Lee Has a Vacancy

Unchained

On 3/18/2019 at 2:44 PM, falconfan1 said:

Why don't you go ahead and apply for the job?  You have applied for many others.  Don't forget, the Marion job is open as well.

No body in their right mind would take the job.  With the history of interference from parents to the school board you will not be able to do what you want.  With a history of a max of three years and done.  Not going to attract as nyone any good anyway.

3 hours ago, Old Round Ball said:

No body in their right mind would take the job.  With the history of interference from parents to the school board you will not be able to do what you want.  With a history of a max of three years and done.  Not going to attract as nyone any good anyway.

I hate hearing this stuff.  I'm so sick of those excuses.  It doesn't matter where you go, in some way those people will always be a problem.  Success has been found at Lee under the right circumstances.  Sanders had a good thing going before going back home to Mississippi....Williams retired at a bad time..right before the season started.  Girls basketball had a run for a while not long ago.  Boys have seen off and on success over the years.  Roger Morris proved the baseball could be turned around...and he did it in just 2 years with a program that had a long losing history, unfortunately he retired quick.  Softball had some years under Twigg before he retired.  Lee used to have a strong track program.

I hear so often... I do understand better opportunities exist and I don't blame anyone for reaching higher. There are good people here though and I believe in due time, if the right people step up (and I've seen some encouraging news in some good, young ones running for office this upcoming election), then good things can come.  It takes people who are willing to settle for a little less I guess and to have real thick skin...but they do exist.  I hope people see some good in finding places like Lee to work and turn things around.

Something that is a turn off is the board. Everytime it changes head football coach changes. Can't build anything like that. Martin was doing a decent job..board changes he is out. You will never build anything doing that. Boys basketball job has been same way here lately. 

So many complain about the same things, but when the same people run or you have person for a position, it will never change.   We so desperately need people to step up and step in to fight against the old regime.

The school board hasn’t seemed to be the problem this time, basically an entire new board and from what I have been told they have done a lot of good. The problem still and has always been parents who know more than the coaches (sarcasm). It is bad everywhere, but it seems to be worse there. If you want to know anything go to someone who works at the prison and talk to those guys, that seems to be information central. 

Hearing now there is a big push for Gerald Sensebaugh. All I can say is that guy with those parents, that should be fun.

I have heard Sensebaugh voiced an interest.  Id say thats hearsay though.  Another name I heard was BI Salyers.  He has  lot of time in in VA and a decent amount in TN.  Son has graduated from DB and would be around 10 years away from retirement in VA I would believe.  I also would wonder if Barry Jones wants another shot at being  a head coach.

13 hours ago, Beamerball said:

So many complain about the same things, but when the same people run or you have person for a position, it will never change.   We so desperately need people to step up and step in to fight against the old regime.

I would agree with you on changing the board.  This one in particular has had their nose in a lot of things.  Coomer was forced out at TW by District one BM.  Johnson has done good so far in that position.  From what I was told Coomer didn't feel comfortable there.  When the board tried to build new middle schools that was a flop, the county doesn't seem to have enough tax base to support the plan.  Then the circulated the rumor of breaking Lee High in to two high school that seemed to an even bigger farce.  I know of 35 kids that are at Union that have Lee County addresses.  Mason Poiler and Nate Bailey two super athletes are playing at Union.  Former Lee High And UVA-Wise standout Mekenzie Cluesman is coaching at Union.  Cluesman interviewed for the girls position and would have been a great fit, what went wrong?  I was told by here dad at Union one night that the AD's lied to her.  Yes sounds like a lot of the blame lies with the board for their hiring practices but Lee High shares some of the blame. Letting Tim Johnson go could turn out to be a mistake, possible Football or Boys Basketball HC was not out of his capabilities.   How many former coaches are now teachers at Lee High?  Can someone answer that question?

