UNION QB ???

jarhead24219

On 4/23/2019 at 7:09 PM, Hokie1Pokie said:

Graham is a gigantic favorite in Region D.  If they do not come out of this region and onto the state semi's, it will be a huge upset. Anything can happen though and injuries change things, but at least heading into the season, Graham's the heavy favorite in 2A Region D. The first game for Graham may be a critical one in their run to repeat or advance to the state title.  Appomattox will be loaded and favored over Radford in Region C, and the Graham vs Bluefield game at the beginning of the season could very possibly determine where that state semi's game is played regarding power points/ranking. But, the season hasn't started and lots of "ifs," but I'm picking Graham in Region D, and to play Appo in the semi's, and I think if Graham beats Bluefield, they will host Appomattox, and if they lose to Bluefield, they are traveling to Appo.

I've not went into full blown football mode yet but didn't Graham lose a lot and Ridgeview returns alot.

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

I've not went into full blown football mode yet but didn't Graham lose a lot and Ridgeview returns alot.

Graham lost QB and a few others but should be favorite in D.  Ridgeview lost QB, Sexton, older Sproles kid.  Entire O Line and a couple recievers   .  Abingdon should be favorite in the Mountain 7  I have Union and Ridgeview playing for 2nd place with Union a slight favorite due to graduation.

Don't forget about Battle, they only lost three off their D and four that got playing time off of O. They put up tough fights against everyone but Abingdon and PH. The big question is who is going to feel Stones position. 

12 minutes ago, bristol8434 said:

Don't forget about Battle, they only lost three off their D and four that got playing time off of O. They put up tough fights against everyone but Abingdon and PH. The big question is who is going to feel Stones position. 

Are you saying Battle has a chance to win Region D?

7 hours ago, HaloSports2 said:

Ridgeview didn't lose as much as you think they did.

Im going by roster from last year.  I suppose they have some moving up from JV  All I know is they graduated a ton

17 hours ago, Bigtom said:

I am telling you to not sleep on Central this year,  Much improved and a year older

I learned last week that a key Ridgeview lineman transferred to Central and transferred back less than a week later... so I am guessing that grass wasn't greener on the hill above the Walmart?

5 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I learned last week that a key Ridgeview lineman transferred to Central and transferred back less than a week later... so I am guessing that grass wasn't greener on the hill above the Walmart?

So does that mean he will be ineligible for 365 days now? 

On 4/25/2019 at 1:04 PM, UVAObserver said:

Graham won’t beat Bluefield, and Appomattox is such a prohibitive favorite that you couldn’t give me odds high enough to bet against them.

Disagree with you on Bluefield. I would favor Bluefield, but Bluefield isn't a slam dunk to beat Graham this year. Agree on Appo. Hard to pick against them. 

Appo is still somewhat young, but if anyone from C/D is gonna get them, better be this year.

And I hate gossiping on here about a HS soph and his decisions. If he wants to play, good for him. If not, that's cool too.

Union will be nasty on defense and has 3-4 very capable RBs with Polier, Guerrant, Lomax and someone else. But the OL has to be rebuilt and Union needs consistent QB play.

Bears will have one of the better defenses in Region D, But the offense is a big ?  I expect Abingdon to be the best with Union and RV battling for second and a top 4 seed in region. No one is scared of Wise or Battle.

Abingdon will definitely be reloading and not rebuilding this year.  They will be replacing some key elements but should be fine with the depth they had last year and the number of players that got playing time.  The battle for the top spot in the Mountain 7 will be between Abingdon, Union and Ridgeview. 

On 4/23/2019 at 9:18 AM, who? said:

Who is the team to beat thus year?   I would have to say rv would be considered the favorite.  I feel like everyone else will be chasing them.  Abingdon should be strong....gc, lee, wise fighting for who going to be last and battle should be better.   Thoughts?  Info?

