Early predictions?

GloboGymCobras

10 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Abingdon will win M7, it's not a toss up. They're clearly the best returning team. Union and RV battle for second while Central could surprise people.

And I'm not so sure we should crown Appo yet, both Graham and Radford wi L have something to say about that. Glenvar too.

Abingdon got hit from the graduation bug also.  And from what I understand the Basham kid is or did transfer to Lord Botty so Abingdon will not be as strong as last year IMO.  Central will in fact surprise a lot of people

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:43 AM, Counts said:

Pretty sure Ridgeview only lost 2 starting(Full Time) O-Linemen (Personal i am excited that on paper at least they look that they are finally starting to get some size on the LOS) 

IMHO Ridgeview will be fine on the Line (Better in fact) the spot they are rebuilding is at WR that is where Graduation cleaned house

I think , and I could be wrong, but they lost the center, a guard, and a tackle.  I don't know who returns or who they have moving up from JV but yes they will need to rebuild the WR positions and the loss of Sexton will hurt more than folks think. 

3 hours ago, Bigtom said:

I think , and I could be wrong, but they lost the center, a guard, and a tackle.  I don't know who returns or who they have moving up from JV but yes they will need to rebuild the WR positions and the loss of Sexton will hurt more than folks think. 

Injures on the LOS lead to 2 other Underclassmen starting several games during the season. Last seasons JV may provide depth but the starter should have all seen Plenty of Game Time last season. WR losses will be tough if RV sticks with the spread Sexton will be a big loss but

Grayson loses a lot of starters to graduation but have a lot of talented sophomores and juniors waiting for their time.  Should be an interesting year for them if they can replace the Hollingsworth kid at QB.

Denver Brown from Fort Chiswell transferred to Galax over Christmas break.  His entire family played at Galax through the years.  Will be interesting to see how Dixon utilizes him.  This fall will mark the first year the middle school group I have talked about for a few years now will be eligible for varsity competition.  I am looking forward to what those kids accomplish.  This is a special group if they can all stay together, focused and out of trouble. 

1 hour ago, Counts said:

Injures on the LOS lead to 2 other Underclassmen starting several games during the season. Last seasons JV may provide depth but the starter should have all seen Plenty of Game Time last season. WR losses will be tough if RV sticks with the spread Sexton will be a big loss but

Gottcha  I wasn't real sure just going off last years roster.  In any event I do hope the Pack have a great season,

13 hours ago, Bigtom said:

Abingdon got hit from the graduation bug also.  And from what I understand the Basham kid is or did transfer to Lord Botty so Abingdon will not be as strong as last year IMO.  Central will in fact surprise a lot of people

I'd be shocked if Abingdon didn't win M7

On 5/21/2019 at 9:53 AM, CoachT423 said:

Can he throw the ball is the question??? Or will he be a Run 1st Throw 2nd QB? If RV wants to make a run this season they are going to have to keep teams atleast honest with there passing game.  It's hard to run the ball into loaded boxes all night.

Yes.  He threw and scrambled for several TD's last year in garbage time.  Granted, that was in garbage time against backups.  But my gut instinct is telling me that he will be a player to watch this year for the Pack.

11 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I'd be shocked if Abingdon didn't win M7

Yea possibly but because of other teams in the Mnt 7 being down..  TBH they were good but not great last year.  Was very lucky to have beat Ridgeview and it was controversial at that.  But I would have to agree that they are the team to beat this year.

I predict the Dogs win at least 6 games this year.  Tazewell has some talent there and I think it translates to 6+ wins this season.  I sure hope so.  I want to see Tazewell move in the right direction.  I got the Bulldogs winning over Virginia High in game 1, Mount View, Princeton, Honaker, Marion, Lebanon, and Grundy, with losses to Graham, Bluefield, and Richlands for the Dogs going 7-3. Virginia High will be close, and I understand Mount View lost a lot after their great season last year, including the one transfer to Graham.  I don't think Mount View will be as good losing 13 seniors from last years team and most of those were big time contributors, and likely their best player is transferring to Graham.  Virginia High and Mount View are possible wins for Tazewell.  So for the Dogs, I got them at 7-3 at best and 5-5 at worst.

