Jim Adams

GloboGymCobras

The perception (steaming from the Kavanaugh hearings and other public examples) is that women "aren't believed", and nothing could be further from the truth but young women seem to be getting this idea that they shouldn't report these types of things(rape, inappropriate touching, suggestive comments, assault, etc) because they wont be believed. There is also a HUGE difference between an accuser being believed and a accused perpetrator being proven guilty.  I read some of those comments on social media regarding the young lady speaking at the school board meeting the other day, "no one believes her" and "the powers that be don't believe her" when that's not necessarily whats going on.

The sad truth is claims need to be investigated 100% of the time, but that doesn't mean that convictions will occur 100% of the time, and the accused cant be punished based on accusations - removal from a teaching position based on accusations is a different situation than being found criminally liable 

6 hours ago, sixcat said:

Effects

• 88.7% of rape victims are women
  • on average 68% of sexual assaults go unreported
  • 98% of rapists will not spend time in jail
  • Juveniles accounted for 16% of forcible rape arrestees in 1995 and 17% of those arrested for other sex offenses
  • 1 in 4 women will face sexual abuse in their lifetime

Since 89% of victims of sexual abuse are female and factoring in the above information, what would you expect?  This is how any "movement" begins.....to bring attention to glaring disparities in the way humans are being treated!  #MeToo is not perfect but it's a start and it's not going away.

The issue I have with the #MeToo movement is that it’s much too broad in terms of scope.  I am uneasy lumping “a female had her rear smacked by a male at a club” with “a female was raped by a male”.  The instances of the first will far outnumber the instances of the second, and I do not believe it is just to the victims of the more heinous offense to consider the two instances moral social equivalents.  Just my $.02.

12 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

The issue I have with the #MeToo movement is that it’s much too broad in terms of scope.  I am uneasy lumping “a female had her rear smacked by a male at a club” with “a female was raped by a male”.  The instances of the first will far outnumber the instances of the second, and I do not believe it is just to the victims of the more heinous offense to consider the two instances moral social equivalents.  Just my $.02.

I don't disagree but like any uprising, "movements" have to begin somewhere.  While neither example you give is socially acceptable, they do deserve a very different punishment.  My issue is, like anything else in modern society (including your example), a movement intended to give voice to and empower women has been perverted for political gain.  Differentiating between the two isn't terribly difficult but most people are too lazy to do so.  They would rather take the silly Facebook meme and believe it as absolute truth. 

Groupthink is an epidemic in our society!

Graham's my primary concern with the football board but here goes.

1. Sexual harrassment and sexual assault are not the same. Giving data for assault and attempting to make it applicable to harrassment isn't applicable.

2. But, since the discussion turned to sexual assault data, the data shows from the 2010 study referenced in this thread that the 2-10% false accusations number is closer to 6% (5.9%) to be exact and not closer to 2%.  The FBI concluded the number approaches 8% for false reporting (allegations). 

3. The FBI concludes the number of total prisoners that are found guilty of a crime that are truly innocent is approximately 1.9%. This puts the rate of false reporting or allegations for sexual assault at approximately 400% higher than all other crimes in which the accused is found guilty in criminal court. 

4. The media and many articles and studies will say, "the rate of false accusations for sexual assault are really low."  The fact is, compared to false accusation for other crimes, its dramatically HIGH.

5. The above data are for sexual assault, and not for sexual harassment. The numbers and studies are not quantifiable for false sexual Harrasment claims because the overwhelming majority of those who falsely accuse are never prosecuted. Also, it's hard to prove or disprove what is true or false regarding sexual harassment, but if sexual assault is 5.9 to 8% in flase allegations, common sense says false allegations for the lesser offense of sexual harassment is much higher than assault.

In conclusion, I'm not saying the Coach in discussion is guilty, innocent, liable or not liable. I also hate sexual assault and harassment. I Am saying that false allegations or reporting for sexual assault and most likely harassment are overwhelmingly High compared to other crimes.  Finally, sexual assault is underreported. But, because it's underreported does not mean the rate of false allegations for it are high, and the false reporting rate is actually High compared to other crimes.

3 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Graham's my primary concern with the football board but here goes.

1. Sexual harrassment and sexual assault are not the same. Giving data for assault and attempting to make it applicable to harrassment isn't applicable.

2. But, since the discussion turned to sexual assault data, the data shows from the 2010 study referenced in this thread that the 2-10% false accusations number is closer to 6% (5.9%) to be exact and not closer to 2%.  The FBI concluded the number approaches 8% for false reporting (allegations). 

3. The FBI concludes the number of total prisoners that are found guilty of a crime that are truly innocent is approximately 1.9%. This puts the rate of false reporting or allegations for sexual assault at approximately 400% higher than all other crimes in which the accused is found guilty in criminal court. 

4. The media and many articles and studies will say, "the rate of false accusations for sexual assault are really low."  The fact is, compared to false accusation for other crimes, its dramatically HIGH.

5. The above data are for sexual assault, and not for sexual harassment. The numbers and studies are not quantifiable for false sexual Harrasment claims because the overwhelming majority of those who falsely accuse are never prosecuted. Also, it's hard to prove or disprove what is true or false regarding sexual harassment, but if sexual assault is 5.9 to 8% in flase allegations, common sense says false allegations for the lesser offense of sexual harassment is much higher than assault.

