East teams to watch out for

Hokie777

6 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Surry County by far.  They are the best of the bunch in 1A outside of this side of the state. This year, Rappahanock is much better than Lancaster. Rapp along with Riverheads second best in East. Surry is much better than both of them and would give Radford a game this year. Surry in 1A, may be the "second best 2A" team in the state this year and they ain't 2A.

not sure I believe that. Radford is taking down huge schools and is undefeated. East Rock is rolling. Graham isn't a pushover. Mavahi is legit and have some great wins. I think you're underrating 2A. 

If I'm putting the best teams out there from what I have heard from being around some players and fans,  my top 10 would probably be:

1. Radford

2. East Rockingham

3. Goochland (might be a surprise)

4. Martinsville

5. Gretna

6. Graham

7. Gate City

8. Glenvar

9. Greensville County

10. Bluestone

If you look at the Points For and Points Against for these teams on maxpreps Radford is hands down the best defensive team out there. 

I'm a true Blue Devil and to me Gate City is a toss up right now. I havent heard anything about what they did at Ridgeview tonight. I fell asleep and havent checked my Twitter feed yet.  While Ervin is gone for the Devils, you have to realize that the only seniors playing for the Devils are Coach Vermillion's lid Drew and the Hicks kid and he doesnt play much. Everyone else are underclassmen. 

There was also talk of East Rockingham and the 6'6 guys.  Now while the Devils did have Ervin on the floor at the Arbys everyone else playing big minutes now on the team was there as well on the floor vs Wenonah (spelling?) as well and that team from Alabama was not exactly small or slow.  

So taking nothing away from the other 2A teams in Virginia or the Northsides or anyone else but the Devils have played a helluva schedule non conference. 

Another thing to remember also. I have read that during the next cycle that the heralded John Marshall out of Richmond goes to Class 2.  Radford is good but let's just face it. 2A is loaded with some really great basketball teams in some great sports communities. 

Gate City themselves in terms of talent like we have had the past three or four years will not be like it was after next years Senior class goes through. The Devils will definitely.become more "human" but by the way the young group plays on defense they will not be hurting for defenders on defense. Scoring may be an issue but playing hard defensively will not. I will admit. They are a lot of fun to watch when they are on their defensive game. 

Gc fans have been very quite on here as of late... that usually means they don’t have a lot of confidence going forward.  They usually react one of three ways in any sport.

1.   Arrogant and loud because they know they are good.

2. Blame the coach because of the results are not as good as they should be.

3.  Silence because they know they can’t win much at the end. 

1 hour ago, who? said:

Gc fans have been very quite on here as of late... that usually means they don’t have a lot of confidence going forward.  They usually react one of three ways in any sport.

As a life-long GC fan, I am very confused as to how I should react to this post. Maybe Who? can help me? Since this is a basketball thread, assume my response should be based on basketball.

1. Well...…..we are pretty good. Even after losing one of the two best players in the Region, we are still a pretty good team. So...…..not sure if I should be arrogant and tell Who? to take off the letterman jacket he bought at Goodwill and take a long look at himself in the mirror. 

2. I have no issues with the way Scottie is coaching...…...dang it. Do not guess I can reply blaming the coaches. 

3. Hmmm...…...think it is pretty obvious we are not as good as we were last year, and not as good as we were at the beginning of this year. Really.....only one 2A team will win at "the end". Everyone else will lose. I do not think we will repeat as champions, so I guess we will be losers at the end. So...……...should my response be...………….(See what I did there? Silence.)

Who?...….please help me. I am so confused. 

2 hours ago, who? said:

Obsess much?  This a thread about teams from the East so I'm not sure as to why you would post that, at least on this thread.

On 2/6/2019 at 8:26 AM, who? said:

This post is like the little annoying kid in gym glass, that when you are doing captains choice, is standing there jumping up and down yelling "pick me, pick me" some people will do anything to get noticed. Oh and 26 State Titles don't lie, Gate City is really good at sports!