9 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

I predict the Dogs win at least 6 games this year.  Tazewell has some talent there and I think it translates to 6+ wins this season.  I sure hope so.  I want to see Tazewell move in the right direction.  I got the Bulldogs winning over Virginia High in game 1, Mount View, Princeton, Honaker, Marion, Lebanon, and Grundy, with losses to Graham, Bluefield, and Richlands for the Dogs going 7-3. Virginia High will be close, and I understand Mount View lost a lot after their great season last year, including the one transfer to Graham.  I don't think Mount View will be as good losing 13 seniors from last years team and most of those were big time contributors, and likely their best player is transferring to Graham.  Virginia High and Mount View are possible wins for Tazewell.  So for the Dogs, I got them at 7-3 at best and 5-5 at worst.

If the hard work they have put in this off season carries over to the season, you could be right. These kids have busted their ass in the weight room!

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:32 PM, Bulldogs52 said:

If the hard work they have put in this off season carries over to the season, you could be right. These kids have busted their ass in the weight room!

It appears that the number of kids coming out grows each week, there is some excitement for Tazewell,  I agree with Hokie1Pokie, 7-3 at best and 5-5 at worst.

On 5/20/2019 at 9:42 PM, GloboGymCobras said:

How do you guys think each district will finish this year?

2A:

M7

Union- Not sure if this is picked correctly but Union or Abingdon one will win the M7. Polier will be BIG on defense for the Bears. not sure how the Offense will look but Turner will have them ready come August. 

Abingdon- As I said I’m not sure who will but one of these two will. Abingdon has a community behind their coach and the players. Not sure what they have returning but I think some coaching up with the size of the school they will be ok. 

Ridgeview- Adkins will be a one man show with Sexton graduating. Graduated most of OL I believe should be interesting to see if the pack stays afloat in the M7

Gate City- Akers has a tale.. oh wait a new coach in Houseright has a talented bunch coming in. Community seems to be behind him should be a solid first year in for coach.

Central- Owens had to make due with a new QB after his got injured last season. Warriors have a lot of good talent. Should be a scary bunch this year or next 

Lee- New coach and some young talent looking to make a name for theirselves. May win a few they aren’t supposed to.

John Battle- First year head coach. Struggled much of 2018. Should be young team looking for experience

SWD

Graham- great coaches will keep this team in the front after losing a game changer like Cam Allen

Richlands- Richlands will be Richlands. They got a good kicker 🙂 

Virginia High- Lost a lot of kids from last year  not sure how the talent looks below that. I think injuries may had been the problem last year. 

Tazewell- I have no idea what to expect this team seemed so promising last year but struggled. Seems to be a lot of talent being groomed hopefully they can capitalize. This is my 2A dark horse pick. 

Marion- new head coach should be decent year for the Canes. Have some good younger talent returning this year

Lebanon - Struggled in 2018. Hopefully they can load in some talent and gain some experience

1A

Cumberland

John I Burton- a lot of young talent on this team last year but also lost some very good talent in the Thacker kid. Seemed to be their glue last year. Expect the raiders to be a front runner for the Region D.

Eastside- Lost the best QB in the area in Rasnick. Not sure if they have anybody that can match him coming up. Whited kid will be a star for them along with LB Bellamy. 

Rye Cove- I believe this team will shock many people this year. Aside from losing DC to Gate City I think they had some solid players last year and may have one of the dark horse squads in the Cumberland.

Thomas Walker- Unfortunately TW couldn’t live up to the hype last year. I know a lot of people on the board were “on board” for the Pioneers. Got a few returners hopefully they can get something going and get a few wins in the district. 

Twin Springs- 2018 wasn’t good to the titans. Hopefully in his 2nd year coach Warner will get something going. 

Castlewood- still no coach and nearing June. Not sure they return a lot I know the Mullins kid was pretty good but I believe he was a SR

Hogoheegee

Patrick Henry- Should be one of the better if not the best team in region d. Returning almost an entire offense from last year. PH should thrive behind the 2 back tandem of last year. Only lost twice to the buzzsaw known as Chilhowie. 

Chilhowie- Lost a lot  not real sure if they have the talent on lower levels to reload with the amount of talent they have had over the previous 2 years. BHC Article has one “Key Player” returning from last years squad

Rural Retreat- first year back in the Hogoheegee should be interesting for the Indians. Not much should change seeing as they play almost all the district teams already. 

Holston- Their QB was the bright spot but he is graduated and it’ll be interesting to see how they regroup after a very impressive 2018

Northwood- it’ll be interesting to see how new head coach Tim Johnson recruits some of the athletes at Northwood. They have talented athletes on basketball team maybe some of them come to play and they win a few.

Black Diamond

Honaker- should have one of the top teams in region d. QB and Hubbard’s son was one of the best tandems in our area last year. 

