Region 1D and Region 2D Baseball/Softball

#BBN

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

The top of SWVA is every bit as strong.  I think depth is the determining factor there.

I love you and your insights but I’d have to disagree here. I’ll admit that I have not seen Lebanon and haven’t seen Richlands since 2017. 

With that being said, and no way of proving this, I’d wager that neither Richlands or Lebanon would win the regular season in the ‘Doah or the Bull Run. One of them might get hot and win the tourney but I doubt they could consistently beat Page, Buffalo Gap, Wilson, Madison or Clarke. But that is just my opinion...I wouldn’t be surprised to be wrong😀

3 hours ago, Bearcat Bob said:

I love you and your insights but I’d have to disagree here. I’ll admit that I have not seen Lebanon and haven’t seen Richlands since 2017. 

With that being said, and no way of proving this, I’d wager that neither Richlands or Lebanon would win the regular season in the ‘Doah or the Bull Run. One of them might get hot and win the tourney but I doubt they could consistently beat Page, Buffalo Gap, Wilson, Madison or Clarke. But that is just my opinion...I wouldn’t be surprised to be wrong😀

Richlands has consistently beaten teams twice the size of them when they play their out of district schedule. They've won games in big tournaments and have a pitcher that is pushing 800 strikeouts for a career as a junior. 

Richlands, Lebanon and Battle are all three teams that I think deserved to be in this state tournament. The depth may not be there at the bottom, but the top is just as good as the top of the east. 

BristolSports @BHCSports

Continuing a stellar school year of success, Patrick Henry is well represented among the five baseball teams, four softball squads, four boys soccer teams and three girls soccer squads still playing from far #SWVA. A state quarterfinal primer:

great state

Cheering for the SWVA teams...hoping for a collection of state trophies for the area. 

3 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Richlands has consistently beaten teams twice the size of them when they play their out of district schedule. They've won games in big tournaments and have a pitcher that is pushing 800 strikeouts for a career as a junior. 

Richlands, Lebanon and Battle are all three teams that I think deserved to be in this state tournament. The depth may not be there at the bottom, but the top is just as good as the top of the east. 

But could those teams Richlands is beating compete in other parts of the state? Maybe, possibly. 

I hope SWVA softball proves it is as good as other parts of the state...but I don’t see any historical proof of such. 

Should know by this weekend how they stack up. 

What could be baseball-wise...

Lebanon and Page Co COULD meet Friday in the state semifinals. Man oh man... I’d love to see a Buchanan/Williams match up. Probably the two best pitchers in 2A going at it would be well worth the $10 entry fee. 

But I expect both will throw in the quarters. 

7 hours ago, Bearcat Bob said:

What could be baseball-wise...

Lebanon and Page Co COULD meet Friday in the state semifinals. Man oh man... I’d love to see a Buchanan/Williams match up. Probably the two best pitchers in 2A going at it would be well worth the $10 entry fee. 

But I expect both will throw in the quarters. 

The best pitcher in 2A plays for Richlands not Lebanon or Page County. I agree , Lebanon & Page Co would be worth $10 ticket though. (Edit: Oops, missed you were talking about baseball)...in that case, yes I agree!) 

On 6/1/2019 at 8:21 PM, Ryan4VT said:

Nope. 

Paige vs. Lebanon is my guess. And Paige repeats. Blues just can’t get a hit when it’s needed. 

Their hitting may be looking up! Some of the girls are getting in extra practice in preparation for state tourney with their longtime travel ball coach. 

3 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

The best pitcher in 2A plays for Richlands not Lebanon or Page County. I agree , Lebanon & Page Co would be worth $10 ticket though.

He was talking about Baseball in that pitching matchup. Lebanon may have the best pitcher in the state, certainly at the Class 2 level.

4 hours ago, Bearcat Bob said:

But could those teams Richlands is beating compete in other parts of the state? Maybe, possibly. 

I hope SWVA softball proves it is as good as other parts of the state...but I don’t see any historical proof of such. 

Should know by this weekend how they stack up. 

This year they beat:

Elizabethton, TN

Science Hill, TN

King's Academy, TN (Private School State Champs)

Tennessee High

Claiborne Co., TN

And they Lost to Macon-East from GA.

Those are some BIG schools who have solid programs.

