Season surprises??

Hokie777

When we look back on the end of the 2019 Football season what surprises will there be to speak of? Is there a team nobody foresees as a possible victor to grab the spotlight? Could the Central Warriors be much better than last year? Gate City perhaps return to former strength and division leader?? Thoughts please from all the talented minds of SWVA football folks!

I think you might be right on those two. But I think Honaker will be surprisingly good in 1D. My previous comments on a predictions post had Honaker, Burton and Patrick Henry as front runners and I’m not sure that to be as true. I think I may have doubted the Chilhowie warriors a bit too much I think they may be able to play with all teams in region. I’d also have some doubt about the Burton Raiders if they don’t have Coach Jim Adams they may be hurting. That’s 20 years of him being the guy possibly gone. From what I understand the interim HC is an internal guy but without Adams they may have a rough year. Wise and gate city may both surprise a few people. I’m not convinced Union will be the team they have been past years. Certainly would be a big win for Gate city and wise to be beat them. 

I think the Blues are gonna be a lot better team then what there record may show at the end of the season..looking at there schedule they could go 5 and 5 easy but I think they will finish 7 -3 or 8-2.but they will be battle tested and ready for they playoffs....if they can stay healthy...

I think John Battle  may be better than a lot of people think they will be, I know there is a lot of things to be seen. They have a new coach but he has been around  the team a while, they have a very good line returning on both sides of the ball, two very good linebackers an behind them seems decent. They have some fine wideouts that can catch the ball an a very good returning running back, the quarterback is capable of running things if he doesn't get hurt. But all this is yet to be seen but I do think they will be a team that surprise a lot of people.

Abingdon should be better this year than they were last season.  Coach Amburgey and Company now have had a full off season to get his program in the fashion he wants it to operate.  Strength and conditioning has been a priority for the Falcons and they all look physically bigger and stronger.  From what I'm hearing there has been good numbers out for spring and summer workouts.  The Falcons will still need to settle on the QB position and it appears they have filled the holes left by graduation. RB Martin Lucas looks like a physical specimen.  He will certainly be carrying the load early on.

I got Gate City in 2A at 6-4 and easily making the playoffs and I'm not sure it's a surprise, but Patrick Henry going to the state semi's and winning the region. I don't consider Union or Richland's a surprise. Both are excellent 2A programs. 

2 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

I got Gate City in 2A at 6-4 and easily making the playoffs and I'm not sure it's a surprise, but Patrick Henry going to the state semi's and winning the region. I don't consider Union or Richland's a surprise. Both are excellent 2A programs. 

6-4 would be shock and awe for Gate City.

So far in the thread every team in the Mountain District, according to opinion, is going to be better than everyone thinks! Except for Ridgeview, who in all likelihood will run away and hide from the field. Hope Springs eternal!!!!  

2 hours ago, SXSW said:

So far in the thread every team in the Mountain District, according to opinion, is going to be better than everyone thinks! Except for Ridgeview, who in all likelihood will run away and hide from the field. Hope Springs eternal!!!!  

Hope you're right, but I kinda doubt that.  Lol.

I'm curious as to why 6-4 would be a "shock and awe" for GC. They lost 3 games last year by a combined 11 points that they should've won. Boone's off the schedule this year and they have an impoved coaching staff. Everybody's undefeated at this point so a little optimism is good.

On 7/19/2019 at 9:24 AM, Falcon Mania said:

Abingdon should be better this year than they were last season.  Coach Amburgey and Company now have had a full off season to get his program in the fashion he wants it to operate.  Strength and conditioning has been a priority for the Falcons and they all look physically bigger and stronger.  From what I'm hearing there has been good numbers out for spring and summer workouts.  The Falcons will still need to settle on the QB position and it appears they have filled the holes left by graduation. RB Martin Lucas looks like a physical specimen.  He will certainly be carrying the load early on.

If Abingdon's O-Line gets bigger and more physical, that will be something fun for an old lineman to watch. They destroyed the Ridgeview defensive front  last year in a way that you just don't see much. More pancakes than Aunt Jemima's house on Sunday morning.

