Top players

GloboGymCobras

1 hour ago, GloboGymCobras said:

Who will be the top players in 1D and 2D this year? 

My picks would be: 

1D- either Culbertson, John I Burton or Brown, Patrick Henry 

2D- Adkins, Ridgeview

will get to see all 3 play at some point unfortunately honaker plays them all away this year. 

Thats a pretty bold statement considering 2D-Graham is loaded and I would venture that 1D-Chilhowie will have some really good talent.

1 hour ago, Falcon Mania said:

Thats a pretty bold statement considering 2D-Graham is loaded and I would venture that 1D-Chilhowie will have some really good talent.

Chilhowie's going to be solid, but there aren't really any stars left from the last couple of seasons. I genuinely believe that the Hogo is going to be PH's to lose, which isn't saying a lot, but a district title is a district title; doubt they'd be favored if GW and Marion were still there. Again, I think Chilhowie's good enough to win 7-8 regular season games, but if you asked me who the playmakers would be, I don't think I could answer that.

3 hours ago, GloboGymCobras said:

Who will be the top players in 1D and 2D this year? 

My picks would be: 

1D- either Culbertson, John I Burton or Brown, Patrick Henry 

2D- Adkins, Ridgeview

will get to see all 3 play at some point unfortunately honaker plays them all away this year. 

I don't see Chilhowie having a single standout, but the Warriors have a whole slew of potential playmakers.  Keep an eye on Logan Adams, Malachi Thomas, Lucas Doss, Jonathon Gilley, Jordan Williams, and Kyle Plemmons .  These are just some of last year's underclassmen that gave CHS such depth.  I'm not predicting another 10-0, but every regular season game is winnable.

One of the best football players in SWVA that very, very few will talk about is the Moss kid from Marion. Very few will talk about him because he doesn’t touch the football (unless he destroys the ballcarrier and causes and recovers a fumble). The Bearcats have played Marion 3 times in the last 2 seasons, and every time I’ve watched him, he has impressed me very much.

If I’m not mistaken, he has already been voted All-Region twice in football, and he is an absolute stud in the heavyweight division on the wrestling mat.

My son graduated VHS this spring with multiple scholarship offers in two sports. He has been mentioned by many associated with VHS football over the years(not me) as one of the best two-way football players from VHS in a long time. He played against the likes of James Mitchell, Taymon Cooke, Cam Allen, John-Luke Asbury, Jake Sturgill, Matthew Fulton, Javon Scruggs, DeVon Graves, Landon Lowe, Seth Johnson, Jeb Stidham, Cody Howie, Hunter Collier, Greg Sanchez, Logan Branson, Courtland Carter, Ryan Gibson, Lane Scarborough, and many others, and he says that Moss is one of the baddest MFers he’s ever lined up against. Film proves that to be true.

Just like my kid and the Stanley kid from Lebanon last year, Moss plays at a school that is mostly an afterthought in football in our region. This usually means that the standout players get very little recognition by the casual fan. 

A big difference between the first set of names I mentioned and kids like Moss, are that the first group of kids played on really good teams. All of those kids in the first group were/are uber talented, but nearly all  of those kids did not have to shoulder a huge majority of the load of responsibility for their respective teams, except for maybe Scarborough at Battle and Collier at Gate City. Hell, just about all of the guys in the first group have a teammate mentioned in that group. Those kids in the first group also had other really, really good teammates that I didn’t even mention, and most had top notch coaches as well.

I think there’s a few players that always get overlooked. Kids like Isaiah Justice and Joey Dales are multisport athletes that are playmakers and unselfish downfield blockers. Cade Simmons is a tremendous athlete that could have a big year. These young men get overlooked in the preseason probably due the fact they excel in Spring sports and get a late start but they excel in the Fall too.

2 hours ago, grandpaw trojan said:

the worst part of a good 2 way player is if he were going 1 way he could be very good, on those warm nights by the middle of the 3rd quarter they are about gassed. 