My coworker has the opinion that the board fired the previous coach, gave it to the one who just resigned, and didn’t want him to leave.   He also said he felt the resignation is just for a few years because last years coach doesn’t think they will be good for a couple years and then will be back.  He already had his name tied to a bad season when coomer was the head coach.  

So his opinion is this board is the reason for the mess.   If you hire someone who is a poor coach then it’s their fault.  Also he blames this board for both of those boys going to union. He said they are both good athletes and good boys with good families. Of course we know what opinions are like and everyone has one.  

Sad days for our generals friends. 

4 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

Wonder if Rhoads would apply? he may want to run with the big dogs in AA , he has the talent for "D" and who knows who he may pull back from UNION

That’s what I wonder.  

9 hours ago, f00tba11c0ach said:

Hearing now there is a big push for Gerald Sensebaugh. All I can say is that guy with those parents, that should be fun.

Agreed, that battle would be fun to watch, but that's all I'd say.

I still long for a day when we can get past Pennington/Jonesville and rally around Lee High as communities coming together for the kids.  Starts with the parents.

1 hour ago, Beamerball said:

I still long for a day when we can get past Pennington/Jonesville and rally around Lee High as communities coming together for the kids.  

It’s insane to me that this is still happening. PHS & JHS had been gone at least 13 years before the class of 20 was born. I sat with some friends on the Lee side during the GC \ Lee game & PMS shirts outnumbered Lee High shirts two to one. 

1 hour ago, Grapeape said:

It’s insane to me that this is still happening. PHS & JHS had been gone at least 13 years before the class of 20 was born. I sat with some friends on the Lee side during the GC \ Lee game & PMS shirts outnumbered Lee High shirts two to one. 

Yes that seems to be the case.  It has always thought to be Pennington High School extended.  Even the school board leans that way from what my Lee County friends tell me.  Three members from the Pennington Gap area one from Jonesville.  The fifth member he says has changed complete control of Thomas Walker.  Some people cannot move on!

• 1 month later...

Well the school board had some really good applications. Needless to say one stood out and was an immediate hire. Since the AD is good friends with the school board members, and he is also the ex-coach, the hire was well thought out but difficult to find. The qualifications appear to be that first he  must allow the AD to pick the staff, second he must not know anyone much in the area, and thirdly, and most importantly, he  must make the former coach { current AD } look like a brilliant football mind. The new coach is from Cumberland County , TN - home of the Jets. Last year 0-10. Something like 4-37 in the last 4 years. The new coach was the OC and last year the team put an amazing 37 points on the board  while giving up over 470. This means that unless every other team they played  had a coach like Coach Robbins was at PVH , the offense could not score against the scubs who showed up when the slaughter rule took affect{ if they have it in TN}. I am sure the search was a grueling process because locating such an individual had to have been very difficult if not nearly impossible - however THEY DID IT. For once the Lee County School board has accomplished what they intended . Congratulations. Gonna be a great year to be at Five Star Stadium. Of course one never knows if we are lucky the new couch has fooled everyone and is a BEAST. I hope he makes the school board look like the fools they are and wins 8-10 games. Go Red.

Forget who played....can anyone shed light on a "upside" for this pick considering they had over 10 applicants?  Teaches advanced biology?? French?? Daddy owns a coal mine and gonna fix track and install turf??

Gotta be something there.

13 hours ago, Grapeape said:

Why would you hire a man that never played the game he’s coaching? 

Playing the game gives you some perspective, but not the total aspect of the game.  Being a student of the game and applying that to your coaching philosophy can be just as valuable.  I guess it's about dedication and drive.  If you played the game and think the way it was played when you participated and never evolve, you could end up being a bad coach also.  If you are a student of the game and continue to grow and learn the game, even never having played a down, you could still be a quality coach and mentor to young men.

I guess what I'm trying to say is.  Sometimes players don't make good coaches and some non players do.  It all comes down to dedication and drive to be great at your craft.

And yes I played the game from when I was 6 years old through high school.