'm remembering wrong. 

Maxpreps has him as a senior...so that probably means he isn't lol

Seriously this kid is damn good...I really think if he was about 6'3 instead of 5'10 or so he would going to an ACC school...he is that good in the 2 games I've watched him

Quinton Morton-Robertson was 1a player of the year his sophomore year. Moved to 2a for junior year, Mac Mcclung got the honor, but was still Roanoke Times player of the year (approx. 70 teams including 3a, 4a, 5a and 6a), He is now a senior and cant make the top 20 of some of the replies to this topic. I could have sworn the board host has said in the past that Radford is included in this forum. Although not on the logo graphics. If this is the case, then the only question is who is 1 and who is 1A between QMR and Ervin.

1. Zac Ervin 

2. QMR

I don't think he was left out on purpose.  Most people don't know much about Radford that post.  He's definitely in the top 10 if everybody knew about all the players in the coverage area.  I couldn't give you 10 players because I don't know enough names in the coverage area to give a fair top 10.

If you look at Zac's stats this summer he still put up respectable numbers even surrounded by Power 5 talent.  Obviously at GC he's 1a and Dean is 1b.  QMR is definitely more dangerous off the dribble but Zac can create his shot as well.  I think as long as nothing crazy happens, Radford and GC "should" see each other in the Final Four.

1 hour ago, carolinahokie64 said:

Quinton Morton-Robertson was 1a player of the year his sophomore year. Moved to 2a for junior year, Mac Mcclung got the honor, but was still Roanoke Times player of the year (approx. 70 teams including 3a, 4a, 5a and 6a), He is now a senior and cant make the top 20 of some of the replies to this topic. I could have sworn the board host has said in the past that Radford is included in this forum. Although not on the logo graphics. If this is the case, then the only question is who is 1 and who is 1A between QMR and Ervin.

1. Yes. Radford is a part of this board. 

2. I made the logo and it was an oversight to leave them off, but I fixed it and it was sent, but never actually updated for some reason that’s above me. 

3. Most posters on here are so far away from Radford that they’ve never seen QMR play. The same as I’d assume you haven’t seen Powers at Eastside play. 

Quinton is such an amazing player to watch. I’ve gotten to see him play several times over the years. The 1A tournament at VA High in 2016, which I thought he was a freshman, was my first time seeing him play. His speed and ball handling definitely sets him apart from others. Last year when they played Gate City in Radford, all eyes were on McClung, understandably so, but Quinton had a great performance as well. He seems to be  a well mannered and disciplined kid on and off the court. 

On 12/28/2018 at 6:39 PM, BigWinners said:

He is just a sophomore, are you positive he's better than Ervin already?

QMR is a senior, not a sophomore.  I'm not certain which is better and frankly, don't care.  It's simply ridiculous for QMR to not be in the conversation and renders the "Top 10 lists" in this thread invalid!

1. Zac Ervin (Gate City)

2. Quinton Morton Robinson (Radford)

3. Drew Baker (Graham)

4. Bradley Dean (Gate City)

5.Hamilton Campbell  (Grundy)

6. Tyler Strong (Northwood)

7. Grayson Honaker (Honaker)

8. Gavin Austin (Virginia High)

9. Cam (coaches son at Radford )

10. Ethan Powers (Eastside)

On 12/29/2018 at 1:33 PM, carolinahokie64 said:

Radford is covered by this site.  The maker of the logo inadvertently left you off.  I made that known when the logo was first put on the board.

To the best of my knowledge, our coverage area has 3 players who have signed Letters of Intent to play basketball at a Division 1 school next year.  One of those three players has not been mentioned once in this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

40 minutes ago, sixcat said:

To the best of my knowledge, our coverage area has 3 players who have signed Letters of Intent to play basketball at a Division 1 school next year.  One of those three players has not been mentioned once in this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

And yet, you didn't mention the name either. LOL!  

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

Are you talking about the Jones kid from Radford?  He is also signed to play at Radford University, if I am correct.  I have never seen him play but I did see his brother, who plays for Bucknell, play and he was really good. 

I must see a Radford game this year!!!

• 1 month later...

15 hours ago, Michael_389 said:

Houston Thacker (Burton) and Ethan Powers (Eastside) are top 5 caliber players!!!

Not overall. You've got Ervin, QMR at Radford, Dean at GC, the other kid at Radford, and Baker at Graham. They're both great players but not quite top 5 IMO

On 12/18/2018 at 12:50 PM, islandhorse24 said:

There's a lot of good basketball players in this area.

I would say (in no particular order)

1. Zach Ervin

2. Bradley Dean

3. Grayson Honaker

4.  Hamilton Campbell- one of the best point guards that I have seen

5.  Cade Looney

6.  Cameron Allen

7.  Ethan Powers

8.  Dylan Catron

9.  Tyler Strong

10.  Caleb Williams

I haven't seen everyone play.  This is just from kids that I have seen in the last couple of years.

I would place Drew Baker above Cam Allen. I don’t know where Drew ranks among the rest of your picks but he’s hands down a better overall player than Cam.