Unfortunately, when a team has fewer than 30 players dress out, and 10-15 of those kids are JV players, there are quite a few two-way players. That was the case for VHS in 2018. Their two way seniors were good football players, hence why even though they were 5-5 in the regular season, they were within one score and possession of the ball late in the game against the best team Tn. High has had in many years. It’s why it took a last second defensive stand for Abingdon to escape with a 14-10(or so) win when the next two weeks that same Abingdon team went on to score 70 combined points in two wins against Union and Ridgeview. It’s also why they were within one score and had possession of the ball in the 3rd quarter against Graham in the playoffs, when the Bearcats had a kid playing QB, that had never played that position in his entire life.

The talent was there in their few seniors, but as you correctly stated, and as did I in the “numbers” thread, they were gassed because of a very small roster. Tazewell went through the same thing two years ago and the poor numbers, combined with youth, allowed them to get their teeth kicked in nearly every week.

Not Class 1 or 2 but worthy of mention.  Carroll County got a pair of transfers named Stephen (SR) and Benji (SO) Gosnell from North Carolina.  Stephen is 6'-2" tall, around 215 pounds and has signed to play WR at NC State.  He was the number 30 ranked player in North Carolina as a junior last season before transferring.  He accounted for more than 2,500 yards last season for East Surry who lost in the state finals to Tarboro. 

Benji is 6'-3" tall, a shade over 200 pounds and plays DE.  Although rumor is, he is going to concentrate on basketball and baseball and drop football.

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/high_schools/carroll-county-transfer-commits-to-n-c-state-to-play/article_05647d5d-00d9-5cfa-a63a-49002dbe10c5.html

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

I wouldn't say marion is an after thought considering where they were before wright and CARROLL. Down seasons happen but they've rebounded nicely and remain competitive, even against perennial power house vhs. Moss is a great athlete with a promising future.

Perennial power house?......cute

I mentioned VHS in the same sentence as Marion and Lebanon. The fact of the matter is all three schools are exactly that, afterthoughts in football. It’s not personal, but none of those schools are near the levels of Union, Graham, or Richlands, the true perennial powerhouses in our region.

Yes, Marion has had consistently good teams in the distant past, and as recently as 2017, had a really tough team, but it’s been many, many years since Marion has had a team that has been considered a contender year in and year out.

6 hours ago, Bearcat Dad said:

Perennial power house?......cute

I mentioned VHS in the same sentence as Marion and Lebanon. The fact of the matter is all three schools are exactly that, afterthoughts in football. It’s not personal, but none of those schools are near the levels of Union, Graham, or Richlands, the true perennial powerhouses in our region.

Yes, Marion has had consistently good teams in the distant past, and as recently as 2017, had a really tough team, but it’s been many, many years since Marion has had a team that has been considered a contender year in and year out.

^This. Until recently, with the exception of '00 & '01 and '86 & '87, Marion hasn't been consistently relevant since the mid-70s, and quite frankly for the bulk of the time from around '75 to the late '00s they were flat out bad. So bad that most folks on this board probably don't know Marion as being anything more than a historical tune-up game. 

Even now, I think the best profile that they could expect would be a "respectable program." But that's not a knock, because if you're in 2A and not named Giles, Graham, Richlands, Union, or Gate City, I think that being a "respectable program" is about as high of an echelon as you can reach.

4 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

^This. Until recently, with the exception of '00 & '01 and '86 & '87, Marion hasn't been consistently relevant since the mid-70s, and quite frankly for the bulk of the time from around '75 to the late '00s they were flat out bad. So bad that most folks on this board probably don't know Marion as being anything more than a historical tune-up game. 

Even now, I think the best profile that they could expect would be a "respectable program." But that's not a knock, because if you're in 2A and not named Giles, Graham, Richlands, Union, or Gate City, I think that being a "respectable program" is about as high of an echelon as you can reach.

I couldn’t have said it better myself. The other poster took a shot with the “perennial powerhouse” comment, which is hilarious. I have posts all over this board, admitting that VHS is the poster boy for mediocrity in football, literally. In over 100 seasons, their overall record is like 2 or 3 games under .500.

I didn’t mean my comment as a slight at all, even though he/she obviously took it that way. 

12 hours ago, Westisthebest said:

My question is will Richlands have a RB this year? Past few years have hurt them. Could we see Webb carrying some since hes bulked up?

Steele will be the primary back. He’s bulked up a lot this offseason, too.