East teams to watch out for

Hokie777

Stuart’s Draft can cause issues for about anybody on a given night. They run, run and run some more. Rotate 5 in at a time, full court press non stop and jack up shots from anywhere/everywhere. They are not terribly talented this year but their style can be overwhelming. 

But East Rock is the cream of the crop 

5 hours ago, Hokie777 said:

Just curios as VHSL state championships are just a month or so away... who are the top 1A and 2A boys and girls teams the West needs to watch out for?

Radford is on a different level than any other 2A school. They just beat an undefeated 3A Northside. Two D1 players with possibly the best coach in VA will be tough to handle. 

Radford to me seems like the team to beat and I expect them to win it all....same team as last year and they were very good then.  A year older and they are lights out.  But let's not get too carried away.   They won against Northside and it's a heck of a win.... but that's the same Northside team that GC got to play before season began and both teams had their star players from what I remember. GC played them very well and I think beat them by 8 or 10 pts in that scrimmage which didnt matter obviously. And I'm not saying that to pump GC because they arent going to be making it far this year for obvious reasons....I'm saying that to say that in my opinion I dont think Radford is in a completely different stratosphere from the  other Top 3 or 4 teams in 2A.  Are they better than everyone else.....yes I think so. I have lots of respect for Radford and their tradition so by no means am I knocking on them.

I for one would like to catch an East Rock game and see what they are all about.  Heard alot of rave about the Nichols kid...and I'm sure its warranted. Last I heard he was averaging around 30 ppg as a freshman?  Thats insane.   Do they have any games online to view? 

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

I’m now skeptical of putting faith in that school after the football debacle. 

I feel kind of the same way tbh. Not that it matters, Radford is head and shoulders above everyone else.

Beating North side like that is super impressive. QMR is 2A POY and they have another all state player. 

Martinsville has some big scalps too, but nothing like what Radford did.

5 minutes ago, RiverRat24 said:

Radford to me seems like the team to beat and I expect them to win it all....same team as last year and they were very good then.  A year older and they are lights out.  But let's not get too carried away.   They won against Northside and it's a heck of a win.... but that's the same Northside team that GC got to play before season began and both teams had their star players from what I remember. GC played them very well and I think beat them by 8 or 10 pts in that scrimmage which didnt matter obviously. And I'm not saying that to pump GC because they arent going to be making it far this year for obvious reasons....I'm saying that to say that in my opinion I dont think Radford is in a completely different stratosphere from the  other Top 3 or 4 teams in 2A.  Are they better than everyone else.....yes I think so. I have lots of respect for Radford and their tradition so by no means am I knocking on them.

I for one would like to catch an East Rock game and see what they are all about.  Heard alot of rave about the Nichols kid...and I'm sure its warranted. Last I heard he was averaging around 30 ppg as a freshman?  Thats insane.   Do they have any games online to view? 

Northside was top 10 in the state across divisions IIRC. Wouldn't put much stock in a scrimmage, they are a powerhouse and Radford took them down away from home.

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

Northside was top 10 in the state across divisions IIRC. Wouldn't put much stock in a scrimmage, they are a powerhouse and Radford took them down away from home.

How many times do you ever play to lose when you play a game against someone whether it's a game that counts or not?  And would you try to play your best if a scout is there watching?   I'm not putting much stock into it.....but lets not act like they didnt come to play.  Otherwise they wouldn't have scheduled the tourny to begin with. They had their players and GC had theirs and GC handled them.  Why load your players up and travel then go half heartedly?  You dont.  You go to face stiff competition to have an idea of where you stand and what you have for the upcoming season.   

The point I'm making is that they arent leaps and bounds ahead of the teams that they will face deep in the post season.  MHS, East Rock, Greensville possibly, and even Graham if they start to gel....could all give them all they can stand.  We agree on the fact we both think Radford wins it all. ...but I dont think they cakewalk their way in like your implying.   East Rock has a player that's doing far more impressive things than most any other kid in the state.... as a Freshman.  

And lastly.....East Rock football has nada to do with their basketball squad. Do yourself a favor and watch them on Hudl if you havent seen them already.  They are long, athletic, and seem to be fairly deep as well.  Not a 1 or 2 man show. 

Northside was missing a couple of starters when they played GC in that "tourney". One was the starting point guard who was the starting QB for the Vikings. He just committed to UVA-W for football. This coming from a relative of a Northside player who has ties to Martinsville. Also I saw East Rock play a week or so ago against Floyd Co. They are legit and the freshman, who is 6'6" and a hold back, and also another 6'6" sr are both very good and they shoot the ball very good. I know you cant compare scores but they beat RE Lee by about 25 both times they played. Mavahi only beat Lee by 5. They will be a tough out.

