Region 1D and Region 2D Baseball/Softball

#BBN

Anybody have any idea of what the region seeds will be, and who will face each other in the regional tournaments?

I know the district tournaments are being played right now, but just wondering what impact the district tournaments have on the regional seeding?

Also can anyone explain how the seeding works for regional tournaments, as to in what classifies you to make region?

2 hours ago, #BBN said:

Anybody have any idea of what the region seeds will be, and who will face each other in the regional tournaments?

I know the district tournaments are being played right now, but just wondering what impact the district tournaments have on the regional seeding?

Also can anyone explain how the seeding works for regional tournaments, as to in what classifies you to make region?

I can only answer for baseball.

If I understand correctly, winning the regular season guarantees the #1 seed for each side of the region bracket. By default, JSB will be the 1 seed on one side of the bracket, while the winner of VHS/Lebanon series will be the 1 on the other side of the bracket. Lebanon won the first meeting 3-0 on Tuesday. They play again tonight and if VHS were to win, a one game playoff will be played to determine the district champ. 

Four teams from the M7 and 4 teams from the SWD will make up the 8 team Region tournament. In a similar situation to Abingdon, Grayson County, while in a 1A district, will be figured in to the SWD spots for the region, as they are still a 2A school. The SWD #1 plays the M7 #4, and so on and so on.

Seeds 2-4 in the region will be determined by how teams do in their district tournament.

Everything is based on a “Points” system. Every team gets points for a win, a loss, and a tie. The bigger the school you play, the more points you’re awarded. These points are tallied up after every game this year, including thru the district tournament. 

Regular season district champs earn the 1 seed, while points decide 2-4.

I hope that helps.

2 hours ago, #BBN said:

Thanks a bunch Bearcat Dad, gives me a better understanding. 

Any update on the Lebanon/ VA High game?

Bearcats win a barn burner 8-7. Great game with multiple lead changes. Tiebreaker will be Saturday at Abingdon @1:00. Rematch from Tuesday night. Both team’s aces are eligible. Should be another fun one!

Softball is pretty much the same way...

The four teams out of the Mountain 7 representing region will be:

Baseball:  John Battle, Union, Gate City and Wise Central

Softball:  John Battle, Union, Ridgeview and Gate City

Wise Central is already locked in to the 4 seed out of the M7 in baseball since they didn't advance yesterday and will play the Lebanon/Virginia High Saturday winner in the first round of Region I believe.

1A Region D takes 3 seeds from each of the three districts (Black Diamond, Cumberland and Hogoheegee).  Regular season champs earn the 1 seed for their respective districts. 2 & 3 seeds go to the district tournament winner/finalist and winner of the consolation games respectively. Play in game of the region tournament is two of the 3 seeds.

Edit:  So, if the Region 1D basketball bracket is anything to go by, then the play in game will be between the BDD 3 and CD 3 seeds.

Rest of the bracket looks like this:

• Hogo 1 vs. Play-in winner
  • BDD 2 vs. CD 2
  • BDD 1 vs. Hogo 2
  • CD 1 vs. Hogo 3
Edited by swva_havok_fan
Looked up Region 1D basketball tournament bracket

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

1A Region D takes 3 seeds from each of the three districts (Black Diamond, Cumberland and Hogoheegee).  Regular season champs earn the 1 seed for their respective districts. 2 & 3 seeds go to the district tournament winner/finalist and winner of the consolation games respectively. Play in game of the region tournament is two of the 3 seeds.

Edit:  So, if the Region 1D basketball bracket is anything to go by, then the play in game will be between the BDD 3 and CD 3 seeds.

Rest of the bracket looks like this:

• Hogo 1 vs. Play-in winner
  • BDD 2 vs. CD 2
  • BDD 1 vs. Hogo 2
  • CD 1 vs. Hogo 3

Rye Cove will be the 3 Seed from the CD.  I have heard they will host that game next week but I am not sure.  I assume vs Council.

2 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

This is the last year Grayson Co. is in the mix as well. If either Grayson softball or baseball team were to qualify they would knock out one of the SWD teams.

It looks like this is probably going to happen in baseball this year. Even though GC finished 3rd, I believe, in their district, they pulled a huge upset at the end of their regular season and received a huge point amount for playing to a tie with Carroll County. Had VHS not beat Lebanon last night, mathematically speaking, GC could have finished as high as the 2 seed. I believe with the VHS win, the highest GC can finish now is 3.

11 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

It looks like this is probably going to happen in baseball this year. Even though GC finished 3rd, I believe, in their district, they pulled a huge upset at the end of their regular season and received a huge point amount for playing to a tie with Carroll County. Had VHS not beat Lebanon last night, mathematically speaking, GC could have finished as high as the 2 seed. I believe with the VHS win, the highest GC can finish now is 3.

Looks like the only drama is for 1st and 4th.  1st is explanatory, 4th less so.  No clue how the points will shake out between Tazewell and Graham.

17 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Looks like the only drama is for 1st and 4th.  1st is explanatory, 4th less so.  No clue how the points will shake out between Tazewell and Graham.

At last check, Tazewell was ahead of Graham, but barely. I believe that with a Graham win and Tazewell loss in the opening round of the district tournament, coupled with points Graham would receive with either a win or loss in the second round, would be enough for Graham to secure a spot in the region tournament.

I really believe that Graham is much better this year than the previous three years that my son has played against them. They played us very tough in our last matchup. If they do indeed secure the 4 seed, they will be a tough out for Battle, especially if Moore doesn’t pitch for JSB.