In my humble biased opinion, I feel like Graham is the team to beat in Region D even without Cam Allen. If their defense mirrors last year’s in the least (after about mid-season when they got their act together) & Lester going to QB, he’s not Cam but he’s close;  then GMen will be hard to beat. Richlands losing Moir will hurt them but with Forrest, he’s a phenomenal kicker but a kicker can’t carry the team. Union is always tough. If the kid decided on his own to not play, that’s his choice. I say let him be...if AAU coach convinced him not to, shame on him. Good athletes can excel at multiple sports. VHSL has so many things wrong with their decisions & rules these past few years. Adding year round practice is just one of many. Final note, hurry up August!!!! 

5 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

In my humble biased opinion, I feel like Graham is the team to beat in Region D even without Cam Allen. If their defense mirrors last year’s in the least (after about mid-season when they got their act together) & Lester going to QB, he’s not Cam but he’s close;  then GMen will be hard to beat. Richlands losing Moir will hurt them but with Forrest, he’s a phenomenal kicker but a kicker can’t carry the team. Union is always tough. If the kid decided on his own to not play, that’s his choice. I say let him be...if AAU coach convinced him not to, shame on him. Good athletes can excel at multiple sports. VHSL has so many things wrong with their decisions & rules these past few years. Adding year round practice is just one of many. Final note, hurry up August!!!! 

In 2A, it's Graham then everyone else. I really think Abingdon will be a good team this year and may be the second best in the VA area but they're 3A. 

23 hours ago, BigWinners said:

In 2A, it's Graham then everyone else. I really think Abingdon will be a good team this year and may be the second best in the VA area but they're 3A. 

In 2A, I got my G-Men as the favorites, but Union and Richlands are always solid and well coached and talented.  I don't know about Ridgeview and what they have back or John Battle, but it only takes 1 to 2 key or huge injuries for a team like Graham who will and should be a big favorite to all of a sudden be in a battle on a cold field against a Union or Richlands in which Graham turns over 4 times and the opponent plays perfect, and for example, Union has an offensive line that has gelled and grown dramatically through the season and seems to be picking up 4-5 yards each carry and Graham can't get the ball, and then it's a ballgame late in the fourth.  These things can, do, and have happened.  I've seen this with favorites at the High School Level to many times over the years.  But yes, I think it's going to take a bunch of variables like the ones mentioned above for a team to beat Graham in the Region.  

30 minutes ago, who? said:

Any thoughts on gc?   New coach should bring back some the tradition....how long will it take until they are back on top?

I see 4 wins & a first round drubbing in Bluefield. The fires need to be lit under our LL & middle school programs for there to be any hope of getting back ‘on top’ in the next decade. I’m surprised DR hasn’t taken one of the open HC spots... Hopefully his wing t will be suited to this group. I predict GC will lead the district in attendance & message board posts. 

Jones or Gibson, both are gun slingers but somehow Brody G will light a fire under the QB position as he adds one more running back in the backfield , but also can throw.Union will run the fullhouse almost every play , untill the cb gets caught looking in the backfield and boom, over the top to yet another JENKINS SPEEDSTER

BigW and Jar, what about Unions OL? I read where BigWinners wrote that it needs rebuilding, but are the guys that are going to start talented? How were they in junior high/jv levels? Size? How much experience and how many new starters from tackle to tackle? Something tells me that Union probably would have an easier time rebuilding its bigs up front compared to about every other AA team in the state based on the successful history of the lineplay at Union, but I could be wrong and don't know, so this is why I'm asking.

1 hour ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

BigW and Jar, what about Unions OL? I read where BigWinners wrote that it needs rebuilding, but are the guys that are going to start talented? How were they in junior high/jv levels? Size? How much experience and how many new starters from tackle to tackle? Something tells me that Union probably would have an easier time rebuilding its bigs up front compared to about every other AA team in the state based on the successful history of the lineplay at Union, but I could be wrong and don't know, so this is why I'm asking.

It'll be a decent unit at the very least, they return at least two kids (maybe three? I can't remember) and should be able to find kids to fill the holes as IIRC the two returnees are at the two vital positions, LT and C.

it's still early and who knows at this point, but Union may need to really rely on the OL early since its breaking in a new QB but has a very talented stable of returning runners.

On 4/30/2019 at 9:21 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

I thought you tucked tail and just on the bandwagon of a Tennessee school.  Good to see you still care.