Tazewell County QB

Beano_31

Seems like there will be a new signal caller at all three Tazewell County schools this year.

Graham - Lester or Meadows. Meadows has looked good so far this summer and the thoughts of teaming Lester, Ray, and Justice on the outside with Meadows slinging the rock has to intrigue Graham fans.

Richlands - The battle between Simmons/Cox seems to be Cox to lose. He has done a good job with Richlands in the 7on7s so far this year. Whoever the QB is needs to get the ball to Webb.

Tazewell - Blevins transfer to Bluefield opens up the competition. Obvious choice is Jordan at quarterback. Looked good against Virginia High and actually in all the games he played QB. But hearing the job is open and sophomore Mullins has been impressive. 

Blevins back to Bluefield is not a surprise, Mullins is a good QB and a smart kid and should handle the position just fine.   I think Tazewell would be better off with Mullins at QB and Jordan getting the ball as much as possible. Tazewell probably won't lose a step, there was inconsistency at qb last year with Blevins and Jordan splitting time, it seemed hard for them to get into a rhythm.  Hopefully the Bulldogs will find some consistency at qb with Mullins and Jordan can run the wildcat on occasion, he can also pass the ball well.  Tazewell has some very talented backs and receivers coming back. Harris, Jordan and Jones will be 3 of the most athletic players in the area.  If they have good blocking, that offense could be special this year.   I am interested to see how Tazewell does.  They are not young anymore, time for them to shine.  Blevins is a good fit for the Beavers as well. Will he be the starter?  Not sure, but he would fit in to their offense well.

I am hearing that Meadows has performed well at Graham during 7 on 7's and he is not your average freshman QB.  May be in Graham's best interest if Lester is not the the QB this season.  They could put him behind center and use him in the wild-cat or have plays designed just for him at QB some, lots of potential with Meadows stepping up.  I don't think Lester would mind, he will get the ball in his hands a LOT this year.  Having a very solid backfield will help,Booker, Reed, Turner and Ray can all run the ball.  The line will be the big question for Graham.  There were rumblings of a very talented football and basketball player (QB) moving to Bluefield, VA from NC.  His dad had entertained moving back to the area, I heard,  but I don't think his employment search was very successful.  That would have been huge for Graham.  

As for Richlands, I don't know much about either QB or what's happening on that end of the county.  I'm sure Mance will have them ready, whoever the QB is.

22 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I could start at QB and Graham would win 3 games...

I think Graham could win 9 with you (or me-and that would not be a good thing) as the QB.  They will have to play awesome and have a little luck to have a chance in that first one, I think.  The defense will need to play outstanding in that first one as well, but the defense should be much better than what we saw in that first game against Bluefield last year.

Lester should be the QB this year I think. Meadows is going to be special and he will be an incredibly gifted QB in the future, and likely next year. But, he's not ready yet. Lester at QB gives Graham the best chance to win compared to Lester at WR. I know Devin would rather play WR and in the slot as this is where he's recruited and he's dynamic, but the gap between him, a senior, compared to Meadows is simply to much.  In front of Bluefield, 10,000 people and that ungodly talent Bluefield has in the secondary and with Martin on the DL, you want a cool, experienced, senior, who could still make plays with his feet at QB, and Graham will be fine and still incredibly gifted at WR with Justice, Turner, and Mr. Mount View (a dynamic athlete) and Joey Dales. Graham has tons of people to throw the ball to, and that's even with Lester at QB. I think Meadows will get snaps and be worked in to the position on plays where Lester gets touches at RB out of the backfield, or on quick hitches where Toni wants him touches when he's not under center, for example, in the slot.

1 hour ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Lester should be the QB this year I think. Meadows is going to be special and he will be an incredibly gifted QB in the future, and likely next year. But, he's not ready yet. Lester at QB gives Graham the best chance to win compared to Lester at WR. I know Devin would rather play WR and in the slot as this is where he's recruited and he's dynamic, but the gap between him, a senior, compared to Meadows is simply to much.  In front of Bluefield, 10,000 people and that ungodly talent Bluefield has in the secondary and with Martin on the DL, you want a cool, experienced, senior, who could still make plays with his feet at QB, and Graham will be fine and still incredibly gifted at WR with Justice, Turner, and Mr. Mount View (a dynamic athlete) and Joey Dales. Graham has tons of people to throw the ball to, and that's even with Lester at QB. I think Meadows will get snaps and be worked in to the position on plays where Lester gets touches at RB out of the backfield, or on quick hitches where Toni wants him touches when he's not under center, for example, in the slot.

I agree.  Lester should start and Meadows can get plenty of practice throughout the season to try to keep Lester healthy and fresh in contests that may not be close.  Lineplay for Graham will be huge in that first game.

11 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

Baptism by Fire baby! Throw Meadows in against Bluefield and he'll be ready for anything thrown at him the rest of the year if not high school career. 

I'd rather have a tested QB with a few scars than one coddled into the spot. 

Throwing a freshman in to that situation is a bit much to ask, in my opinion.  10,000-12,000 fans and one of America's top rivalry game is a lot of pressure on a freshman qb.  Lester has been there, done that and has nerves of steel, I would go with Lester at qb in that first matchup and have the ball in his hands as much as possible. I guess we will see.  It will be interesting to see how things play out.  May be that neither one of them is starting qb in that first game.

For Tazewell I believe Nunley will get the starting nod to begin the season. Both kids are young and have the RB tandem of Harris and Jones to fall back on, also Jordan to use in any position. Tazewell’s first half of the season will really test this group, especially the young lineman. But to have a plug and play type of QB as Tazewell has can be useful, IMO.

Does Lester throw the ball pretty good..i know a lot of kids doesn't do the best by becoming the QB there Sr season...i know he is dangerous with the ball in his hands just wondering if he can throws the ball well...he will do well where ever he lines up.he is that dangerous.

1 hour ago, #1BLUESFAN said:

Does Lester throw the ball pretty good..i know a lot of kids doesn't do the best by becoming the QB there Sr season...i know he is dangerous with the ball in his hands just wondering if he can throws the ball well...he will do well where ever he lines up.he is that dangerous.

Lester has a cannon of an arm.  A lot of folks wanted Lester to be the starter over Allen last year.  

2 hours ago, SpillBoss said:

For Tazewell I believe Nunley will get the starting nod to begin the season. Both kids are young and have the RB tandem of Harris and Jones to fall back on, also Jordan to use in any position. Tazewell’s first half of the season will really test this group, especially the young lineman. But to have a plug and play type of QB as Tazewell has can be useful, IMO.

Nunley and not Mullens?  I figured Nunley to be a target at receiver, along with Honaker.  Although, Nunley is a smart kid and good athlete too.  Tazewell has a lot of talent on the field.

11 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Nunley and not Mullens?  I figured Nunley to be a target at receiver, along with Honaker.  Although, Nunley is a smart kid and good athlete too.  Tazewell has a lot of talent on the field.

That's what I see happening.  I'm sure once the real practice starts anything can happen.

On 7/3/2019 at 9:06 PM, Beano_31 said:

Graham - Lester or Meadows. Meadows has looked good so far this summer and the thoughts of teaming Lester, Ray, and Justice on the outside with Meadows slinging the rock has to intrigue Graham fans.

Just, STOP.  Lester will be the QB at Graham this season.