Marion Job

falconfan1

Tough job if he's going to Person County.  Rural school forced to play the schools in the Raleigh-Durham and Greensboro areas.  To give you perspective, Person typically plays GW Danville or Halifax as a "break" from the gauntlet they face within their conference.

I would be surprised if a hire didn't come from within the program, or at least from within the county, just based on the school's track record and how quiet they are keeping things.

I hate to see Carroll go, though. He was probably the best coach in terms of consistency that Marion has had since the Bill Earp/ Moe Weaver days of the 60s and 70s, with his only real competition being Steve Wright (good company to have). Even in down years, you knew you were going to have your hands full when Marion came to town. But I don't fault him at all; virtually any move would be a more ideal situation than working in Smyth County and dealing with the extracurriculars that have been tacked onto the program the past couple of years. If there's one thing that's for certain, Person gained a quality coach and all around good guy, and I hope he can turn their fortunes around.

For what it's worth, Carroll is leaving Marion at #3 on the all-time wins column, behind #1Bill Earp and #2 Steve Wright, both of whom had longer tenures. He also has the record for most playoff appearances and playoff victories, and is third in win percentage since World War II behind Moe Weaver and Bill Earp. Not bad considering the shape the program was in when he took over, and the fact that the school was at its lowest enrollment since the 50s under his tenure. 

• 3 weeks later...