2018 Arby's Classic Thread

swva_havok_fan

With not only Gate City in the field, but also Union as well, hope to see SWVA represented well in Viking Hall this week.  Anyone coming down?  I'll be at all 30 games as has been my annual tradition every year since 2000 (except for 2001, when I missed two days to go watch Haysi in the High County Classic in Boone, North Carolina).

If you're coming, come say hello, I'll be down in the bleachers nearest the stage on the scorer's table side of the gym.

I didn’t stay for the Trinity game but I watched Buford/TN High and Carmel/Science Hill.  As usual, the local teams had plenty of help from the officials.  Watson from Buford didn’t seem to be comfortable this game.  It seemed at times like he may have been hurting and struggled with his passing.  Carmel was very athletic, dominated the boards in first half and played most of the game above the rim.  SH came out in second half and boxed out better but turnovers kept them from making much of a run.

No local teams left in the Winners' Bracket after the 1st Round as usual. Looks like attendance for the tournament just took another big hit this year. Other than the DB/Science Hill game (should draw a decent crowd), it'll probably be less than half full the rest of the way. Especially since most of the Tri-Cities will be at work while our local teams are playing. Oh well. Maybe next year...... Also, Knox Bearden & Carmel Christian look really good.

GC had their chance but pissed that one away. Had a 12 pt lead and completely slowed the game down.  That bit them in the rear. Allowed Wenonah to gather themselves and make stops and create turnovers when they were clearly on the ropes.  Also surprised Coach didnt call a TO to get the defense setup after Bradley scored the go ahead layup with 9 secs left.  Nevertheless, good experience for GC.  Learn from it and move on to Greeneville.  

That Wenonah team was pretty good but didnt utilize their 6'9 post player at all.  Even if they do use him I dont think they will hold a candle to the likes of Bearden or Carmel if they make it far enough to play one of those teams. I would have to say those 2 teams pass the eye test as the favorites in my opinion.   

GC defeats Sullivan East and will play Dobyns Bennett on Monday for 6th place.  

Final score GC 83 - Sullivan East 68

Bradley Dean 43

Zac Ervin 25

Jonathan Sallee 4

David George 7

Drew Vermillion 4

Gate City will play Dobyns Bennett on Monday at 1:00 for 6th place.

6 minutes ago, RiverRat24 said:

GC defeats Sullivan East and will play Dobyns Bennett on Monday for 6th place.  

Final score GC 83 - Sullivan East 68

Bradley Dean 43

Zac Ervin 25

Jonathan Sallee 4

David George 7

Drew Vermillion 4

Gate City will play Dobyns Bennett on Monday at 1:00 for 6th place.

I've been salivating for this. Arguably the two best teams in this area. I think it's going to be a hell of a game. Hope DB wins... But they probably won't. Lol

25 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I've been salivating for this. Arguably the two best teams in this area. I think it's going to be a hell of a game. Hope DB wins... But they probably won't. Lol

GC couldn't beat DB by enough points for me to be satisfied haha However, I'll still take a 1 pt win.   Wish GC had got to play them last year.

4 hours ago, RiverRat24 said:

What kind of score predictions do you guys have for this game?  I think it will be a 7-10 pt ballgame.  However, I thought East would give GC all they could handle and it would be real close game. 

East certainly didn’t shoot the ball up to their standards. But GC did a very good job having a hand in the face and contest most shots. Forced East to shoot off the dribble instead of catch and shoot off the pass. 

GC 12-10 with 1:45 left in the 1st.

GC 16-10 end of 1st

GC goes cold.  Double and triple teaming Zac and Brad.  Jacob Hicks for GC is playing better than anyone else.  Other players passing up uncontested shots and when they do take wide open layups they cant make them.  

DB leads at the half.  32-23