Union @ Wise Central

Unionguy_2017

Big game for both, bigger for Central. Key is if Union can limit second chances, I expect a very physical affair. I’m not sure Union and Central have ever played a basketball game, it’s usually extremely physical and one of the few times a year I think officiating matters.

The Central fans will be raucous, if things go well their fever pitch will be aimed at the opposition if they lose..... God help us all. 

Overall I think the athleticism is in favor of the Warriors. The Warriors have a deep bench and can run 8 to 9 guys in and out which may be a factor with Union just having 7 to 8 players total on the team.  The lack of enthusiasm is what hurts the Warriors, a couple plays don't go their way and Coach McCamis and the Warriors tend to fold. Union has some talent with Garrison, Jones, Rasnick, and company, but the biggest thing to this game is can they run the floor for 4 quarters and finish strong.

I would expect Central to come out gunning after the beat down they took from a Ridgeview team Tuesday night, but you never know what to expect from them.  I know Moore will have the Bears ready to go and like Burrell's Pearls said if Union can limit second chances this could be a great ball game.

Good Luck to both teams tonight.

Depth is an obvious issue with both Union programs. I don’t follow the girls very much but it seems to be similar situations. Regardless of how much talent there is it’s hard to win consistently without a bench. For the boys, the starting 5 is really good but after that there’s not much. BigWinner said in a different post that an up tempo game suits them but you can’t play that style with 5 guys.  

1 hour ago, GoBearsGo said:

Depth is an obvious issue with both Union programs. I don’t follow the girls very much but it seems to be similar situations. Regardless of how much talent there is it’s hard to win consistently without a bench. For the boys, the starting 5 is really good but after that there’s not much. BigWinner said in a different post that an up tempo game suits them but you can’t play that style with 5 guys.  

Yeah, you can. You can run a more modern offense, with using the three and trying to score in transition, with four guards and one big. You can't press on defense too, that will wear them out, but you can play an up tempo offense with eight players.

Again, I can’t speak to the girls program but I know for the boys there’s definitely talent that has played for years that don’t finish their career. The senior class this year alone has 2-3 kids not playing that would have contributed. It’s been that way for years. Union’s boys youth, middle school and jv teams are always solid. The kids just don’t stick around. 

4 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Yeah, you can. You can run a more modern offense, with using the three and trying to score in transition, with four guards and one big. You can't press on defense too, that will wear them out, but you can play an up tempo offense with eight players.

I think we are saying the same thing. To me, up tempo includes some full or at least half court pressure. It’s not just run and gun and sit back on D and let opponents determine the flow. And we are assuming there’s 8 solid offensive players, realistically there’s 4 with the 5th being a stretch.  

1 hour ago, GoBearsGo said:

I think we are saying the same thing. To me, up tempo includes some full or at least half court pressure. It’s not just run and gun and sit back on D and let opponents determine the flow. And we are assuming there’s 8 solid offensive players, realistically there’s 4 with the 5th being a stretch.  

I do think we can run and gun more and still press or trap, Union exerted a ton of energy at GC and seemed okay so I'm hoping with the kids being young and relying mostly on guards, you really just need to rest any big, Falin or Giza for any real time. A 14-15 year old can play 35 minutes without losing their legs IMO. I mean of course little breaks here and there plus halftime, but I believe we can use the weapons Inn the most efficient way if it's an open game. 

3 hours ago, GoBearsGo said:

Again, I can’t speak to the girls program but I know for the boys there’s definitely talent that has played for years that don’t finish their career. The senior class this year alone has 2-3 kids not playing that would have contributed. It’s been that way for years. Union’s boys youth, middle school and jv teams are always solid. The kids just don’t stick around. 

Coach Moore is yet to have a losing season either at PV or Union, routinely makes the regional tournament, has made the state tournament and was one game away from the state tournament last year after losing his best player to injury. I’m not sure what you expect? Outside of GC, can you show me a more consistent AA Region D boys program over the last 10-12 years better than PV/Union?

when did he make the state tourney? i know he hasnt at union. four years ago with mitchell jay gavin noakes slagle spears barjer and jake barnette couldnt get out of the first round with all that talent. only scored 53 points with a team that shoulda been in the 80s on a nightly basis. again just my opinion but he dont adjust his coaching to fit the talent he has. its his system no matter what. that team i mentioned shoulda been run and gun but he forced them to play slow halfcourt game. only good thing ill say is he gets his teams really nice stuff.

3 hours ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

Coach Moore is yet to have a losing season either at PV or Union, routinely makes the regional tournament, has made the state tournament and was one game away from the state tournament last year after losing his best player to injury. I’m not sure what you expect? Outside of GC, can you show me a more consistent AA Region D boys program over the last 10-12 years better than PV/Union?

I expect talented kids to stay in the program. 

19 minutes ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

What talented players have they lost? 

I’m not going to name names. I’m an adult and it’s not my place to mention kids, especially kids that have left the program. Anyone that follows Union basketball knows there has been plenty of talent walk away. 

I'm not aware of any super talented kids that left the program under Moore, but I'm not in the school nor do I know Zach personally.

With the talent he had, I would like to have seen more wins on the regional stage, but the GC buzzsaw has really put a damper on that.

I would have like to see what Moore could have done with that 98 team, or the 04 team, or the 01 team, but I know he couldn't have done worse than the previous regime.

The team mentioned above with Noaks, Mitchell (a freshman then), Gavin, etc... should have won more,  but laid an egg against a SWD team they were better than IMO. He has lost some big games, but he has been consistently successful for a decade now. What other coach can say that? In 2A around here, aside from GC, who's been better on a consistent basis?

He is in a bad situation this year, zero depth and losing his stud so early. It's hard to blame him for this year when it's mostly young kids and only eight total players.

8 hours ago, #BBN said:

With the JV team being so dominant this year, why does he not pull the younger kids in 9th grade up and get them some depth and experience?

At least bring them up for depth, give them 5-10 minutes a game would make sense. I don't know about the restrictions in basketball in terms of quarters or games played, but if it's not a super and the JV isn't playing, I don't see why you dont have a couple 9th graders on the bench if nothing else to cheer the team on if they can't play.

Can't win against a team that goes 9-10 deep if only five playerys see the floor unless your five are much more talented.

57 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

At least bring them up for depth, give them 5-10 minutes a game would make sense. I don't know about the restrictions in basketball in terms of quarters or games played, but if it's not a super and the JV isn't playing, I don't see why you dont have a couple 9th graders on the bench if nothing else to cheer the team on if they can't play.

Can't win against a team that goes 9-10 deep if only five playerys see the floor unless your five are much more talented.

Exactly.....Central’s points where spread out last night, Hayes 14, Bishop 13, Vanover 9, Stallard 6, Elkins 4, Lester 3, Collins 2, Mullins 2, Allison 1.

Good team ball played last night by the Warriors, everyone stepping up at different times during the season!