2019 Gate City schedule

10 hours ago, falconfan1 said:

LHL would have lost his mind had someone else proposed a change. He didn’t like the Adidas jerseys that were royal blue? Go figure.

Hate Adidas, hated the font, hated the thick material, hate the coach who bought them. If you were able to lay hands on them you’d know what I mean about thick. Not sure anyone was a fan of them. Couldn’t have been comfortable to wear in the hot of the season. 

You guys need to understand, I worked in the golf business for 20 years, turf grass management is second nature to me.  If you plan on using that field in six weeks, it won't be ready for play.  You'll get large chunks of short root sod kicked up all over the place.  And, ironically, bermuda grass requires well drained soil to perform it's best...GC's field is more like a sponge.  If we have a wet July/August like we've had in June, those are not optimal conditions for bermuda grass root growth and you'll have a bigger mess come the middle of August.

22 hours ago, GMan said:

You guys need to understand, I worked in the golf business for 20 years, turf grass management is second nature to me.  If you plan on using that field in six weeks, it won't be ready for play.  You'll get large chunks of short root sod kicked up all over the place.  And, ironically, bermuda grass requires well drained soil to perform it's best...GC's field is more like a sponge.  If we have a wet July/August like we've had in June, those are not optimal conditions for bermuda grass root growth and you'll have a bigger mess come the middle of August.

We know all about facilities management at GC. You should see our Sports Complex; you’d think it had never been used. 

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a link to GC Twitter and you can see some pics of the field...that sod is going to be torn up by September...

https://twitter.com/GateCityCowbell/status/1156293250342379532/photo/1

Look at pic 2, you can still see the squares of sod just sitting on the field.  The grass hasn't taken root nor has it grown together to cover the seams.

1 hour ago, GMan said:

Look at pic 2, you can still see the squares of sod just sitting on the field.  The grass hasn't taken root nor has it grown together to cover the seams.

Scoreboard looks good, turf looks horrible. Hopefully they don't practice on it and give the grass more time to grow. I'm always amazed at how run down they let high school facilities get before they do work to them. The bleachers in those pics don't look like they've been pressure washed in over 10 years. 

5 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Scoreboard looks good, turf looks horrible. Hopefully they don't practice on it and give the grass more time to grow. I'm always amazed at how run down they let high school facilities get before they do work to them. The bleachers in those pics don't look like they've been pressure washed in over 10 years. 

The first pic is of a guy pressure washing the home side bleachers. lol

On 7/31/2019 at 11:12 PM, Liam McPoyle said:

Give the pressure washer guy a raise!  The new scoreboard looks sharp, but I hope GC never replaces those old-school goal posts. 

Even more old school  than most people realize. If you will look at the base of the uprights, you can see that a pipe has been placed over them. Original uprights were very short. When teams started kicking extra points and field goals, the uprights had to be made taller.

………..at least that is  what I have been told. 

10 hours ago, Great City said:

Even more old school  than most people realize. If you will look at the base of the uprights, you can see that a pipe has been placed over them. Original uprights were very short. When teams started kicking extra points and field goals, the uprights had to be made taller.

………..at least that is  what I have been told. 

Yup. Some sort of commercial grade pvc type pipe is what is sitting on them now. Not sure if they ever used metal piping to extend them or not. But in my lifetime as far as I know they’ve been some sort of commercial grade plastic.