Greatest/Most Impactful play..

GloboGymCobras

For PV, the most remembered offensive play is probably their last offensive play from scrimmage in the 1989 finals vs. Lunenburg. On defense, either the final 2 point conversion play in 1985 vs Lunenburg or the final play vs Appy in 1997. On special teams, probably the blocked field goal on the last play vs Madison in 1982 which produced PV’s first state title.

14 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

For PV, the most remembered offensive play is probably their last offensive play from scrimmage in the 1989 finals vs. Lunenburg. On defense, either the final 2 point conversion play in 1985 vs Lunenburg or the final play vs Appy in 1997. On special teams, probably the blocked field goal on the last play vs Madison in 1982 which produced PV’s first state title.

Good answers! Waiting on some Richlands folk to join in. I’m sure there will be a few different answers to it. 

For me, Wicks all but decapitating Isaiah Goins from Hidden Valley in the semis in 06 is the moment that stands out for me. 

Set the tone of that game early in what went on to be a blowout and then a state title win the following week. 

You could also put “The Miracle in Stuarts Draft” in there as well. About as wild a 2 minutes as I can recall. 

I think Ben Brown ripping the ball away from the Va High running back "Brown" in OT a few years back and returning it for a TD is one of the greatest plays in Blues history.  I also agree with Ryan on the super hit and the super finish at SD, but there are so many others, ( the fake punt in the 2006 Championship is another one that comes to mind, who would think 4th and 15 and you fake a bunt, are you kidding me) GO BLUES!!!!

3 hours ago, Blue 72 said:

I think Ben Brown ripping the ball away from the Va High running back "Brown" in OT a few years back and returning it for a TD is one of the greatest plays in Blues history. 

I think so also.

2 hours ago, Grapeape said:

2002 GC @ George Wythe 

final play of regulation, PAT

Colobro ices his own kicker, Garder misses the kick, we squandered one of the best state title - level teams in school history. 

TREMENDOUS GC team. Kicked the hell out of Haysi a few weeks earlier

16 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

For me, Wicks all but decapitating Isaiah Goins from Hidden Valley in the semis in 06 is the moment that stands out for me. 

Set the tone of that game early in what went on to be a blowout and then a state title win the following week. 

You could also put “The Miracle in Stuarts Draft” in there as well. About as wild a 2 minutes as I can recall. 

Those are two really good plays. Was the cart used to carry Mance's manhood off the field after that 2pt conversion call? 

Gate City’s Adam McClelland’s 35 yard game winning field goal (wounded duck) vs Jefferson Forest in the 1997 semifinals. Still gives me chills to watch it with the news coverage under the goal post.  

Will Hubbard’s game ending interception in 2003 vs Radford in the semifinals is another great one. Radford was driving late and had the ball around the GC 40. Radford’s QB scrambled out and then back to the middle of the field and threw the ball right to Hubbard. GC ran out the clock and claimed a 28-21 victory. 

Minds well add Logan Byrd drilling 40+ yard field goals in the 2010 semifinals at Radford in the pouring snow. After being put on “no contact, just kicking” by his doctor because of his shoulder saved potentially a momentum swing by running down a Radford player from about 80 yards inside the 5 after GC had a bad snap on a FG attempt and then held Radford to 3pts. Ended up being huge for GC.  

Funny how those moments happened in the semifinals.  But fortunately there are plenty more huge plays in GC history. Those 3 stick out in my mind and are probably 3 of my favorites from my lifetime. Some of the old timers would probably add to the list. Like Phil Rogers taking the opening kickoff to the house in the 1970 state championship game vs James Monroe. 

I would have to say Robbie Newman's 43 yd HB option catch for Jonesville to tie the 1988 championship game with 1:22 left (only his 2nd catch of the season) was the most important single play in SW VA. It was one of the most unlikely plays I have ever seen succeed and it led directly to a state championship in a school's very last game.

As for a play that set up a dynasty it would have to be the final play of the first half in the WV AAA championship game vs Parkersburg. Bluefield ran the Halfback pass where the QB hands off and circles out to receive the pass. The play tied the game at 7-7 and gave Bluefield momentum at the half and they went on to win the game and they have rarely lost that "momentum" since that play. It was the first of 11 championships and many successful seasons since.

In no particular order......

* Appy's Ron Davis returning an interception 100 yards for a TD against Madison Co. in the state title game.

* PV's  Robbie Duncan to Ricky Webb with 11 seconds to go for the win against Lunnenburg in the state finals.

* Kelly's Scott Church to a player whose name escapes me at the moment for a TD pass to beat Purry McClure in the semis.

1 minute ago, Liam McPoyle said:

This was a pretty epic play for Giles, a school that has produced many over the years. GHS's TD pass to tie Brunswick in regulation during the 2013 title game.  The Spartans eventually win 20-19 in OT.

Awesome moment...especially for a team that throws maybe 3 times a game to win a state title with a passing TD

2 hours ago, JDHoss said:

In no particular order......

* Appy's Ron Davis returning an interception 100 yards for a TD against Madison Co. in the state title game.

* PV's  Robbie Duncan to Ricky Webb with 11 seconds to go for the win against Lunnenburg in the state finals.

* Kelly's Scott Church to a player whose name escapes me at the moment for a TD pass to beat Purry McClure in the semis.

i think it was mike osborne that church threw the td to

The 1981 Snow Bowl was Graham hosting Tazewell and an unthinkable long pass and catch from Eddie Neal to Lee Crimes in heavy snow, thus winning the game. Of interest, the Tazewell defensive back slipped and fail leaving Lee Grimes with wide open terrain down the middle of the field. That DB for Tazewell was the super talented Jimmy King, a multi star athlete and former John Battle Baseball coach who won 2 state titles and he coached football. Now, he's of course the principal at John Battle High.

In 1981, Graham had a first class jobbing at Martinsville in the state semis in which 2 officals were actually intoxicated, yes... they were literally intoxicated. Graham lost 15-6 in probably the worst one sided officiated game at the High School level I have ever seen, and that includes all sports. Martinsville lost 20-6 the next week to powerhouse Tabb in the state title. Around Bluefield over the years, some will tell you that the Graham of 81 left a state title on the field. (I've heard this from a few including to former Graham assistants. Graham has a solid team, but Tabb was the real deal in the early to late 80s and Graham would have had a lot of stuff go right to beat Tabb, but they should have beat Martinsville. Graham outplayed them and got absolutely jobbed. One other thing about Tabb in 1981, they only played 6 teams in regular season. They played 10 regular season games, but played 4 teams twice. Now, thats weird.