Staunton River could be a tough draw for Abingdon

RichlandsAlum

The Eagles have a core group of some very talented members who have been playing together for several years (both within the program and in regional travel circuits).  Don't be deceived by their record -- they beat Lord Botetourt (the #3 seed in the region) in the Blue Ridge District tournament just last week.  

On 5/22/2019 at 9:52 AM, RichlandsAlum said:

The Eagles have a core group of some very talented members who have been playing together for several years (both within the program and in regional travel circuits).  Don't be deceived by their record -- they beat Lord Botetourt (the #3 seed in the region) in the Blue Ridge District tournament just last week.  

This is why your soccer knowledge is respected on this board!  Nailed it!

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

This is why your soccer knowledge is respected on this board!  Nailed it!

Appreciate the kind words.  Truth is that I have quite a bit of inside information when it comes to SR based on my involvement with a travel club that most of those guys played with.  I have directly coached or managed 9 of this year's starters (great kids and families all). This is arguably the very best team that Staunton River has ever fielded -- and in terms of talent it may be the high water mark there for a long time.   They will be the underdog heading into the next round, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them knock off Cave Spring.

The development of travel soccer in this area has really benefited the local high school teams.  Pretty much all players in the area between Radford and Lynchburg (and Lexington and Martinsville/Danville running somewhat north to south) have access to good year-round competition now.

Congrats to Abingdon on a superb season and continued prayers for healing.