Martinsville

Burrall’s Pearls

Why can’t Wise Central girls play at Virginia High? It works both ways. GC won the Region D, it’s their choice, sorry but that’s how it goes. My opinion is that boys and girls should play on separate days because of this issue. Plus GC historically does not play well at UVA-Wise, not sure why, it’s probably a mental block. That’s why GC was tickled when Graham wanted the State Semifinal game at Tazewell last year.

But Gate City has won some historic games at VHS in the past. Good choice by Scotty, Brent, and all involved to have it at the Bearcat Den. Most GC fans much rather travel to VHS vs UVA-Wise. Plus having just 2 games at each venue will keep fans from arguing over seating and parking. 

If the Lady Dogs beat Floyd Co tomorrow night then they would play Ridgeview at Magna Vista on Friday so it is what it is. Martinsville will not bring many fans whether they play at Wise or Bristol, maybe would have been a few more if they played at the same site but not enough that you would have noticed. The Dogs fans dont travel like they used to.

25 minutes ago, sportsnut said:

If Radford and Gate City both win where do they play the semi-final game?

It would be Radford's choice.  They are playing Graham at Pulaski Co. High School I believe, so maybe there.  Last year they played GC at Radford University so who knows but IF it is those two teams then it will be played somewhere near Radford.

5 hours ago, Beamerball said:

Already 2 games at Wise anyway, no need to extend things later.  Those 3-4 game ideas, especially on a weekday, are the worst.

Don’t disagree, would’ve made more sense to play AA at Va High and A at Wise or vice versa.

Question on Radford and Gate City.  If both win, WHY is it Radford's choice as to where the game is played?  I know there is a process for them being allowed to make that choice and play close to home, but my question is why, or what is the process?  How's it work?

20 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Why can’t Wise Central girls play at Virginia High? It works both ways. GC won the Region D, it’s their choice, sorry but that’s how it goes. My opinion is that boys and girls should play on separate days because of this issue. Plus GC historically does not play well at UVA-Wise, not sure why, it’s probably a mental block. That’s why GC was tickled when Graham wanted the State Semifinal game at Tazewell last year.

But Gate City has won some historic games at VHS in the past. Good choice by Scotty, Brent, and all involved to have it at the Bearcat Den. Most GC fans much rather travel to VHS vs UVA-Wise. Plus having just 2 games at each venue will keep fans from arguing over seating and parking. 

I'm a firm believer that when you win the region,you should have your choice of where to host providing that the venue is acceptable for seating and parking. UVAW is the best place around

Bulletin Sports @BulletinSport

REGION 2C GIRLS FINAL: Floyd County 62, Martinsville 51. Martinsville's LaTroya Gravely was named region player of the year.

Bulletin Sports @BulletinSport
Martinsville will travel to UVA-Wise Friday night to take on Central-Wise at 6:30 pm

great state

1 hour ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Question on Radford and Gate City.  If both win, WHY is it Radford's choice as to where the game is played?  I know there is a process for them being allowed to make that choice and play close to home, but my question is why, or what is the process?  How's it work?

Alternating between Region C and D every year. Both Region D teams made it last year. Since Graham was the 1 seed, they had the choice as to where GC/Graham game was to be played. If both Region D teams make it to the Semifinals this year, GC would have the choice over Graham since they are the 1 seed and nobody from Region C made it. 

28 minutes ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Anybody think Martinsville has a shot at beating GC??

Most definitely!  GC may be favored but they can easily lose as can Radford.  I'm obviously hoping GC wins but all the teams left at this point are capable of beating anybody on a given night.

The Dogs have done well to do the things they have done this year. They only play 6 kids, only 1 who played any significant minutes last year. They play very hard, are very coachable. Coach Adkins has said on multiple occasions this year that this has been his favorite team to coach. They have been alot of fun to watch this year, but I'm afraid it comes to an end this Friday. They'll give it their best shot but just dont think they have enough for Gate City.

Any given night. GC must show up and play their game. The 4th quarter vs Graham showed glimpses of what this team can be. We finally clicked with Zac being back and he started feeling his shot. Hopefully the 6 days off doesn’t kill it. GC must worry about GC and play their game and let the chips fall where they fall. Martinsville looks long and athletic, GC must play good defense and prevent fast breaks while limiting #3 and #35. Go Big Blue! 

If GC can play close to the way they were playing at the start of the season I like their chances against anyone.  If the same GC team that I've seen as of lately shows up.....the one that chucks up alot of 3s even when they arent going in and doesnt work for good shots....the season ends for the Devils this Friday.  This team is very capable of another title but I havent seen that drive from them since December.  The dogs will turn the dial up on defense so the Devils better be ready for the pressure.  

I know Martinsville program has just been outstanding over the years, with all those state championships, but this season it's hard to measure how good they really are. Loosing to Radford by 14 still makes it hard for me to see how they match up with GC. I think  if GC at it's very best shows up they win, but if they slack then may be a long night. Go GC though!

16 hours ago, Hokie101 said:

Most definitely!  GC may be favored but they can easily lose as can Radford.  I'm obviously hoping GC wins but all the teams left at this point are capable of beating anybody on a given night.

Radford isn't losing to Graham, no chance. GC should beat Martinsville.

57 minutes ago, Union's hammer said:

Easy bigwinners you will poke the Graham bear now.

The only Union fan that got the bear is the one (singular) that predicted Union over Graham based on one (1) bad game.  That’s no less idiotic now than it was then.  

Every Graham fan knows their season ends against Radford.  Done been thumped once, and likely gonna get thumped again.

I think Gate City and Martinsville is far from a slam dunk for Gate City.  As a matter of fact, I think this game is a toss up or 50-50 type game.  I hope Gate City wins, but I'm just not sure Gate City is 8 points better than Martinsville, and 8 points ain't enough to be confident at the High School level.