4 hours ago, Bearcat Bob said:

They made the final four. I wouldn’t call that a debacle. 

But most of the state (myself included) drunk the KoolAid and anointed them champs and then they weren't even close. I don't trust it now when the state says they are the best haha.

5 hours ago, pdfan said:

Northside was missing a couple of starters when they played GC in that "tourney". One was the starting point guard who was the starting QB for the Vikings. He just committed to UVA-W for football. This coming from a relative of a Northside player who has ties to Martinsville. Also I saw East Rock play a week or so ago against Floyd Co. They are legit and the freshman, who is 6'6" and a hold back, and also another 6'6" sr are both very good and they shoot the ball very good. I know you cant compare scores but they beat RE Lee by about 25 both times they played. Mavahi only beat Lee by 5. They will be a tough out.

I was just going off of what I had been told by a friend that attended who's not a GC fan.  Thanks for clearing that up though. 

And from what I seen in the videos.....East Rock looks legit.  Looks like they share the ball really well and drive the lane and find the open shooter about as good as anyone I've seen. If anyone has the horses to run with Radford I would go with East Rock. 

7 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

But most of the state (myself included) drunk the KoolAid and anointed them champs and then they weren't even close. I don't trust it now when the state says they are the best haha.

Not even close?  The final score was not indicative of the game.  The ER coaches were a bit wided eyed I'll grant.  They also got outcoached by a very good staff.  But to make the final four was not a debacle.  Didn't meet expectations for sure, but definitely not a debacle.  Now as for basketball...they have a talented, deep team.  6 different players have led them in scoring this year.  The freshman is very, very good but Jefferson is the leader and go to man.  Not many high school teams have 2 6'6 players who can shoot the 3 or back you down in the paint.  All that being said, if it comes down to them and Radford, Id give Radford the edge...a lot of the reason is that, much like Goochland football, Radford has a distinct advantage in experience in the big game and a gold standard coach.

Historically, if it isn't RE Lee Staunton in that Region, then it likely ain't winning basketball titles. ER is good, but the "build up" is already there in hoops just like it was in football on the other boards. I didn't take the cool aid with them in football, and I will not drink in hoops either. ER was very good in football and they are very good in basketball, but they aren't in the same league with Radford this year. Radford will win the VA state title this year and if they somehow don't, it will be Martinsville pulling the upset, not East Rock.

1 hour ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Historically, if it isn't RE Lee Staunton in that Region, then it likely ain't winning basketball titles. ER is good, but the "build up" is already there in hoops just like it was in football on the other boards. I didn't take the cool aid with them in football, and I will not drink in hoops either. ER was very good in football and they are very good in basketball, but they aren't in the same league with Radford this year. Radford will win the VA state title this year and if they somehow don't, it will be Martinsville pulling the upset, not East Rock.

I’ve been fortunate enough to see both Radford and East Rock this year. Radford is really good and have probably the POY and COY. But they are not as good as the 2009 team IMHO. 

East Rock is very talented and deep. Their best player is actually playing at Blue Ridge this year. If Rodgers was still in the fold, ER would be incredible. 

East Rock’s weakness is they are not a real physical team. They were bullied a bit in their two losses this season. But they showed a lot of grit by avenging the Spotswood loss by playing a more physical game. But that is not their strong suit. 

Radford isn’t what I would call a  real physical squad either. But they are physically tough enough.  

If ER runs into a physical team like the Darren White led Dan River teams from 10 years ago, their season probably ends early. I just haven’t seen one of those teams in 2A this year. 

Never know about Region A. Someone always comes out of there as a surprise. 

3 hours ago, islandhorse24 said:

What are the teams from the East for 1A to watch out for?

2 hours ago, Bearcat Bob said:

Friggin Riverheads. 

Lancaster has been at the end for the last several years now.  Not sure how they are doing this season, but I assume they will be tough as well.

Surry County by far.  They are the best of the bunch in 1A outside of this side of the state. This year, Rappahanock is much better than Lancaster. Rapp along with Riverheads second best in East. Surry is much better than both of them and would give Radford a game this year. Surry in 1A, may be the "second best 2A" team in the state this year and they ain't 2A.

5 hours ago, Bearcat Bob said:

Radford isn’t what I would call a  real physical squad either. But they are physically tough enough.  

As long as Cormany is Radford’s coach they will be extremely physical. If you read  quotes from his players they constantly say games are much easier than their practices because of the level of physicality in which he demands. 

Maybe so...but the game I saw them play was not very physical    

I think Coach C is good at adapting to the talent he has and the type of game they need tio play on a given night. 

You want physical play, watch a Dogwood district game. Battle Royal basketball at its finest.