Zac Ervin to Elon

swva_havok_fan

Elon just hired Mike Schrage as head coach.  Schrage was instrumental in bringing JJ Redick, Kyle Singlar, Mike Dunleavy, Jay Williams, Carlos Boozer and Shane Battier to Duke.  He also began his coaching career as a graduate assistant under Bobby Knight at Indiana and later coached with Johnny Dawkins at Stanford.  He spent the last four season as an assistant to Chris Holtmann at Butler and Ohio State.  The guy can flat-out coach and has an incredible track record with guys of a similar skill-set to Ervin. 

Ervin could have made a far worse decision on who to play for.

4 hours ago, BigWinners said:

He wouldn't see the floor at Wofford. They were ranked and super legit

But if not Wofford, then why not ETSU??!

The Bucs are a much better program than Elon.

I actually think he would have grown into a role on the floor at Wofford in a few years. 

My wife graduated from Elon. It's a very good academic school, beautiful campus and great facilities. Brand new convocation center for basketball opened this year ( seats between 4-5 thousand). In the CAA which is a very competitive conference, and right off I-40 between Greensboro and Burlington. Should see alot of playing time early in his career. Alot of boxes checked.

1 hour ago, pdfan said:

My wife graduated from Elon. It's a very good academic school, beautiful campus and great facilities. Brand new convocation center for basketball opened this year ( seats between 4-5 thousand). In the CAA which is a very competitive conference, and right off I-40 between Greensboro and Burlington. Should see alot of playing time early in his career. Alot of boxes checked.

I want to say Elon came to UVa-Wise (then Clinch Valley College) one time to play in a four team tournament back in the mid 90's.  I could be wrong though.

Ervin should get to play quality minutes at Elon... but whether any of those will come in a NCAA tournament is very doubtful.

On 5/1/2019 at 3:43 AM, Ryan4VT said:

I actually think he would have grown into a role on the floor at Wofford in a few years. 

you could be right, but watching Wofford play the last two seasons, those dudes were legit. He would have had to made serious strides in his shooting and defense to play.

But again, why not ETSU?? Did they not offer? Close to home, great program, chance to play, maybe make NCAAT, etc...

I believe it you're from SWVA and a big time P5 school doesn't offer, ETSU should be your choice

or Uva-Wise, if you aren't quite at a D1 level. Esp in football.

On 4/30/2019 at 3:54 PM, Ryan4VT said:

I don’t think he was offered by Young at VT. 

Was curious to see this. Cantoor was offered at Tech after being committed at Wofford. Ervin was the higher rated of the two. So I am interested in what the process was here. Best of luck to Ervin at Elon!

4 hours ago, BigWinners said:

you could be right, but watching Wofford play the last two seasons, those dudes were legit. He would have had to made serious strides in his shooting and defense to play.

But again, why not ETSU?? Did they not offer? Close to home, great program, chance to play, maybe make NCAAT, etc...

I believe it you're from SWVA and a big time P5 school doesn't offer, ETSU should be your choice

or Uva-Wise, if you aren't quite at a D1 level. Esp in football.

Wofford lost a LOT this year. So I think he would have found playing time. 

Also, he could have selected Elon for the amazing academic purposes vs. athletics. 

6 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Also, he could have selected Elon for the amazing academic purposes vs. athletics. 

^^^^ This times 1000. Elon is considered a Southern Ivy League school by a large majority of the North. A ton of well to do donors and a huge endowment for academics.

17 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I think ETSUs style of play would not be as good for Ervin currently.  The system Wofford ran was a better fit.  It sounds like Elon will run a system that may fit his style of play better also.  I thought App State had a great shot with Kerns approach to offense also.  That being said, it may have as much to do with it as academics.  His parents are both educators and I am sure that wasnt taken lightly by them even if it was by Zac which I doubt happened.

12 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

the academic angle is one I didn't initially think of but like you and Stripes said, Elon is an elite academic institution and isn't that far away. 

10 hours ago, chipinbogey said:

^^^^ This times 1000. Elon is considered a Southern Ivy League school by a large majority of the North. A ton of well to do donors and a huge endowment for academics.

Elon’s underrated as an academic institution but that’s a massive stretch...

Well the North does like to exaggerate. Simply going off of my experiences with their alumni and how it has been portrayed to me. It's kind of like how WVU has a very large makeup of kids from Jersey, Elon has the same thing with Tri-State trust fund babies and the like.

• 5 months later...

From the all the talk I've heard around town, ETSU is loaded to the gills this year. WXSM had a writer for the Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook on a couple weeks ago and he said they could be good enough to win 2 in the tournament. A lot of things can happen, but there's definitely a lot of noise. I hope Zak does very well at Elon.

1 hour ago, GC_Quincy said:

From the all the talk I've heard around town, ETSU is loaded to the gills this year. WXSM had a writer for the Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook on a couple weeks ago and he said they could be good enough to win 2 in the tournament. A lot of things can happen, but there's definitely a lot of noise. I hope Zak does very well at Elon.

Steve Forbes can downright coach, and ETSU has the talent.  Should be another strong year in the SoCon, and ETSU should be the class of the conference.  Time will tell.