2019 Gate City schedule

I’m just going to support and cheer them on and hopefully we have a winning season. I probably won’t make any predictions. I just want the kids and coaches to work hard to turn things around. If I see improvement from the past few years I’ll chalk it up as a winning season if the record doesn’t reflect it. We have a lot to fix. Just going to stay positive. Legion Field is getting a new scoreboard and things are being done to get the kids excited. So I hope it all pays off. 

Anything over four wins should be seen as a great season and overachieving considering the circunstances. 

If I was a bookie, GC would be favored in three games, four max (on the road at Battle could be seen as a coin flip), and would be a double digit dog in five games. I don't know much about South and what they return but it is a home game for GC. But having to go to Richlands, Ridgeview, GW and Union are tough tasks and the home game against a very good Abingdon team will be rough as well.

If reed ends up at battle... it is a Guaranteed loss.  Reed knows the weaknesses of gc.  He always plays good against his old teams. He will know just as much about gc as he will  about his own team.  If the battle kids don’t want to play for him then they would not be worth having anyway.  

On 5/8/2019 at 9:01 PM, Leatherhead Larry said:

I was told tonight that this is right.

Aug. 30 - @ Richlands

Sept 6 - Abingdon

Sept. 13 - Sullivan South (TN)

Sept. 20 - @ Ridgeview

Sept. 27 - Lee High 

Oct. 4 - @ George Wythe

Oct. 11 - Marion (HC) 

Oct. 18 - @ Union

Oct. 25 - @ John Battle

Nov. 1 - Wise Central

Nov. 8 - OPEN

I really am trying to look at this schedule impartially.  Where is there opportunities for GC to get the win

Aug. 30 - @ Richlands- NO. Not at Ernie Hicks

Sept 6 - Abingdon- Don't see them beating what could be a loaded Falcon team

Sept. 13 - Sullivan South (TN)- Maybe depending on what South has coming back this year

Sept. 20 - @ Ridgeview- NO

Sept. 27 - Lee High- This might be their best chance.  Lee is going through a lot right now 

Oct. 4 - @ George Wythe- Highly unlikely.  Marrons are generally a playoff team

Oct. 11 - Marion (HC) - Possible.  Who knows what going on in Marion from year to year.

Oct. 18 - @ Union- No

Oct. 25 - @ John Battle- Depending on who the coach is.  It could go either way

Nov. 1 - Wise Central- No.  Warriors are my pick to be the most improved team this season

• 1 month later...

The first schedule I posted had 2 games flipped. This one is correct. 

Aug. 14 - Scrimmage @ TN High (Wed)

Aug. 15 - Media Day - 4pm (Thurs)

Aug. 22 - Jamboree @ Lebanon 

Aug. 30 - @ Richlands

Sept 6 - Abingdon

Sept. 13 - Sullivan South (TN)

Sept. 20 - @ Ridgeview

Sept. 27 - @ Union 

Oct. 4 - @ George Wythe

Oct. 11 - Marion

Oct. 18 - Lee 

Oct. 25 - @ John Battle

Nov. 1 - Central

Nov. 8 - OPEN

14 hours ago, trublue said:

Gate City Retweeted

4FV425Cm_bigger.jpg Gate City Football @GateCityFB

‼️Big Blue Country‼️ Tomorrow around lunch time we would GREATLY appreciate some extra help laying down the new sod on the football field. Help us get Legion prepared for this Fall!

great state

Sod should have been laid in the Spring...that place will be a mess this fall.  It takes a good six weeks for the roots to start establishing themselves under perfect conditions.  Mid-summer isn't "perfect conditions" for sodding.

14 minutes ago, GMan said:

Sod should have been laid in the Spring...that place will be a mess this fall.  It takes a good six weeks for the roots to start establishing themselves under perfect conditions.  Mid-summer isn't "perfect conditions" for sodding.

They couldn't get the sod guy from D-B before now.

6 hours ago, GMan said:

1. It’s not “mid-summer” summer is a young 7 days old.

2. A little research research you would have know that Bermuda grass will have established shallow root growth in 2 weeks and deep root growth in 6 weeks. Bermuda is a warm weather grass. Springs around here risk the chance of a freeze and then your Bermuda can really be shot. I’m sure the grass experts working on the field know way more what they are doing than what we have to say. 

Plus they took the crown out of the field. Good improvement to go along with the new sod. 

6 hours ago, chipinbogey said:

Are those the 2019 lids on their Twitter avatar? I'm normally a traditionalist with helmets and uni's but, THOSE ARE AWESOME.

Yup new domes. Will have each players number on the left side of the helmet. Coach Jeremy wanted to mix it up. I have only seen 3 different styles in my lifetime, played in 2 of them. These are pretty wicked. I like the change. 

5 hours ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

Yup new domes. Will have each players number on the left side of the helmet. Coach Jeremy wanted to mix it up. I have only seen 3 different styles in my lifetime, played in 2 of them. These are pretty wicked. I like the change. 

they look amazing IMO, I'm usually a traditional guy, I'm a Bama fan FFS and the Tide has been wearing same unis and helmets for 100+ years but those GC helmets are dope.

On 6/28/2019 at 5:30 PM, Leatherhead Larry said:

1. It’s not “mid-summer” summer is a young 7 days old.

2. A little research research you would have know that Bermuda grass will have established shallow root growth in 2 weeks and deep root growth in 6 weeks. Bermuda is a warm weather grass. Springs around here risk the chance of a freeze and then your Bermuda can really be shot. I’m sure the grass experts working on the field know way more what they are doing than what we have to say. 

Plus they took the crown out of the field. Good improvement to go along with the new sod. 

A little research and you would have known that Bermuda is a warm-season grass that historically grows poorly outside the Piedmont and Tidewater.  The first frost kills its growth, which is customarily in early October in the mountains.  Given the trampling it will receive starting in about 6 weeks, and given that deep root growth for Bermuda is 6 weeks in a BEST-case scenario, then GMan’s much closer in his reckoning than are you.  But what else is new...

BTW, they should have used Kentucky bluegrass or fescue.