UNION QB ???

jarhead24219

The QB position has become a issue with UNION,I was told that ANDY JONES has decided not to play football, instead just to focus on BASKETBALL.I guess the AAU coaches told him that would serve him best.ANDY is a very talented kid and I think his AAU coach maybe thinking of his summer league team and not the kids best interest.Now BRODY GIBSON gets the nod,he is a gun-slinger too, but I have heard we will be HUGE in the backfield and very fast at wideout.

This is the problem with high school sports right now, too much specialization. If you have a good athlete, and they enjoy playing multiple sports, that need to play. Instead, you get a coach in his or her ear saying focus on this and you will be great, or don't play that you might get hurt. Any school in SWVA, I don't care where it is and what size, is only drawing from a limited number of kids anyway, if you have 700 kids, you might draw from half or less of that. So when you take a kid who is a stud out of the mix, it can really hurt a program. No sense in coaches ever discouraging a kid from playing a sport, you are only hurting your school and his team mates. 

I know ANDYS dad is on this board so maybe he can speak about the reason he has decided to drop football.We have to remember that JAMES MITCHELL was considered a basketball star to be when he was younger, I just think that ANDY had the arm and ability to be the best QB at UNION ever, but now we will never know......... 

3 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

I guess the AAU coaches told him that would serve him best.ANDY is a very talented kid and I think his AAU coach maybe thinking of his summer league team and not the kids best interest.

Time to get a new AAU coach. College coaches do not prefer specialization. They want well rounded athletes. 

8 hours ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

Maybe the kid just wanted to play basketball?

Nothing wrong with that, I think even Burrell Paye kinda wanted his players in the gym and not on the field, JIMMY MITCHELL and CATBIRD were exceptions during the state title run. Ihave seen him play both sports , and I would say that he has a better shot at a football offer than basketball(he is very good in both)When you compare the % of high school who get offers from div 1 schools they are this: baseball 2.2%, basketball 1.0% and football 2.8%, so as you can see its a numbers game. The kid has great size and arm strength , and you cant coach height. Good luck 

Seems to be the trend at PV/Union the last 10-15. When football is rolling b-ball is just ok when b-ball is rolling football is ok. Reminds me of the Tyler Vernon years when he didn’t play football but the b-ball team made the state tournament. 

I think a decision not to play football is a pretty easy one to make now! With CTE issues and the great unknown of the damage it does, if you can make it to college on scholarship in another sport, you are wise to do so. At a football crazed school like Union it is probably insulting not to play. Somebody, somewhere has done some thinking with their head instead of their heart and realized that education can get paid for by other means and that you can still be able to tie your shoes and recognize your children when you are 60! 

I agree with what SXSW says above regarding CTE / concussions, etc.  At the same time, I feel that the group on this page are all die hard Union fans, and we believe this young man needs to play football.  Hopefully, some of his teammates will speak with him at the end of school and over the summer, and potentially change his mind before the season kicks off next fall.  But I wish the young man all the best with whatever choices he decides to make.  If it's not him, hopefully we can find the right person going forward at quarterback.   

Ok if the kid chose on his own not to play football then that is completely fine, but use common sense.

Assistant coach was at Eastside and none of the basketball players played football, as soon as he left they all start playing football. Now he is at Union and it is becoming a problem there. 

On 4/17/2019 at 7:43 AM, jarhead24219 said:

The QB position has become a issue with UNION,I was told that ANDY JONES has decided not to play football, instead just to focus on BASKETBALL.

THAT is unfortunate!

On 4/20/2019 at 7:30 PM, #1BLUESFAN said:

I don't know the kid but when 7 on 7s roll around he will feel the hunger for football and be out there...id bout bet on it..

I sure hope so.

Who is the team to beat thus year?   I would have to say rv would be considered the favorite.  I feel like everyone else will be chasing them.  Abingdon should be strong....gc, lee, wise fighting for who going to be last and battle should be better.   Thoughts?  Info?

1.  I feel this year that Graham (Last years state champions) has a lot of returning players, and will be the team to beat until someone knocks them off. 

2.  Abingdon will do really well playing 2A teams around SWVA; until they have to play 3A playoffs. 

3.  Ridgeview will have a nice team returning, if they get everyone back.

4.  Pretty much from here, Union, Richlands, and everyone else has a lot of work to do to compete.  I'm not sure how things are going to turn out after the top 2-3 teams. 

I think Graham, and Abingdon will be two good teams.  Ridgeview should be decent until the playoffs. Union, and Richlands will surprise some people, and the rest is up in the air.  These four teams always seem to field the better teams in the area, and I hope Gate City,and Tazewell improves this year, tired of seeing these two team struggle.  One thing for sure, it'll be an interesting season. 

Graham is a gigantic favorite in Region D.  If they do not come out of this region and onto the state semi's, it will be a huge upset. Anything can happen though and injuries change things, but at least heading into the season, Graham's the heavy favorite in 2A Region D. The first game for Graham may be a critical one in their run to repeat or advance to the state title.  Appomattox will be loaded and favored over Radford in Region C, and the Graham vs Bluefield game at the beginning of the season could very possibly determine where that state semi's game is played regarding power points/ranking. But, the season hasn't started and lots of "ifs," but I'm picking Graham in Region D, and to play Appo in the semi's, and I think if Graham beats Bluefield, they will host Appomattox, and if they lose to Bluefield, they are traveling to Appo.

Graham would probably be the best bet to repeat in Region D if not the state.  Ridgeview's defense will still be strong.  Sproles and a couple other Ridgeview players are staying active by playing with a NETN 7 on 7 team.  Offense will be ok.  Phillips did a decent job last season in garbage time duty at QB for the Wolfpack throwing and running for a few scores.  I think Ridgeview will be fine.

3 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Graham would probably be the best bet to repeat in Region D if not the state.  Ridgeview's defense will still be strong.  Sproles and a couple other Ridgeview players are staying active by playing with a NETN 7 on 7 team.  Offense will be ok.  Phillips did a decent job last season in garbage time duty at QB for the Wolfpack throwing and running for a few scores.  I think Ridgeview will be fine.

was sexton a senior? and is most of the line back

On 4/23/2019 at 7:09 PM, Hokie1Pokie said:

Graham is a gigantic favorite in Region D.  If they do not come out of this region and onto the state semi's, it will be a huge upset. Anything can happen though and injuries change things, but at least heading into the season, Graham's the heavy favorite in 2A Region D. The first game for Graham may be a critical one in their run to repeat or advance to the state title.  Appomattox will be loaded and favored over Radford in Region C, and the Graham vs Bluefield game at the beginning of the season could very possibly determine where that state semi's game is played regarding power points/ranking. But, the season hasn't started and lots of "ifs," but I'm picking Graham in Region D, and to play Appo in the semi's, and I think if Graham beats Bluefield, they will host Appomattox, and if they lose to Bluefield, they are traveling to Appo.

Graham won’t beat Bluefield, and Appomattox is such a prohibitive favorite that you couldn’t give me odds high enough to bet against them.