Top players

GloboGymCobras

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I would put Harris on that list too.

I agree! Didn’t even think about that. I’m hearing that they got another freshman RB, Brandon Dowdy I think is his name, they’re saying he’s suppose to be something special. 

Edit: Correction, Braxton Dowdy. 

On 7/15/2019 at 4:31 PM, sixcat said:

Not Class 1 or 2 but worthy of mention.  Carroll County got a pair of transfers named Stephen (SR) and Benji (SO) Gosnell from North Carolina.  Stephen is 6'-2" tall, around 215 pounds and has signed to play WR at NC State.  He was the number 30 ranked player in North Carolina as a junior last season before transferring.  He accounted for more than 2,500 yards last season for East Surry who lost in the state finals to Tarboro. 

Benji is 6'-3" tall, a shade over 200 pounds and plays DE.  Although rumor is, he is going to concentrate on basketball and baseball and drop football.

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/high_schools/carroll-county-transfer-commits-to-n-c-state-to-play/article_05647d5d-00d9-5cfa-a63a-49002dbe10c5.html

Interesting tidbit since these two returned to East Surry, NC for this school year.  Stephen Gosnell had 205 yards receiving and 2 TD catches.  Brother Benji had a forced fumble, fumble recovery and TD run.  East Surry beat East Wilkes 69-7.  East Wilkes scrimmaged Galax a couple of weeks ago.  

East Surry's QB is 6'-8" tall and 230 pounds and has committed to North Carolina.  He finished the game 17-19 for 295 yards and 5 TD passes.    

On 7/19/2019 at 9:04 AM, Ryan4VT said:

Steele will be the primary back. He’s bulked up a lot this offseason, too. 

Steele is no running back. I hope Mance sees that sooner rather than later. Hes more of a receiver.  I would start the Gillespie kid over him. Or move Steele to wide out and move 8 or 9 (whichever one is playing wideout) to TE.

On 7/14/2019 at 3:47 PM, Bearcat Dad said:

One of the best football players in SWVA that very, very few will talk about is the Moss kid from Marion. Very few will talk about him because he doesn’t touch the football (unless he destroys the ballcarrier and causes and recovers a fumble). The Bearcats have played Marion 3 times in the last 2 seasons, and every time I’ve watched him, he has impressed me very much.

If I’m not mistaken, he has already been voted All-Region twice in football, and he is an absolute stud in the heavyweight division on the wrestling mat.

My son graduated VHS this spring with multiple scholarship offers in two sports. He has been mentioned by many associated with VHS football over the years(not me) as one of the best two-way football players from VHS in a long time. He played against the likes of James Mitchell, Taymon Cooke, Cam Allen, John-Luke Asbury, Jake Sturgill, Matthew Fulton, Javon Scruggs, DeVon Graves, Landon Lowe, Seth Johnson, Jeb Stidham, Cody Howie, Hunter Collier, Greg Sanchez, Logan Branson, Courtland Carter, Ryan Gibson, Lane Scarborough, and many others, and he says that Moss is one of the baddest MFers he’s ever lined up against. Film proves that to be true.

Just like my kid and the Stanley kid from Lebanon last year, Moss plays at a school that is mostly an afterthought in football in our region. This usually means that the standout players get very little recognition by the casual fan. 

A big difference between the first set of names I mentioned and kids like Moss, are that the first group of kids played on really good teams. All of those kids in the first group were/are uber talented, but nearly all  of those kids did not have to shoulder a huge majority of the load of responsibility for their respective teams, except for maybe Scarborough at Battle and Collier at Gate City. Hell, just about all of the guys in the first group have a teammate mentioned in that group. Those kids in the first group also had other really, really good teammates that I didn’t even mention, and most had top notch coaches as well.

Maybe I know a little something, after all!

https://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/prep-football-marion-s-will-moss-is-a-dominate-fixture/article_38bef04a-c9e1-11e9-82e0-2b62ede79237.html

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Excellent stats for a breakout game against a tough opponent,  vs norton/Cumberland not so much.  

That’s an a Burton that’s will go 8-2 at worst. They are a good foot team that could beat half the Class 2 schools around here. 

1 hour ago, Tiger 2000 said:

I told you about a month ago.  Adkins , then Lester , Webb , Harris , Moss , meadows.    Adkins is the leader.  Also will get the most touches.  The kid is legit.  

He don't get the touches they'll lose.