Next VT Basketball Coach

Ryan4VT

15 hours ago, GMan said:

I'll give him a chance but think this will lead to seven more years of bad VT basketball...

When I first heard of the hire I was in the same boat. After having more time to think about it I like the hire as long as he's surrounded with a staff of strong recruiters. He can obviously coach and develop talent but there will be numerous hurdles in getting recruits to give Blacksburg a chance. I believe Young cares a lot about Virginia Tech with his SWVA roots. Buzz was always one foot out the door so it will be nice to have a coach who is loyal to the school. It will take time but hopefully it works out. 

3 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

The only names that appear to have been on the "list" that we'll ever know about are Young, Ryan Odom, and Kevin Willard.

But I think it's reasonable to believe that Forbes was at least on the radar.  He is doing a great job at ETSU and probably gets some looks from ADs at "higher level" schools.  My opinion is that the combination of relatively short tenure as a Division I head coach and his age probably work against him.  Seems like a fantastic fit for the job he currently holds.  (Of course that last statement applies just as much to Young at Wofford -- but he had some other intangible qualities that moved the needle, comparatively speaking.)

If Musselman doesnt take the Arkansas job Forbes has a moving service boxing up stuff right now with a destination for Fayetteville,

41 minutes ago, Bearcat Bob said:

Don’t be surprised when Auburn is hit with sanctions from the Pearl era. The guy is shady at best...

Bruce may have finally figured out how to keep things just outside of arms length reach of him directly.   I personally wouldnt trust him around the corner of the building.  Heckuva coach who knows how to work the press but hes slime.

Wofford's coach  has left for Blacksburg.  Here are some interesting scenarios.  

Mike Young from Wofford goes to Blacksburg after Buzz Williams moves from Blacksburg to College Station, Texas. 

Buzz Williams and staff did not want Mac McClung during his recruitment.  McClung goes to Georgetown. 

Zac Ervin recruited by Mike Young from Wofford signs under him.  Young goes to Virginia Tech. 

Mike Young, while at Wofford, knows all about Zac Ervin and Mac McClung as players after having both of them and the Gate City team at his team camp. 

Scenario.  Virginia Tech has recruits back out of commitments because of Buzz leaving Blacksburg.  Does Mike Young take Zac Ervin with him to Virginia Tech? 

Scenario:  If Mike Young keeps Zac Ervin with him to Virginia Tech because of how he fits his system does that also allow Mac McClung to entertain the thought of leaving Georgetown and head south to redshirt a year and have three years left to play with his high school teammate in Blacksburg?  I would be about positive that Mike Young would take a transfer from Georgetown who played in the Big East and was on the All Freshman team not to mention the teams third leading scorer.  Blacksburg would definitely have a distinct Southwest Virginia flavor. 

Just some things to think about with the new regime being in Blacksburg now.  It may seem a little out there to most of you but think about Mac and Zac playing together the past few years together in the Arby's.  They held their own against some very good talent as young players. This could be something to think about. 

15 hours ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

Wofford's coach  has left for Blacksburg.  Here are some interesting scenarios.  

Mike Young from Wofford goes to Blacksburg after Buzz Williams moves from Blacksburg to College Station, Texas. 

Buzz Williams and staff did not want Mac McClung during his recruitment.  McClung goes to Georgetown. 

Zac Ervin recruited by Mike Young from Wofford signs under him.  Young goes to Virginia Tech. 

Mike Young, while at Wofford, knows all about Zac Ervin and Mac McClung as players after having both of them and the Gate City team at his team camp. 

Scenario.  Virginia Tech has recruits back out of commitments because of Buzz leaving Blacksburg.  Does Mike Young take Zac Ervin with him to Virginia Tech? 

Scenario:  If Mike Young keeps Zac Ervin with him to Virginia Tech because of how he fits his system does that also allow Mac McClung to entertain the thought of leaving Georgetown and head south to redshirt a year and have three years left to play with his high school teammate in Blacksburg?  I would be about positive that Mike Young would take a transfer from Georgetown who played in the Big East and was on the All Freshman team not to mention the teams third leading scorer.  Blacksburg would definitely have a distinct Southwest Virginia flavor. 

Just some things to think about with the new regime being in Blacksburg now.  It may seem a little out there to most of you but think about Mac and Zac playing together the past few years together in the Arby's.  They held their own against some very good talent as young players. This could be something to think about. 

Right now, they just need bodies to fill the roster.

Be interesting to see where things go from here for Zac.  I'm sure there will be offers pouring in over the next few weeks.   Appy State sent one out just a few hours ago.  I'd love to see Zac follow Young to VT and Mac get the chance to leave Georgetown and transfer to VT as well.  Probably a pipe dream but it would be pretty cool for them to finish out their collegiate careers together.  

Id be glad to be wrong but I dont think he will make the move to Tech with Young.  I could possibly see Sun Belt/Conf USA as a landing spot but not a P5 school.  Wherever he goes I hope its successful for him whether athletically or more importantly academically.