Region D Tournaments

pvfan

1 hour ago, Lets Go Duke !!! said:

Graham just beat Battle 60-59 in Overtime. That was about as bad as I've seen Battle play this year on Defense. Not taking anything away from the G-men. But Union shouldn't have any problem with Graham.

Union had struggles with John Battle in their three games as well. Don't think Union is just going blow past Graham cause of tonight's performance.

17 minutes ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Union had struggles with John Battle in their three games as well. Don't think Union is just going blow past Graham cause of tonight's performance.

Battle played bad in the areas that Union excels. Battle got destroyed on the Defensive glass. Graham had a lot of 2nd-3rd-4th chances on the Offensive end. They even rebounded several of their own missed free throws. 

1 hour ago, Lets Go Duke !!! said:

Battle played bad in the areas that Union excels. Battle got destroyed on the Defensive glass. Graham had a lot of 2nd-3rd-4th chances on the Offensive end. They even rebounded several of their own missed free throws. 

We'll see what happens when they play, I just can't see Union giving them whoopin'.

Union didn't exactly blow Battle out in any of their games. On a better night Graham would've won that by 15 or 20. That was the worst I've seen them play all year from all the games I've seen. They're usually a better free throw shooting team than that.

2 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Union didn't exactly blow Battle out in any of their games. On a better night Graham would've won that by 10 or 15. That was the worst I've seen them play all year from all the games I've seen. They're usually a better free throw shooting team than that.

That's what I didn't know. I was wondering if Graham was having an off night as well or not. But just judging by tonight's game, that's what I saw. That was probably the most unforced turnovers Battle has had all year. 

1 minute ago, Lets Go Duke !!! said:

That's what I didn't know. I was wondering if Graham was having an off night as well or not. But just judging by tonight's game, that's what I saw. That was probably the most unforced turnovers Battle has had all year. 

They missed too many easy shots under the basket and playing in the mediocre SWD doesn't prepare you well for region play.

5 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

They missed too many easy shots under the basket and playing in the mediocre SWD doesn't prepare you well for region play.

Well we'll just chalk that one up as neither team playing their best game. Good luck to all four of the remaining teams. I hope one of them can bring home another championship for Southwest Virginia

1 hour ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Union didn't exactly blow Battle out in any of their games. On a better night Graham would've won that by 10 or 15. That was the worst I've seen them play all year from all the games I've seen. They're usually a better free throw shooting team than that.

Graham's free throw shooting has been consistently bad all season.  The missed layups is what killed them(10-12 points squandered at least) and playing the 2-3 zone too much.  They got beat on the press a couple of times, but when they pressed they forced some turnovers.  Problem was they settled in and tried to play a half court game when they should have pressed more and tried to get into transition.  Battle came to play and out-hustled Graham all night long.  I think Graham seriously under-estimated that team and were not prepared for it.  Battle played aggressively and with a sense of urgency, Graham did not.  If they play like that again, their season will be over in the next round.  If the team that played against PH-Roanoke shows up, they move on.  Battle played well however and deserve credit for pushing Graham to their limits.

1 hour ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Worst game I saw Graham play was the 2nd game against Princeton.  That was hard to watch.  They have been sort of a Jeckyll and Hyde this year.

2 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham's free throw shooting has been consistently bad all season.  The missed layups is what killed them(10-12 points squandered at least) and playing the 2-3 zone too much.  They got beat on the press a couple of times, but when they pressed they forced some turnovers.  Problem was they settled in and tried to play a half court game when they should have pressed more and tried to get into transition.  Battle came to play and out-hustled Graham all night long.  I think Graham seriously under-estimated that team and were not prepared for it.  Battle played aggressively and with a sense of urgency, Graham did not.  If they play like that again, their season will be over in the next round.  If the team that played against PH-Roanoke shows up, they move on.  Battle played well however and deserve credit for pushing Graham to their limits.

At the games I've been to their free throw shooting has been good. Cam, Drew, Chance, Graves are all usually reliable.

2 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

At the games I've been to their free throw shooting has been good. Cam, Drew, Chance, Graves are all usually reliable.

True.  I just remember early on, free throw was ugly.  But you are right, it did get better.  Tonight just reminded me of the struggles early on.  On a side note.  I thought that when Meadows was in the game, Battle had a harder time getting to the basket.  They certainly weren't afraid to attack the rim.