We can't control the depth of the district, but we do a really good job of playing bigger and better schools out of district.

7 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

The best pitcher in 2A plays for Richlands not Lebanon or Page County. I agree , Lebanon & Page Co would be worth $10 ticket though. (Edit: Oops, missed you were talking about baseball)...in that case, yes I agree!) 

In 2A softball, I’d argue that the best pitcher plays for Madison County. Logyn Estes will be pitching for East Carolina next year. She was well on her way to POY until separating her shoulder a couple of weeks ago when sliding head first into home. She is only hitting now.  She beat Page twice this year ( and Richlands in 2017). Their second pitcher is good but it’s hard to replace mid 60 speed. 

5 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

This year they beat:

Elizabethton, TN

Science Hill, TN

King's Academy, TN (Private School State Champs)

Tennessee High

Claiborne Co., TN

And they Lost to Macon-East from GA.

Those are some BIG schools who have solid programs.

We can't control the depth of the district, but we do a really good job of playing bigger and better schools out of district.

NETN in softball is not strong.  Daniel Boone had probably by far the superior team in NETN this year, with no one else really on their level.

7 hours ago, Bearcat Bob said:

In 2A softball, I’d argue that the best pitcher plays for Madison County. Logyn Estes will be pitching for East Carolina next year. She was well on her way to POY until separating her shoulder a couple of weeks ago when sliding head first into home. She is only hitting now.  She beat Page twice this year ( and Richlands in 2017). Their second pitcher is good but it’s hard to replace mid 60 speed. 

Definitely, hate she got hurt. Sounds like her not pitching could possibly cost Madison a chance at appearing in championship game???? We can agree to disagree about who's better, Osborne and Estes are obviously the cream are the crop in 2A. 

13 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

He was talking about Baseball in that pitching matchup. Lebanon may have the best pitcher in the state, certainly at the Class 2 level.

Pages TR Williams (sophomore)was just named Region B POY again;  reaffirmed his commitment to VT; and will be pitching for Team USA again this summer. 

I’d really like to see him and the kid from Lebanon going against each other in HS. Probably have to wait until ACC games...or the MLB!  I counted 21 clipboard toting, radar gun pointing scouts at Williams last outing. 

That ought to settle it for sure.

Page is a really good hitting team. If the Richlands pitcher holds them in check, I’ll be a believer.

I know nothing at all about Lebanon but they may have the better draw. I’m not expecting Madison to win it all though  Here’s why:

Madison’s ace, Estes, cannot pitch or play SS. Their big bomber Hannah Johnson tore an ACL and is out. The current pitcher, Seale, broke a bone in her pitching hand 4 weeks ago. A freshman is now at SS...but she did have 4 RBI today. The CF is now catching...Yada, yada, yada.  

But they still made the State semis so who knows. 

But it will be tough to overcome those kind of losses and still win the State or beat Lebanon for that matter  

State title game will be a rematch of some sort in 3 of the 4 possibilities. 

Richlands vs Lebanon is a district rematch. 

Page vs Madison is a district rematch. 

Richlands vs Madison is the rematch of the title game 2 years ago. 

Really, only Lebanon vs Page would be a “fresh” matchup. 

7 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

State title game will be a rematch of some sort in 3 of the 4 possibilities. 

Richlands vs Lebanon is a district rematch. 

Page vs Madison is a district rematch. 

Richlands vs Madison is the rematch of the title game 2 years ago. 

Really, only Lebanon vs Page would be a “fresh” matchup. 

Page and Madison is not currently a District game. Page is in the Shenandoah while Madison is in the Bull Run. The schools have played each other in most sports for years though. And they seem to meet for the Tegion B title frequently. 

Starting this fall, Page will join the Bull Run.  Then, the District tourney will likely be state championship caliber. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 7:41 PM, Bearcat Bob said:

That ought to settle it for sure.

Page is a really good hitting team. If the Richlands pitcher holds them in check, I’ll be a believer.

I know nothing at all about Lebanon but they may have the better draw. I’m not expecting Madison to win it all though 

This aged well...

53 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

This aged well...

She held them in check. Not that it matters, but I’m impressed. Page is a good hitting team...better than Madison. Good luck in the finals. Basically the same teams from 2017.