Mountain 7 District Tournaments

swva_havok_fan

19 hours ago, Great City said:

Hey.........then don't rely on the opinions of others. Come to a GC game and let us know what you think. Our fans are loud, and you may hear "fire up the bus", but it is not a bad crowd. Actually...........come to the next GC-Central game and judge for yourself.

Great City...playing against Gate City in the late 70s and early 80s was “a unique experience”  to say the least. Our players and fans were exposed to all manner of intimidation attempts, slurs (racial and otherwise), and verbal attacks from the fans. Didn’t matter the sport either. We took it as a challenge. Our coaches warned us to not get caught up in the environment there. I always looked forward to playing at GC because of the extra incentive of trying to shut up the 35 year old letterman jacket wearing loudmouths in the stands.  But I never recall any cheap shots by the players; physical play, yes.  Cheap shots, no.  

What does that have to do with this current debate?  Not much.   Just some firsthand historical experiences.  

1 hour ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

I hate the guy for Central got hurt but listen if I have a kid in the future and he or she gets chucked with an elbow or sucker punched or just shoved for the heck of it do you know what I am telling him or her?  I am going to say, "Dad don't ever want you to start something but if someone starts it with you, you better finish it."   Now there is a time and place for that. You do not want to be selfish and hurt your team or hurt someone intentionally.  But by the same token, if some punk is starting up something with my kid, my kid better not take it.  

Please do not look into reproducing...

As a native to the area. I would be ashamed, and I wouldn’t tell anyone where I was from if they read half of these post. Put the past in the past and look to the future! Let the kids play without any derogatory remarks from fans. It’s a shame that the kids are more of adults than the adults. LEARN FROM THEM. I’m not taking sides, with reading these post and doing a little investigation and several phone calls to some friends from gate city and several friends from wise. I was told from both sides that when the player got hurt not one fan,coach,innocent bystander lashed out, and the student section from gate city started the Lord’s Prayer and everybody in the gym joined in “United” and prayed for the injured player. Bluedevil4life2008 stated that some of the fans are dough cowbell dudes that will fight for their players and if someone from gate city got hurt central better find a way out the back door that there would be fights and that is a promise. I will let you in on a something that may be a promise from the gate city side but the state will still see it as a threat 18.2-60. Threats of death or bodilyinjury to a person or member of his family; threats to commit serious bodily harm to persons on school property; penalty. A. 1. ... However, any person who violates this subsection with the intent to commit an act of terrorism as defined in § 18.2-46.4 is guilty of a Class 5 felony. 

A. 1. Any person who knowingly communicates, in a writing, including an electronically transmitted communication producing a visual or electronic message, a threat to kill or do bodily injury to a person, regarding that person or any member of his family, and the threat places such person in reasonable apprehension of death or bodily injury to himself or his family member, is guilty of a Class 6 felony. However, any person who violates this subsection with the intent to commit an act of terrorism as defined in § 18.2-46.4 is guilty of a Class 5 felony.

2. Any person who communicates a threat, in a writing, including an electronically transmitted communication producing a visual or electronic message, to kill or do bodily harm, (i) on the grounds or premises of any elementary, middle or secondary school property, (ii) at any elementary, middle or secondary school-sponsored event or (iii) on a school bus to any person or persons, regardless of whether the person who is the object of the threat actually receives the threat, and the threat would place the person who is the object of the threat in reasonable apprehension of death or bodily harm, is guilty of a Class 6 felony.

B. Any person who orally makes a threat to any employee of any elementary, middle or secondary school, while on a school bus, on school property or at a school-sponsored activity, to kill or to do bodily injury to such person, is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

A prosecution pursuant to this section may be either in the county, city or town in which the communication was made or received. 

Now let’s say there is a fight before,during,after 

18.2-57. Assault and battery; penalty.

A. Any person who commits a simple assault or assault and battery is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor, and if the person intentionally selects the person against whom a simple assault is committed because of his race, religious conviction, color or national origin, the penalty upon conviction shall include a term of confinement of at least six months, 30 days of which shall be a mandatory minimum term of confinement.

B. However, if a person intentionally selects the person against whom an assault and battery resulting in bodily injury is committed because of his race, religious conviction, color or national origin, the person is guilty of a Class 6 felony, and the penalty upon conviction shall include a term of confinement of at least six months, 30 days of which shall be a mandatory minimum term of confinement.