Grundy- Lost one of the best backs in 1A to graduation will be interesting to see how the wave does in 2019 

Hurley- First year head coach few kids coming back. May surprise some people with a few more wins than expected

Twin Valley- Lost a lot. missing Keen kid will hurt 

No mountain empire predictions?

4 hours ago, GDUB said:

No mountain empire predictions?

I believe its Galax 1st, Fort close behind, GW is always in it, Auburn if they keep the numbers up, Grayson could sneak up there, Bland....  Should be a good district to watch.

17 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Do not sleep on Grayson County. Ask Ridgeview. 

Dropping to 1A could make them serious players for a Region D title with teams like Galax.

Thought they lost alot? And as I recall, the JV wasnt that good a few seasons ago. Maybe weight room helps, but it didnt look like there was many pure athletes on that team. 

Galax has both. Narrows is big and fast, but losing that QB hurts them. 

Just my opinion 

1 hour ago, Old Soul said:

Thought they lost alot? And as I recall, the JV wasnt that good a few seasons ago. Maybe weight room helps, but it didnt look like there was many pure athletes on that team. 

Galax has both. Narrows is big and fast, but losing that QB hurts them. 

Just my opinion 

Grayson has a lot of talented kids with some very good size currently in 9th through 11th grade.  If they can replace Hollingswoth at QB, they will be fine.  If I'm not mistaken, the probable starter at QB will be the Cassell kid and he will be a sophomore.  I graduated with his uncles.  His cousin is the Cormany kid that plays basketball at Radford.  Lots of talent in that family.

Galax will be better this year than they have been over the past few years.  They will have an influx of freshmen with some incredible talent.

Keep in mind when assessing what Galax and Grayson have within their JV programs, they don't care about winning games at the JV level.  Many of those players never even play varsity football.  Most 9th and 10th graders play varsity at Grayson and Galax.  It's a necessity given the drop in school enrollment over the past decade.  Grayson had 10 of 29 varsity players last season listed as freshmen or sophomores on the roster on the district website.  Galax had 14 of 32.

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

Grayson has a lot of talented kids with some very good size currently in 9th through 11th grade.  If they can replace Hollingswoth at QB, they will be fine.  If I'm not mistaken, the probable starter at QB will be the Cassell kid and he will be a sophomore.  I graduated with his uncles.  His cousin is the Cormany kid that plays basketball at Radford.  Lots of talent in that family.

Galax will be better this year than they have been over the past few years.  They will have an influx of freshmen with some incredible talent.

Keep in mind when assessing what Galax and Grayson have within their JV programs, they don't care about winning games at the JV level.  Many of those players never even play varsity football.  Most 9th and 10th graders play varsity at Grayson and Galax.  It's a necessity given the drop in school enrollment over the past decade.  Grayson had 10 of 29 varsity players last season listed as freshmen or sophomores on the roster on the district website.  Galax had 14 of 32.

So do you think its only Grayson and Galax that use 9th and 10th grade good athletes at the Varsity level? No sir, its every single A team in swva! Thats the way of small town schools now. So when I compare 2 JV teams, chances are the player athleticism is probably pretty close. Just trying to compare apples to apples my friend. 

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

I don't have much of a horse in this race but, I have some family in Grayson. They feel good in what they have coming back for 2019 and competing 1A

On another thought and subject I feel Carroll Co will go 500 or better in regular season for 2019... Any thoughts on this?

Jack will help things in Carroll but not sure if they go 500. My guess is 4 and 6 at best. Have to get those underclassmen in his mold first. But it will happen as long as he stays put for awhile. 

16 hours ago, Old Soul said:

So do you think its only Grayson and Galax that use 9th and 10th grade good athletes at the Varsity level? No sir, its every single A team in swva! Thats the way of small town schools now. So when I compare 2 JV teams, chances are the player athleticism is probably pretty close. Just trying to compare apples to apples my friend. 

Not an apples to apples comparison when you compare who Galax and Grayson play at the JV level versus much of the rest of SWVA.  Fort Chiswell, Radford and Glenvar all have solid JV programs that utilize much of the freshmen and sophomore classes. 

Facts matter!

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Not an apples to apples comparison when you compare who Galax and Grayson play at the JV level versus much of the rest of SWVA.  Fort Chiswell, Radford and Glenvar all have solid JV programs that utilize much of the freshmen and sophomore classes. 

Facts matter!

I watched the galax 8/9 grade team play. I’m not sure they won a game this year. Could be wrong