In conclusion, I'm not saying the Coach in discussion is guilty, innocent, liable or not liable. I also hate sexual assault and harassment. I Am saying that false allegations or reporting for sexual assault and most likely harassment are overwhelmingly High compared to other crimes.  Finally, sexual assault is underreported. But, because it's underreported does not mean the rate of false allegations for it are high, and the false reporting rate is actually High compared to other crimes.

I said the number was closer to 7%. Or did you miss that part?  Not to mention your post lacks a ton of context. What crimes make up the majority of the 1.9%? 

3 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

So, 14 more students and/or former students have come forward since the school board decision to reinstate Adams became news-worthy, for a total of 16 accusations!?!?!  

Good luck getting anyone reasonable to believe the whole "false accusation" narrative!

53 minutes ago, sixcat said:

So, 14 more students and/or former students have come forward since the school board decision to reinstate Adams became news-worthy, for a total of 16 accusations!?!?!  

Good luck getting anyone reasonable to believe the whole "false accusation" narrative!

I'm not sure about the whole transferring him from the high school down to the elementary/middle school either.  As a parent who has a daughter going into middle school in August, I would be outraged by that move if that were the school she were attending.  I know I said earlier in the thread that I though Jimbo was an a-hole, but not that TYPE of a-hole, it's quite hard to argue when 16 people have come forward now.

24 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I'm not sure about the whole transferring him from the high school down to the elementary/middle school either.  As a parent who has a daughter going into middle school in August, I would be outraged by that move if that were the school she were attending.  I know I said earlier in the thread that I though Jimbo was an a-hole, but not that TYPE of a-hole, it's quite hard to argue when 16 people have come forward now.

I have a daughter in high school and another in middle school.  Action would be warranted on our part as parents if they attended this school system!  As a father, especially a father with daughters, how could you not?

• 2 weeks later...

Guess it's not quite over. Excerpt from Coalfield Progress article...

Meanwhile, the Norton superintendent also has confirmed the naming of an interim head football coach but won't discuss the status of embattled gridiron chief Jim Adams.

"Jacob Caudill is currently serving as the acting head football coach," schools chief Gina Wohlford said in a July 3 email. "I cannot comment any further, at present, regarding ongoing personnel matters."

9 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Guess it's not quite over. Excerpt from Coalfield Progress article...

Meanwhile, the Norton superintendent also has confirmed the naming of an interim head football coach but won't discuss the status of embattled gridiron chief Jim Adams.

"Jacob Caudill is currently serving as the acting head football coach," schools chief Gina Wohlford said in a July 3 email. "I cannot comment any further, at present, regarding ongoing personnel matters."

JIMBO , should step down, I hate it because he deserves a chance to defend himself.He should except the fact that several things are working against him and just go into retirement. I know NOTHING about what happened there but I disagree with the logic that rape, sexual assault , battery, harassment crimes are never made up. I can speak from my 30+ years on the job and tell you that under the best circumstances (DNA,PICTURES , VIDEO,and other evidence)these type of crimes are hard to prosecute and get a conviction on.The STATE POLICE will do their job and do it well,to get to the truth......even in the worst lies ,there is some truth.The RAIDERS need to move on, not because JIMBO is guilty, but because the kids just need a clear head and play ball

Ok he was initially suspended and investigated, which found nothing worthy to remove him. Then his coaching contact not his teaching contract was not renewed, and later renewed. People want him removed as a coach, but does that ensure he is not around students ? Absolutely not, he's tenured and has legal protection. Its also too late to put legal charges on him. He might step down as a coach, but I seriously doubt he stops teaching. Unless he is removed from the classroom the problem isn't fixed. At this point I don't think they can remove him without a major legal battle. Tenured teachers are not easy to fire. 

I'm not saying every account of his wrong doing is false, but remember folks we do live in a time where students do lie to get teachers fired. That's why every teacher should have legal protection in Richmond. 

This situation is sad and doesn't affect me in any way but I have two daughters.  I'm not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt!  Especially when 16 different young ladies are making similar claims against Adams.  Galax recently fired 3 administrators for circulating unflattering memes featuring another administrator.  The situation in Norton is far more serious.  If the Norton school board wanted him out, they have the ammunition to do so.  Inappropriate behavior shouldn't be tolerated or excused for the sake of the athletics department or to protect the good ole boys club!  

Just my opinion!

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand his frustration, but hes making this a train wreck and its destroying his legacy imo.   It seems his ultimate goal is to force his way back into the HC role so that he can turn things over to his son later.

Imo its selfish and the kids on the team will pay the price for it

34 minutes ago, redtiger said:

I can understand his frustration, but hes making this a train wreck and its destroying his legacy imo.   It seems his ultimate goal is to force his way back into the HC role so that he can turn things over to his son later.

Imo its selfish and the kids on the team will pay the price for it

It is also his livelihood and his reputation if he truly believes he did nothing wrong why would he not fight. If he does not fight it then he is not ever working in the education field again. 

As for being selfish fighting it puts the kids in the position that there coach may be replaced at any time (Bad) Not fighting it takes food out of his famlys mouth and ruins his reputation regardless of the out come of the investigation (Worse)

Do not read this as a defense of Jimbos alleged actions if he is found by the investigation to have been in the wrong then fire him  then

• 2 weeks later...