C. In addition, if any person commits an assault or an assault and battery against another knowing or having reason to know that such other person is a judge, a magistrate, a law-enforcement officer as defined in subsection F, a correctional officer as defined in § 53.1-1, a person directly involved in the care, treatment, or supervision of inmates in the custody of the Department of Corrections or an employee of a local or regional correctional facility directly involved in the care, treatment, or supervision of inmates in the custody of the facility, a person directly involved in the care, treatment, or supervision of persons in the custody of or under the supervision of the Department of Juvenile Justice, an employee or other individual who provides control, care, or treatment of sexually violent predators committed to the custody of the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services, a firefighter as defined in § 65.2-102, or a volunteer firefighter or any emergency medical services personnel member who is employed by or is a volunteer of an emergency medical services agency or as a member of a bona fide volunteer fire department or volunteer emergency medical services agency, regardless of whether a resolution has been adopted by the governing body of a political subdivision recognizing such firefighters or emergency medical services personnel as employees, engaged in the performance of his public duties anywhere in the Commonwealth, such person is guilty of a Class 6 felony, and, upon conviction, the sentence of such person shall include a mandatory minimum term of confinement of six months.

Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to affect the right of any person charged with a violation of this section from asserting and presenting evidence in support of any defenses to the charge that may be available under common law.

D. In addition, if any person commits a battery against another knowing or having reason to know that such other person is a full-time or part-time employee of any public or private elementary or secondary school and is engaged in the performance of his duties as such, he is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor and the sentence of such person upon conviction shall include a sentence of 15 days in jail, two days of which shall be a mandatory minimum term of confinement. However, if the offense is committed by use of a firearm or other weapon prohibited on school property pursuant to § 18.2-308.1, the person shall serve a mandatory minimum sentence of confinement of six months.

E. In addition, any person who commits a battery against another knowing or having reason to know that such individual is a health care provider as defined in § 8.01-581.1 who is engaged in the performance of his duties in a hospital or in an emergency room on the premises of any clinic or other facility rendering emergency medical care is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. The sentence of such person, upon conviction, shall include a term of confinement of 15 days in jail, two days of which shall be a mandatory minimum term of confinement.

F. As used in this section:

"Hospital" means a public or private institution licensed pursuant to Chapter 5 (§ 32.1-123 et seq.) of Title 32.1 or Article 2 (§ 37.2-403 et seq.) of Chapter 4 of Title 37.2.

"Judge" means any justice or judge of a court of record of the Commonwealth including a judge designated under § 17.1-105, a judge under temporary recall under § 17.1-106, or a judge pro tempore under § 17.1-109, any member of the State Corporation Commission, or of the Virginia Workers' Compensation Commission, and any judge of a district court of the Commonwealth or any substitute judge of such district court.

"Law-enforcement officer" means any full-time or part-time employee of a police department or sheriff's office that is part of or administered by the Commonwealth or any political subdivision thereof who is responsible for the prevention or detection of crime and the enforcement of the penal, traffic or highway laws of the Commonwealth, any conservation officer of the Department of Conservation and Recreation commissioned pursuant to § 10.1-115, any special agent of the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority, conservation police officers appointed pursuant to § 29.1-200, full-time sworn members of the enforcement division of the Department of Motor Vehicles appointed pursuant to § 46.2-217, and any employee with internal investigations authority designated by the Department of Corrections pursuant to subdivision 11 of § 53.1-10, and such officer also includes jail officers in local and regional correctional facilities, all deputy sheriffs, whether assigned to law-enforcement duties, court services or local jail responsibilities, auxiliary police officers appointed or provided for pursuant to §§ 15.2-1731 and 15.2-1733, auxiliary deputy sheriffs appointed pursuant to § 15.2-1603, police officers of the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority pursuant to § 5.1-158, and fire marshals appointed pursuant to § 27-30 when such fire marshals have police powers as set out in §§ 27-34.2 and 27-34.2:1.

"School security officer" means an individual who is employed by the local school board for the purpose of maintaining order and discipline, preventing crime, investigating violations of school board policies and detaining persons violating the law or school board policies on school property, a school bus or at a school-sponsored activity and who is responsible solely for ensuring the safety, security and welfare of all students, faculty and staff in the assigned school.