6 hours ago, GC_Quincy said:

I'm curious as to why 6-4 would be a "shock and awe" for GC. They lost 3 games last year by a combined 11 points that they should've won. Boone's off the schedule this year and they have an impoved coaching staff. Everybody's undefeated at this point so a little optimism is good.

3 of your first 4 opponents are going to beat you like you stole something.  George Wythe and Union are also superior, and you play them away.  There’s 5 losses that are darn near a guarantee.  @John Battle, Marion, Central, and Sullivan South are toss-ups.  You have one games that ekes into the “should win” category, and that’s the game against Lee.

If your new hire can get 6 wins out of that schedule, he’s AA Coach of the Year in my book.  I think 3-4 is more likely.

So like everybody else...I'll start with the home team

1. I feel UNION will go 7-3 or 6-4 but SURPRISED if they go 8-2...But they will have great defense this year, And be battle-tested when playoffs come.

2. GRAHAM should go 9-1 or 10-0 but SURPRISED if they don't win 2A state

3. ABINGDON should win (Mt District) but SURPRISED if they do anything in 3A playoffs

4. Richlands should go 7-3 but SURPRISED if they beat UNION AT THE PARK THIS YEAR...Go BEARS!!!!

5. I feel Gate City, Central, Eastside will all be better this year then last year but SURPRISED if they are not!

But I hope all TEAMS In SWVA has a great year...

1 hour ago, UNION#ATW said:

So like everybody else...I'll start with the home team

1. I feel UNION will go 7-3 or 6-4 but SURPRISED if they go 8-2...But they will have great defense this year, And be battle-tested when playoffs come.

2. GRAHAM should go 9-1 or 10-0 but SURPRISED if they don't win 2A state

3. ABINGDON should win (Mt District) but SURPRISED if they do anything in 3A playoffs

4. Richlands should go 7-3 but SURPRISED if they beat UNION AT THE PARK THIS YEAR...Go BEARS!!!!

5. I feel Gate City, Central, Eastside will all be better this year then last year but SURPRISED if they are not!

But I hope all TEAMS In SWVA has a great year...

I will be surprised if Graham goes 10-0. Bluefield is loaded and ready. As much as I would love Graham.to win the Battle of the Bluefields, it be would be a surprise. Richlands may surprise Union but not likely. 

12 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

3 of your first 4 opponents are going to beat you like you stole something.  George Wythe and Union are also superior, and you play them away.  There’s 5 losses that are darn near a guarantee.  @John Battle, Marion, Central, and Sullivan South are toss-ups.  You have one games that ekes into the “should win” category, and that’s the game against Lee.

If your new hire can get 6 wins out of that schedule, he’s AA Coach of the Year in my book.  I think 3-4 is more likely.

My entire last sentence must've not came across as I intended.

12 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

There are many certainties in life such as death, taxes and the sun rising every day. But on this board the one certainty is UVAObserver  taking pot shots at anything Gate City, dude they must really have messed with you as a child or something because they live in your head rent free and have for a long time! Just remember until the last three or so years GC was (is) the bell cow of Southwest Virginia. I know plenty of therapist that can help you if you want help!

My surprise would be if graham wins state 2A this year! besides the Lester kid what do they have? skilled player wise? they lost 3 of the 5 starters on the oline as well. My boy sean martin at bluefield will anyone on that o-line be able to stop him?? NOPE cam allen is gone and not walking through that door. I see graham going 8-2 then losing after a good playoff run. no one will beat Radford in va 2A this year.

4 hours ago, footballfanatic said:

My surprise would be if graham wins state 2A this year! besides the Lester kid what do they have? skilled player wise? they lost 3 of the 5 starters on the oline as well. My boy sean martin at bluefield will anyone on that o-line be able to stop him?? NOPE cam allen is gone and not walking through that door. I see graham going 8-2 then losing after a good playoff run. no one will beat Radford in va 2A this year.

No one really thought Radford was going to get beat last year. I'm not saying Graham wins state but I'm not automatically handing it to Radford either. Radford will be phenomenal, no doubt but they have to get by Appomattox first. Graham's got more than Lester going for them. I'm no expert but I'd say their DL will be pretty strong.which may be a surprise to a brand new board member such as yourself.