Casto retires at Riverheads

Bluefield researcher

There was no mention of a successor.  I've heard Riverheads teaches the double wing at every level beginning with rec ball.  An assistant familiar with the system could keep this team on top for a while.  Perhaps a Ragsdale-Williams transition would be possible for RH.

As I read the article, the stats are amazing, but so is the arrogance! I wish him well in retirement and his future place in the VHSL Hall of Fame I hope his team still has success without him but it will be hard to replicate. The Wing T offense is beautifully simple to teach and run, it evens the playing field against bigger stronger teams and if you have superior athletes in the offensive system the results are insane. aka his record. Good luck in the future filling those shoes.

On 1/6/2019 at 8:53 PM, honestjohn said:

heard he is going to stay as a math Teacher.

Math teacher?!?  No wonder they struggle with basic math. He must teach “new math” when counting students. 😲

i know I am beating a dead horse but the Gladiator enrollment numbers has been a standing joke ever since I moved to the area. 

Riverheads’ three 1A titles in a row equates to something like ‘Bama winning three FCS titles in a row. 

Im done now. Sorry for the rant. 

10 hours ago, Bearcat Bob said:

Math teacher?!?  No wonder they struggle with basic math. He must teach “new math” when counting students. 😲

i know I am beating a dead horse but the Gladiator enrollment numbers has been a standing joke ever since I moved to the area. 

Riverheads’ three 1A titles in a row equates to something like ‘Bama winning three FCS titles in a row. 

Im done now. Sorry for the rant. 

That was a joke.lol

5 hours ago, Red Rabbit said:

Bearcat bobble , If I'm not mistaken Riverheads was 2A in 2011 , and who beat who,s a$$ then . lol

Riverheads is like the guy who couldn’t win a track meet as a boy so he identified as a girl and finally won!  Good on you!  

If SWVA can only produce teams as good Chilwars  in 1A , they will continue to get spanked in the finals !  You would think after getting blown out in 17 , and coming back loaded in 18 the coaches would have had them ready ?  They came back after sweeping a bunch of nobodies , and get blistered again !  It looked to me like they averaged about 20 lbs. heavier and just as slow as before .  20 lbs of flab . I think they must have a diet of mashed potatoes and gravy ! 

Wonder who will be in line next season to get spanked from SW ?  Not Chil. I bet .  VHSL feels sorry for you guys and makes sure SW has a team in Salem . Remember , second place is really the first LOSER !!!!

11 hours ago, Red Rabbit said:

If SWVA can only produce teams as good Chilwars  in 1A , they will continue to get spanked in the finals !  You would think after getting blown out in 17 , and coming back loaded in 18 the coaches would have had them ready ?  They came back after sweeping a bunch of nobodies , and get blistered again !  It looked to me like they averaged about 20 lbs. heavier and just as slow as before .  20 lbs of flab . I think they must have a diet of mashed potatoes and gravy ! 

Wonder who will be in line next season to get spanked from SW ?  Not Chil. I bet .  VHSL feels sorry for you guys and makes sure SW has a team in Salem . Remember , second place is really the first LOSER !!!!

Riverheads is not the only 2A school dropping down and beating up on the JV's, some do it for Football, some for wrestling, some for Ice Skating. Whatever the reason, it is just not fair to the small school's.

13 hours ago, Red Rabbit said:

How many playoff games had Riverheads won prior to the arrival of Casto?

Enjoy what you've been able to accomplish because you're likely going to revert back much closer to the statistical mean.  Schools traditionally haven't fared too well after losing that caliber of leadership. 

He probably retired due to a guilty mind, had to be stressful being a habitual cheater of the system. Riverheads will wear that label forever. In my opinion he never will be considered a all time great coach outside of the Riverheads Cosmo.