Giles losing kids? Transfering? Trouble?

Old Soul

6 hours ago, HaloSports2 said:

A Graham athlete at the track meet last night handed Trenton Adkins the Grahams head coaches number and said coach wants you to give him a call.  Take that for what its worth but sounds like possible recruiting to me

Players are the best recruiters, but I call bullshit on handing him coaches #

On 5/20/2019 at 8:23 PM, JGray said:

I recently spoke to a coach at Graham and was told that the kid from Giles was going to Radford.

I heard from a reliable source that the kid visited Radford a few weeks back. 

So.  When it was thought that the kid was going to Graham, folks were saying recruitment.  It is obvious that this kid has looked at other schools as well.  To insinuate they would do something like that is insulting to the hard work and effort they have  put into to their program.  To say that a kid slipped another kid a coaches phone number at a track meet is either a flat out lie by somebody or somebody is extremely gullible to believe it.  Thats just my opinion on that matter.  As for Giles players leaving the program?  I have only heard of this one kid leaving and I do believe it is just like every other kid that transfers.  Somebody (usually a parent)- not saying this is the case here- but somebody close to the kid usually convinces them that they need to be somewhere else to get exposure they need or to have a better chance at a title.  That is their decision to make and if they are willing to move their lives around that, it is certainly their prerogative and it doesnt matter what anybodys opinion is except their own.  Can we quit insinuating that High School coaches go out and recruit kids?? Whether its Richlands, Graham, Bluefield, Giles or Radford or anybody else, just STOP!!  These coaches dont get paid enough to put up with this nonsense!! 

Coaches would be fools not to recruit, especially for schools near state boarders (Bluefield, Bristol, etc.). Houseright should have hired super popular middle school coaches from Bloomingdale & Church Hill to siphon away players. Would have loved it if Houseright added Preston Patrick to the staff. Good on coaches & players for taking ownership of the process, as opposed to “I played at Po-Dunk High because that’s where my mom could afford rent”. 

On 5/25/2019 at 1:23 PM, Grapeape said:

Coaches would be fools not to recruit, especially for schools near state boarders (Bluefield, Bristol, etc.). Houseright should have hired super popular middle school coaches from Bloomingdale & Church Hill to siphon away players. Would have loved it if Houseright added Preston Patrick to the staff. Good on coaches & players for taking ownership of the process, as opposed to “I played at Po-Dunk High because that’s where my mom could afford rent”. 

Why would Coach Patrick leave the head coaching job at Sullivan North and be an assistant at Gate City! this is one of the dumbest statements anyone has ever made on this message board and that's saying a lot!

1 hour ago, SXSW said:

Why would Coach Patrick leave the head coaching job at Sullivan North and be an assistant at Gate City! this is one of the dumbest statements anyone has ever made on this message board and that's saying a lot!

There’s a lot of hubris in Gate City, and I’m somewhat surprised that being a doormat for a few years hasn’t beaten that out of them.

6 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

There’s a lot of hubris in Gate City, and I’m somewhat surprised that being a doormat for a few years hasn’t beaten that out of them.

Hubris and Confidence are first cousins, and first cousins often look alike and if you haven't seen the two in many years, you may get em confused.  What I'm getting at is...…..GC won for a long, long, long time, and after a program wins that long, you don't lose all fan support, confidence, hubris, or arrogance (whatever one wishes to label it) in the short 4 years of being down.  Even in 2015 at 5-5 in regular season, they had decent showings against Bluefield and Union (beaten handily in both games) but not blowouts.  GC is at a turning point in my opinion for 2019 and 2020.  They have a Houseright in place, and given the state of demise the program has been in for 4 years, he will get a 1 year pass to make progress and it will likely be 5 years of ugliness for the Devils.  If it's 6 years (a horrible year in 2020), the hubris will have succumbed to the prison shower.  But if they do well in 2020, the Devils will have some serious hubris.  I really think the golden question everyone is wondering or asking or arguing is......the talent.  It is gone at GC?  Houseright can and will get the kids out, and he knows football.  The question is whether GC truly has hit a talent bottom in which there is just really not much of a way to turn it around.  That question is about to be answered shortly.

9 hours ago, SXSW said:

North is closing. Coach Patrick might be a HC in 2020, but it won’t be his current post. Additionally, Scott County Schools’ compensation is quite a bit higher than Sullivan County’s. You guys shouldn’t spend so much time being upset over GC; we don’t think of you at all. 

10 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

North is closing. Coach Patrick might be a HC in 2020, but it won’t be his current post. Additionally, Scott County Schools’ compensation is quite a bit higher than Sullivan County’s. You guys shouldn’t spend so much time being upset over GC; we don’t think of you at all. 

You do bring up a very valid point in North closing, but remember, Tennessee has no state income tax. That could offset the perceived higher salary in VA vs TN. 

44 minutes ago, chipinbogey said:

You do bring up a very valid point in North closing, but remember, Tennessee has no state income tax. That could offset the perceived higher salary in VA vs TN. 

It’s not perceived; anyone can look at it on the respective sites. I know Sullivan County has far better health insurance - I guess that is what cost us Robbie Norris in 2016. Good point about taxes, though. 

13 hours ago, Grapeape said:

I am a proud Gate City Alum and have made several contributions to the well being of Gate City Football, However I do not live in a world of delusion and the very thought of a head coach leaving a program, where he will be a contender for his conference title and has a 70% chance to make it to the playoffs is delusional. I have watched Sullivan North for years and Patrick is a good coach, but Copas on that staff is the star! So Grapy keep thinking delusional stuff and posting it, but one has to ask the question sometimes, as Chris Martin sang "Am I part of the cure or part of the disease" !!!!!!!! 

3 hours ago, SXSW said:

I am a proud Gate City Alum and have made several contributions to the well being of Gate City Football, However I do not live in a world of delusion and the very thought of a head coach leaving a program, where he will be a contender for his conference title and has a 70% chance to make it to the playoffs is delusional. I have watched Sullivan North for years and Patrick is a good coach, but Copas on that staff is the star! So Grapy keep thinking delusional stuff and posting it, but one has to ask the question sometimes, as Chris Martin sang "Am I part of the cure or part of the disease" !!!!!!!! 

You’re right; why would anyone leave a program that is guaranteed to be undefeated in 2020? 😂

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, GMan said:

He may change his mind shortly about going to Radford...info coming down soon...

Heard it this morning....May be heading somewhere else now lol....maybe one of the other places that wanted him....whoever gets him good luck

• 3 weeks later...

I know Giles had tried to make it tough on the kid leaving. VHSL told his parents their vehicles had to be registered in Radford which is where they are living now.  

33 minutes ago, Bd91 said:

I know Giles had tried to make it tough on the kid leaving. VHSL told his parents their vehicles had to be registered in Radford which is where they are living now.  

No they aren't living there full time...good luck with him bobcat is all i have to say

On 7/2/2019 at 4:54 PM, Hokiebird7 said:

Good luck rcity

Leave the Greens alone mr salty spartan! Giles fans just upset because they know they might win 2 or 3 games this season! Why make it tough on a kid who is trying to better himself? And by choosing Radford over Giles is definitely bettering yourself. So go do your thing wherever you choose Kip, I for one are supporting you to do great and enjoy your senior year where so ever you go.... and by they way mr salty, how many returning lineman do the Spartans bring back? 1? Wow, Radford  54 Giles 0