18 minutes ago, Bearcat Dad said:

At last check, Tazewell was ahead of Graham, but barely. I believe that with a Graham win and Tazewell loss in the opening round of the district tournament, coupled with points Graham would receive with either a win or loss in the second round, would be enough for Graham to secure a spot in the region tournament.

I really believe that Graham is much better this year than the previous three years that my son has played against them. They played us very tough in our last matchup. If they do indeed secure the 4 seed, they will be a tough out for Battle, especially if Moore doesn’t pitch for JSB.

If I’m reading the tea leaves right, Graham should play Marion and Tazewell should play Richlands in the opening round of the SWD Tournament.  Marion is dreadful, and Graham should not only win, but should be in a “save your ace” position to face the VHS/LHS playoff loser in Round 2.  Presuming Graham doesn’t collapse, it’s pretty much win-and-you’re-in for Tazewell.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

If I’m reading the tea leaves right, Graham should play Marion and Tazewell should play Richlands in the opening round of the SWD Tournament.  Marion is dreadful, and Graham should not only win, but should be in a “save your ace” position to face the VHS/LHS playoff loser in Round 2.  Presuming Graham doesn’t collapse, it’s pretty much win-and-you’re-in for Tazewell.

That’s exactly how I understand the scenario to be.

Yeah, Marion has had a rough year. Graham should win that one in 5. Richlands/Tazewell is much tougher to call. Richlands has the offensive advantage but I liked what I saw out of Tazewell’s ace when he threw against VHS, a few weeks ago.

I give Graham a good chance to play with anyone in the M7 in the Region tournament, outside of playing Battle with Moore on the mound. I’ve seen Battle twice, Union once, and watched Wise Central play Battle. The G-Men are a scrappy bunch that can beat you if you overlook them.

2 hours ago, Bearcat Dad said:

That’s exactly how I understand the scenario to be.

Yeah, Marion has had a rough year. Graham should win that one in 5. Richlands/Tazewell is much tougher to call. Richlands has the offensive advantage but I liked what I saw out of Tazewell’s ace when he threw against VHS, a few weeks ago.

I give Graham a good chance to play with anyone in the M7 in the Region tournament, outside of playing Battle with Moore on the mound. I’ve seen Battle twice, Union once, and watched Wise Central play Battle. The G-Men are a scrappy bunch that can beat you if you overlook them.

That’s what I hoped would be the outcome this year.  Being a realist, this team came fairly close to maxing out its potential later in the year.  Graham will be better still yet in coming years, as the time put into the BVLL in the early 2010s is paying some dividends.  The kids from the outstanding middle school program are moving up and continuing their training.  Baseball is becoming fun!

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

So who will Union play?

As far as region, If they are the mountain 2 seed, they will play the Southwest 3. Either Grayson county or Graham more than likely. 

3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

That’s what I hoped would be the outcome this year.  Being a realist, this team came fairly close to maxing out its potential later in the year.  Graham will be better still yet in coming years, as the time put into the BVLL in the early 2010s is paying some dividends.  The kids from the outstanding middle school program are moving up and continuing their training.  Baseball is becoming fun!

Unfortunately for VHS, Bristol is trending in a different direction. This year’s starting lineup is talented and experienced, but they generally only dress 12-13 kids per game. A couple of which, have to change into a varsity uniform, immediately after their JV game ends, just so we have some bodies.

People have been fooled by the 11-8 record of VHS on the season. Injuries ravaged the team in the first half of the season. Our two-time All-State 1st baseman missed 5 games due to a hamstring injury. Our #2 pitcher, and regular SS has dealt with herniated disks in his back all season. Our 3 year starter at 2nd base, as a baserunner getting a lead from third base, took a foul ball on the ankle from a near 100 MPH exit velocity line drive, and was hobbled for a bit. Our utility outfielder that plays both LF and RF depending on who is pitching, who is 6’5 and the fastest kid on a team with great team speed, would be a valuable asset to the pitching rotation but has dealt with shoulder issues all year.

The Bearcats are the healthiest they have been all season and are winning games. The Bearcats have lost 8 games, but not a single one has been a “bad loss”, so to speak. Their losses are.....

Three hard fought losses at Myrtle Beach, an extra inning loss to JSB to one of the area’s top pitchers, two losses to a very solid 18-2 Abingdon team, where the Bearcats led in the 5th inning in both games, an extra inning loss to a stacked team from Ohio, that beat Abingdon, in the FCA tournament where the Bearcats blew a five run, 7th inning lead when two of our starters went down with injuries, and a 3-0 loss to potentially one of the best pitchers this area has seen in decades, from a (previously) one-loss Lebanon team.

The beautiful thing about all of this, is we are talking about playoff, high school baseball. You never know what to expect at this time of the year.

I’m glad that Graham’s baseball feeder system is doing well. I hope to see this for other schools in the region, too. I’m just afraid that is not the case in the immediate future in Bristol.

1 hour ago, FoxTrot said:

As far as region, If they are the mountain 2 seed, they will play the Southwest 3. Either Grayson county or Graham more than likely. 

Pretty sure they are. Actually were third but Abingdon doesn't count so Union would be second   someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

9 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Better than Battles ace or Abingdons best? He must be dominant then. 

He throws harder than Moore. That’s what concerns me from a Union standpoint. I always forget Abingdon, I’ve not seen them. I’m referencing the 2A schools. Key to beating Grayson is contact. Their defense is shaky.