Region D Tournaments

pvfan

2 hours ago, BBHoops_18 said:

They missed too many easy shots under the basket and playing in the mediocre SWD doesn't prepare you well for region play.

SWD maybe mediocre but their #4 seed gave the Mtn #1 seed all they wanted tonight. Congrats to Gate City and good luck moving forward!

9 hours ago, Lets Go Duke !!! said:

Graham just beat Battle 60-59 in Overtime. That was about as bad as I've seen Battle play this year on Defense. Not taking anything away from the G-men. But Union shouldn't have any problem with Graham.

Yes, let’s overrreact to the results of one game instead of comparing an entire season of work.  Graham should win.  Graham won’t win if Graham plays like last night, but Graham should rightly be favored.

11 hours ago, Soccer_Dad said:

Graham just beat Battle 60-59 in Overtime. That was about as bad as I've seen Battle play this year on Defense. Not taking anything away from the G-men. But Union shouldn't have any problem with Graham.

Fact is, Graham was due a bad game...they've had 3 or 4 of those this year.  Union beat JSB three times this season by 4 in 2OT at JSB, by 6 at home, and by 10 in the tournament to claim 3rd place in the M7.

Let us take a look at the rest of the games...

Union beat Virginia High by 18...Graham beat V-High twice this season by an average of 29 pts/game.

Central beat Richlands by 15...Graham beat Richlands three times this season by an average of 23.7 pts/game.

Gate City beat Lebanon by 14...Graham beat Lebanon twice this season by an average of 22.7 pts/game (closest of the SWD opponents).

All I'm saying is don't count chickens before they hatch...looks like just about anyone could finish 2nd in the Region at this point.  Except for Central, since they play GC in the Region Semis...we all know Gate City be the Region Champions...

There is more at stake this time of year so I'm sure that plays more of a roll in some of these games.  The players know there is no room for error so they proplay more tense then a regular season game.  Throw comment opponents out the window because that doesn't play much of a factor now.  Graham and GC should be playing in the region championship but they are both playing capable teams of knocking them out.  

We gotta remember that Ervin hadn’t played a game in 4 weeks, the responsibility of each GC player had changed, now Ervin is back and GC is trying to make things flow again. Plus, Ervin did not play well, which is expected. I wished we gave him minutes here and there last week knowing he would be off a little. It would’ve been some time to find himself before the win or go home situation.  

No doubt Gate City will bring the A game tomorrow. 

I think it's better to have the girls and boys at the same place.  More fans would be there and it gives people an opportunity to see some teams they aren't capable of regularly seeing. I liked last year being able to see 4 great games at wise.  It was a great atmosphere and great basketball.

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Girls Region 2D finals have been moved to UVa-Wise Saturday at 2:00.  If Union beats Graham tonight, I would expect the boys finals to follow suit.

I figured Robin Dotson would want this game moved.  

4 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Region D Champs! Go Big Blue!

Congratulations, Ervin and Dean gave our boys an old fashioned butt whoopin’ . Graham has a great regular season, playoffs have been mediocre performance overall. Good luck next week!