G. "Simple assault" or "assault and battery" shall not be construed to include the use of, by any school security officer or full-time or part-time employee of any public or private elementary or secondary school while acting in the course and scope of his official capacity, any of the following: (i) incidental, minor or reasonable physical contact or other actions designed to maintain order and control; (ii) reasonable and necessary force to quell a disturbance or remove a student from the scene of a disturbance that threatens physical injury to persons or damage to property; (iii) reasonable and necessary force to prevent a student from inflicting physical harm on himself; (iv) reasonable and necessary force for self-defense or the defense of others; or (v) reasonable and necessary force to obtain possession of weapons or other dangerous objects or controlled substances or associated paraphernalia that are upon the person of the student or within his control.

In determining whether a person was acting within the exceptions provided in this subsection, due deference shall be given to reasonable judgments that were made by a school security officer or full-time or part-time employee of any public or private elementary or secondary school at the time of the event. 

Now I am sure both fans read this forum and they tell people what was said on here. That being said I see wise sitting back and waiting for gate city to make the first move. My opinion

i see there is hard feelings from what happened in the past with McClung but nobody has real hard evidence that anything took place besides the push. One person said it was said in the locker room before the game, which that can’t be believed because opposing teams don’t go in each other’s locker room. So scratch that theory. (2) someone said a middle school student told a parent at halftime again not reliable or hard evedence(3) someone said it was said going to the locker room at halftime. Plosable but not hard evidence because the push happened the first half. I wasn’t there but I’m sure you are going to ask what makes me think that? The video that was posted on here shows the push at the goal where wise players are sitting which would be the first half. If it were the second half McClung would be going to the wrong goal should be going the other direction. So nobody from either side knows. My dad always told me 2 things growing up (1)“it’s better to sit there and look stupid than it is to opening your mouth and proving it” (2)”if you dont know what you are talking about or if you don’t know the truth don’t say anything you have no right” 

next I was able to gather a few facts and seems to be a starting trend and people will get mad, but I’m not here to make you happy if you are snowflake or your feelings get hurt easily this isn’t going to be for you. Please note that I asked several different people and they all concurred on what I’m about to say.

1. Gate city vs graham 

graham was up and something or someone did or said something in the stands which the gate city coach pretty had a melt down and pretty much stopped the game but couldn’t point out the suspect in question. 

2. Gate city vs Cleveland 

Cleveland was up when McClung got into a shoving/word exchange with a Cleveland player.

3. Gate city vs central 

central was up when gate city coach got not one but 2 technicals and was ejected from the game. 

4. Gate city vs central 

central was up when gate city coach had yet another break down after a call for traveling on one of his players. When the wise coach was clapping and gate city coach didn’t like it so he said a few curse words and he had a melt down. After the game a gate city fan was trying to provoke something and wise walked away. That was from one of their own. And guess what the players shook hands and gave a pat on the back for a good game. But the gate city fan wasn’t the adult after the game, the players were. I had 3 people from gate city tell me this. 

Note I wasn’t and never will go to any of these games at all in southwest Virginia which is a shame because I love my home town, But adults acting like babies and not letting things go is ridiculous. Let bygones be bygones and let the best team win in a good clean game and for god sake stop yelling obscene language. There is an old saying well not to old. Act your age and not your shoe size. Best of luck to the teams that are still playing I wish you the best. Let the odds forever be in your favor! 

8 hours ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

Here is what I know. Here at Gate City, we will never promise a win. We will never say that we are going to be the champions of a district, a region or a state or whatever game it is we are going to play before it ever happens.

giphy.gif

On 2/18/2019 at 10:01 PM, goofoti32 said:

It’s understandable to put a kid in the hospital with an intentional elbow? What planet are you living on?

It's understandable for a high school kid to get irritated and throw an elbow. Have you ever played basketball on any level, even just with friends? I used to play with friends in BSG and even though we were all friends, emotions sometimes got the better of people and stuff happened. I've seen grown men threaten each other,  hell ask @#BBN he saw me get hit during a pick up game one time (without him helping calm me down and get me away, I would've went to jail for being an ass, I didn't start the physical behavior but my mouth and not being in the right mind caused it) and it was just a friendly game with no stakes. Ramp up the intensity, mix in emotional teenagers and have them playing for something, and you get a recipe for sometimes emotions getting the best of the kids and physical incidents happen. It is completely understandable but also totally wrong. 

