Region 1D and Region 2D Baseball/Softball

#BBN

9 hours ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

Unless the M7 changed their point system that’s not accurate. Union would outpoint JSB with a win or a JSB L. 

It is completely accurate. The regular season champion, which defaults to Battle, due to Abingdon being 3A is the #1 seed.  

you may be right with  the way things are now, used to be the league winner an tournament winner or 2nd place team if tourney was won by league champ went to regionals. now they use points an send  4. they have made things way too way too complicated for me to keep up with, when was it ever a win to lose to a better team or school?

7 minutes ago, grandpaw trojan said:

you may be right with  the way things are now, used to be the league winner an tournament winner or 2nd place team if tourney was won by league champ went to regionals. now they use points an send  4. they have made things way too way too complicated for me to keep up with, when was it ever a win to lose to a better team or school?

I think it all changed when Abingdon came in. They did away with regular season automatically gets one seed because Abingdon could win and you could be giving the one seed to someone who didn’t win regular season. 

1 minute ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

I think it all changed when Abingdon came in. They did away with regular season automatically gets one seed because Abingdon could win and you could be giving the one seed to someone who didn’t win regular season. 

Battle is hosting the Region and is the #1 seed out of the mountain in 2A. That is fact!  

Graham lost to Marion yesterday and Richlands beat Tazewell. So what does that mean for seeding in the SWD in regional play and how does Grayson Co play in to that seeding?

1 hour ago, breckt said:

Graham lost to Marion yesterday and Richlands beat Tazewell. So what does that mean for seeding in the SWD in regional play and how does Grayson Co play in to that seeding?

Graham gave up 6 unanswered runs to lose 6-5 to a 1-win Marion team.  That’s an extremely bitter way to end a season that showed flashes of future hope and promise.  Tazewell, who allowed 16+ runs in each of its games against Graham, will get the #4 regional seed over Graham.

Graham came back down 5-0 and tied the game. Marion played great defense and their SS caught a line drive with the bases loaded and 2 outs in the 7th to seal it. As of right now , Graham is up on Tazewell in points. Marion played error free baseball and made plays even though they gave up a dozen or more hits. Graham left a lot on base because of Marion’s defense. Marion played a pretty tough schedule and have hung in there all year. Their record isn’t indicative of how hard they play. 

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Graham gave up 6 unanswered runs to lose 6-5 to a 1-win Marion team.  That’s an extremely bitter way to end a season that showed flashes of future hope and promise.  Tazewell, who allowed 16+ runs in each of its games against Graham, will get the #4 regional seed over Graham.

You don’t receive points for losses in SWD Tournament. Graham should be 4 seed with enough points to get in  I don’t think Richlands has a chance  and Grayson has to outpoint seeds 2- 4, and they can’t outpoint VA High, solidifying them at 2.  

1 Lebanon

2 Va High

3 Grayson

4 Graham 

23 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

You don’t receive points for losses in SWD Tournament. Graham should be 4 seed with enough points to get in  I don’t think Richlands has a chance  and Grayson has to outpoint seeds 2- 4, and they can’t outpoint VA High, solidifying them at 2.  

1 Lebanon

2 Va High

3 Grayson

4 Graham 

That’s not how I understand it, based upon the input of some of the other posters here.  Man, I’d be happy to be wrong.

20 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

That’s not how I understand it, based upon the input of some of the other posters here.  Man, I’d be happy to be wrong.

Ask your athletic director, Matt Dixon. 

9 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

He doesn’t know me from Adam, LOL.

OK, how it stands right now is graham is in 4 seed. Richlands would have to win the district tournament to get in as Grayson is set at 3. 

5 hours ago, FoxTrot said:

Battle is hosting the Region and is the #1 seed out of the mountain in 2A. That is fact!  

What a God awful setup. You can finish second in the regular season and fourth in district tournament and be the one seed? No wonder nobody can keep up with this stuff. 

How is it that Baseball is following the points but Softball is not?  Example - 

With the result of the May 18th Regular Season SWD Softball Championship which Lebanon won, 4-0, that puts the records and points as such - 

Lebanon - 14-6, 5.4 points

Richlands - 16-4, 5.85 points

But with the win, Lebanon now gets to host the SWD Tournament and per the paper, next week's Region 2D tournament. 

What gives?

9 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

How is it that Baseball is following the points but Softball is not?  Example - 

With the result of the May 18th Regular Season SWD Softball Championship which Lebanon won, 4-0, that puts the records and points as such - 

Lebanon - 14-6, 5.4 points

Richlands - 16-4, 5.85 points

But with the win, Lebanon now gets to host the SWD Tournament and per the paper, next week's Region 2D tournament. 

What gives?

They won the regular season in the playoff game yesterday. After regular season champion is determined, points determine seeding 2-4 in region. 

29 minutes ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

What a God awful setup. You can finish second in the regular season and fourth in district tournament and be the one seed? No wonder nobody can keep up with this stuff. 

The problem is the Mountain is With Abingdon a 3A school, and district champion, they cannot move on to a 2A tournament. It defaults down to the next finisher in that district to get the 1 seed. In the Southwest district, Grayson county plays in a separate district as a 2A school, and feeds in on that district on a point system. 

It is very screwed up for our region. 

52 minutes ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

Then what is the point of playing or attending any of these games? So Battle is 1, Union 2, GC 3, Central 4? There seems to be no point to any of this. 

That is correct order on Mountain baseball seeding. I assume parents would want to see their kids play as far as attendance, but I can’t answer your question on why they have a district tournament.