Lee High School

Weatherman

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

Not enough! Lol

If we're talking about actual transfers (kids that were enrolled in Lee High at some point), a couple over the last few years. If you're talking about kids that live within Lee Co boundaries and have attended PV/Union over the years, lots. The section of 23 between BSG and Duffield and the section of 58 between BSG and Dryden have a lot of kids that attend or have attended PV/Union because of the close proximity. Less than 10 minutes to BSG or 30-60 to Rye Cove or Lee High.

WHAT??? You mean to tell me that kids attend schools outside their own area??? I thought this only happened at Richlands???

2 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

WHAT??? You mean to tell me that kids attend schools outside their own area??? I thought this only happened at Richlands???

It’s different when other teams do it. It’s only bad at Richlands. Duh. 

24 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

21 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Both of these statements are correct. Kids attending outside their area only happens in Richlands and it is indeed bad, very bad. At Union, we like to refer to it as Intellectual Annexation. Just trying to give these kids a helping hand in being successful in achieving their goals and dreams in life. Any ability to play sports, especially football, is completely coincidental. An anomaly, if you will.

Also, we are currently accepting applications for any students that may be over 6'3" and 300 lbs or can run a sub 4.6 40. After all, isn't discrimination against speedy and/or big and tall young men between the ages of 15-18 a travesty that we should all be working to curtail? 😁

2 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Not enough! Lol

If we're talking about actual transfers (kids that were enrolled in Lee High at some point), a couple over the last few years. If you're talking about kids that live within Lee Co boundaries and have attended PV/Union over the years, lots. The section of 23 between BSG and Duffield and the section of 58 between BSG and Dryden have a lot of kids that attend or have attended PV/Union because of the close proximity. Less than 10 minutes to BSG or 30-60 to Rye Cove or Lee High.

The geography of Lee County just begs for 3 separate high schools.  Would alleviate a bit of this issue if it were originally structured this way, but alas, no.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

The geography of Lee County just begs for 3 separate high schools.  Would alleviate a bit of this issue if it were originally structured this way, but alas, no.

Very true. Lee is a long county. Getting kids to a central location by bus every day is certainly not ideal.

4 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Not enough! Lol

Quite a few from Keokee go to union also.  

5 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Quite a few from Keokee go to union also.  

Forgot about that area. In addition to the high school kids that attended Appy over the years, I remember Appy Elementary getting a huge influx when Keokee Elementary finally shut down around 2013. Wasn't sure how many of those kids continued on to Union. Still closer than going to Lee I guess.

4 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

And God forbid Gate City get a good player from East Tennessee...the world almost quits spinning when that happens!

23 minutes ago, SXSW said:

And God forbid Gate City get a good player from East Tennessee...the world almost quits spinning when that happens!

Seems like GC loses more to TN than gains... 

Scott County gives travel time as a factor against consolidation and traveling distances seem to be insurmountable in Lee County - yet both school systems bus hundreds of students to and from a central, county-wide vocational school daily, and have done so successfully for years. Hard to say you can’t do a thing when you do it every day. 

5 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

Seems like GC loses more to TN than gains... 

Scott County gives travel time as a factor against consolidation and traveling distances seem to be insurmountable in Lee County - yet both school systems bus hundreds of students to and from a central, county-wide vocational school daily, and have done so successfully for years. Hard to say you can’t do a thing when you do it every day. 

only when the program is down, DB is going through a really tough spot in football right now, I would expect to gain a couple or a least not lose any.