Wise has chosen to play a very physical style of basketball (sometimes to their detriment, some of their teams would have been much better playing a wide open system) and will push boundaries and prod and pry to see what they can get away with, it's nothing new for M7 fans or basketball in general. When physical play happens, kids sometimes react in wrong ways. Dean did, but acting as if he was trying to seriously injure someone is disingenuous. 

11 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

It's understandable for a high school kid to get irritated and throw an elbow. Have you ever played basketball on any level, even just with friends? I used to play with friends in BSG and even though we were all friends, emotions sometimes got the better of people and stuff happened. I've seen grown men threaten each other,  hell ask @BB03, he saw me get hit during a pick up game one time (without him helping calm me down and get me away, I would've went to jail for being an ass, I didn't start the physical behavior but my mouth and not being in the right mind caused it) and it was just a friendly game with no stakes. Ramp up the intensity, mix in emotional teenagers and have them playing for something, and you get a recipe for sometimes emotions getting the best of the kids and physical incidents happen. It is completely understandable but also totally wrong. 

Wise has chosen to play a very physical style of basketball (sometimes to their detriment, some of their teams would have been much better playing a wide open system) and will push boundaries and prod and pry to see what they can get away with, it's nothing new for M7 fans or basketball in general. When physical play happens, kids sometimes react in wrong ways. Dean did, but acting as if he was trying to seriously injure someone is disingenuous. 

A) If you watch that clip and don’t see intent to injure then you are completely unobjective. Of course he wasn’t trying to put him in the hospital, but he did. If you haul off and punch someone and they die...guess what...you don’t get off just because you didn’t intend to kill them. 

B) In real life, if you lose your temper and commit a crime, you still have to face the consequences of said crime. The only lesson apparently taught at GC is that if you are good at basketball, your coach and fans will not hold you accountable as long as you can help them win.  

26 minutes ago, goofoti32 said:

A) If you watch that clip and don’t see intent to injure then you are completely unobjective. Of course he wasn’t trying to put him in the hospital, but he did. If you haul off and punch someone and they die...guess what...you don’t get off just because you didn’t intend to kill them. 

B) In real life, if you lose your temper and commit a crime, you still have to face the consequences of said crime. The only lesson apparently taught at GC is that if you are good at basketball, your coach and fans will not hold you accountable as long as you can help them win.  

So what punishment did the 2 kids serve 2 years ago when they put McClung in the mat with malicious intent? 

4 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

So what punishment did the 2 kids serve 2 years ago when they put McClung in the mat with malicious intent? 

I don’t see any Central fans over here claiming moral high ground, but even if they were the “but they did it too” defense isn’t a great look. 

17 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Talked with someone little bit ago to find out and from what they stated was they sat a half. And they also stated that was more than what the player from gate city. But the video I seen of the push was no where near malicious intent. More of a Intentional foul, and the video of the wise player that got injured and what I was told taken to the hospital with a severe concussion and wouldn’t be back this season, would fit more of the definition “malicious” because there was injury. Someone said on here that the wise boy was elbowing first. So I watched the clip again and all I seen were hand checks which didn’t need to be resulted in an elbow to the head. It’s hard to watch both clips. But the wise player was really bad. I haven’t been to a game in the last 3 years. But I was confused on this mess. So I called some friends and the response that I got back was incredibly shocking. May want to read my earlier post it’s quite lengthy. But worth a read. 

1 hour ago, goofoti32 said:

No one died, you're being very dramatic. I said it was understandable, not that it was okay. If a father (since you're so into killing for some reason) kills someone who hurt his children, it's understandable yet still wrong. What part of that do you not understand? I'm not defending what Dean did, I said it was understandable that a kid, during apparently a very, very chippy basketball game, throws an elbow at another kid. 

That last part is rich coming from someone defending Wise. If McClung had tore his ACL or shattered his knee from a Wise hard foul, should McClung sue Wise for loss of scholarship and potential earnings? Accidents happen. It really sucks Lester got hurt, no one wanted that. But trying to add further intent is dumb. 

13 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

No one died, you're being very dramatic. I said it was understandable, not that it was okay. If a father (since you're so into killing for some reason) kills someone who hurt his children, it's understandable yet still wrong. What part of that do you not understand? I'm not defending what Dean did, I said it was understandable that a kid, during apparently a very, very chippy basketball game, throws an elbow at another kid. 

That last part is rich coming from someone defending Wise. If McClung had tore his ACL or shattered his knee from a Wise hard foul, should McClung sue Wise for loss of scholarship and potential earnings? Accidents happen. It really sucks Lester got hurt, no one wanted that. But trying to add further intent is dumb. 

No one added further intent to anything. In the first quarter (?!?) of a “very chippy game” GC’s star player threw an intentional elbow...not an accidental one...that resulted in a kid going to the hospital with a concussion.   The perpetrator was not ejected, not suspended by his coach, and there were no consequences. These are indisputable facts.

I suppose under your premise it would be “understandable” (but still wrong) if a kid from Wise put Dean in the hospital tomorrow as retribution.  After all, these are very chippy games we are talking about here. 

And before you misunderstand-these are kids we are talking about so I  wouldn’t want any injuries to occur ever. I’m just pointing out how fantastically ignorant it is to say that it is “understandable” when a kid hurts another kid intentionally and isn’t punished in any way. 

I hope Gate City posters realize what they have accomplished. I am officially calling it: in the previous six months of material posted on SWVASports, they have officially surpassed Abingdon as the "most disliked fan base by their neighbors" in SWVA.

This thread has gotten a little ridiculous in my opinion.  Hopefully, some people can put aside this drama and enjoy what I believe has the potential to be a great basketball game tonight.  Depending on which Central team shows up tonight, GC better play better then they did against Lebanon or they very well could be done.  Central hasn't been very consistent this season but they have been as of late.  I believe GC will come out on top but I don't think it will be a blowout. 

5 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

I hope Gate City posters realize what they have accomplished. I am officially calling it: in the previous six months of material posted on SWVASports, they have officially surpassed Abingdon as the "most disliked fan base by their neighbors" in SWVA.

Post of the 2018-2019 academic year.

Expoaeitall…………..I love it how you tell everyone to "put the past in the past", and then continue to type one of the longest posts in this board's history. Plus, you then talk about doing some investigation and make several calls. Not exactly leaving it in the past.

You appear to not want to give some posts on this board any validity because they contain things that were being told second hand, but pretty much everything you cite you were told is second hand. Classic.

"One person said it was said in the locker room before the game, which that can’t be believed because opposing teams don’t go in each other’s locker room"   Hey...…..I think that was me. Never said it was a GC team member in the locker room. Actually, don't think I ever said they person who said that about Wise was in the locker room. Believe I said it was overheard when Wise was in their locker room. Is your misquote of me an example of your objective investigation? Love it.

Also pretty cool how your "objective" investigation lists 4 negative things about GC. Fair and balanced...…...right?

How about you talk to some fans from Union and see what their thoughts are on the Central basketball team? Maybe check with some other teams also? Just maybe you will find out that there are other teams that have some issues with Central. 

Go to some games and make up you own mind. Until then you are just repeating things you were told, and incorporating your own spin. 

Back to the game...…...if GC plays like they did against Lebanon, we will lose by 15+. Hope both teams play their best, and it is a good, clean game. Safe travels to everyone making the trip.

7 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

Gate City posters = Grayson Allen?

45 minutes ago, Great City said:

Expoaeitall…………..I love it how you tell everyone to "put the past in the past", and then continue to type one of the longest posts in this board's history. Plus, you then talk about doing some investigation and make several calls. Not exactly leaving it in the past.

You appear to not want to give some posts on this board any validity because they contain things that were being told second hand, but pretty much everything you cite you were told is second hand. Classic.

"One person said it was said in the locker room before the game, which that can’t be believed because opposing teams don’t go in each other’s locker room"   Hey...…..I think that was me. Never said it was a GC team member in the locker room. Actually, don't think I ever said they person who said that about Wise was in the locker room. Believe I said it was overheard when Wise was in their locker room. Is your misquote of me an example of your objective investigation? Love it.

Also pretty cool how your "objective" investigation lists 4 negative things about GC. Fair and balanced...…...right?

How about you talk to some fans from Union and see what their thoughts are on the Central basketball team? Maybe check with some other teams also? Just maybe you will find out that there are other teams that have some issues with Central. 

Go to some games and make up you own mind. Until then you are just repeating things you were told, and incorporating your own spin. 

Back to the game...…...if GC plays like they did against Lebanon, we will lose by 15+. Hope both teams play their best, and it is a good, clean game. Safe travels to everyone making the trip.

Spot on.  

10 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

They hate us cause they McAnus.