Season surprises??

Hokie777

58 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

No one really thought Radford was going to get beat last year. I'm not saying Graham wins state but I'm not automatically handing it to Radford either. Radford will be phenomenal, no doubt. Graham's got more than Lester going for them. I'm no expert but I'd say their DL will be pretty strong.which may be a surprise to a brand new board member such as yourself. 

Guess since I’m new I don’t know what I’m taking about! Ok I’m still waiting on you to tell me who they have other than Lester! Who’s the d line? LB’s are gonna be good but need more than that! Radford has all their talent returning  so don’t hate

14 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I will be surprised if Graham goes 10-0. Bluefield is loaded and ready. As much as I would love Graham.to win the Battle of the Bluefields, it be would be a surprise. Richlands may surprise Union but not likely. 

I think Bluefield wins and it won’t be particularly close...

45 minutes ago, footballfanatic said:

Guess since I’m new I don’t know what I’m taking about! Ok I’m still waiting on you to tell me who they have other than Lester! Who’s the d line? LB’s are gonna be good but need more than that! Radford has all their talent returning  so don’t hate

Standouts for Graham will be:

Devin Lester- (QB / DB) :  D-1 offers

Brody Meadows (OL) - D-1 offers as a freshman (1st team all -American Freshman team last season).

Aaron Edwards:  1st team all state LB (interest growing, including D-1)

Nick Kastner:  1st team all state LB (several D-1 schools showing interest)

Marcus Ray:  WR/ DB:  Very athletic, very fast WR / DB.  Can also be a change of pace RB

Tre Booker:  RB / DE:  Very powerful / bruising RB (6 ft. 220 lbs) - if he can't run around you, he will run over you.

Juvante Reed:  RB / DL:  another powerful RB (250 lbs) also plays on DL.

Xayvion Turner:  RB:  Very fast and athletic, but a bit small (150 lbs).  

Isaiah Justice:  WR:   Tall, lanky, athletic wide receiver with very good hands

Joey Dales:  Kicker / WR:  Very solid kicking game and a nice 3rd option at WR.

Isaac Dalton:  LB - Most likely the 3rd LB (when they are using 3 LBs and to spell the others) along with Edwards and Kastner  (very solid and hard nosed.

Landon Atkins:  DL / LB:  Very hard nosed agressive player.

Peyton Kiser:  DE:  Developed into a very solid player on defense last season.

Kayin Carson:  OL 

That's just off the top of my head... I'm sure thee will be a couple younger kids step up.

Hope that helps.

If you think that Lester is all that Graham has this season, you are in for a rude awakening.

Also, I believe Graham was up 57-0 in the playoffs over Radford before the subs went in, "so don't hate".

8 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Standouts for Graham will be:

Devin Lester- (QB / DB) :  D-1 offers

Brody Meadows (OL) - D-1 offers as a freshman (1st team all -American Freshman team last season).

Aaron Edwards:  1st team all state LB (interest growing, including D-1)

Nick Kastner:  1st team all state LB (several D-1 schools showing interest)

Marcus Ray:  WR/ DB:  Very athletic, very fast WR / DB.  Can also be a change of pace RB

Tre Booker:  RB / DE:  Very powerful / bruising RB (6 ft. 220 lbs) - if he can't run around you, he will run over you.

Juvante Reed:  RB / DL:  another powerful RB (250 lbs) also plays on DL.

Xayvion Turner:  RB:  Very fast and athletic, but a bit small (150 lbs).  

Isaiah Justice:  WR:   Tall, lanky, athletic wide receiver with very good hands

Joey Dales:  Kicker / WR:  Very solid kicking game and a nice 3rd option at WR.

Isaac Dalton:  LB - Most likely the 3rd LB along with Edwards and Kastner (very solid and hard nosed.

Landon Atkins:  DL / LB:  Very hard nosed agressive player.

Peyton Kiser:  DE:  Developed into a very solid player on defense last season.

That's just off the top of my head... I'm sure there will be a couple younger kids step up.

Hope that helps.

If you think that Lester is all that Graham has this season, you are in for a rude awakening.

Also, I believe Graham was up 57-0 in the playoffs over Radford before the subs went in, "so don't hate".

Still the only one i see worthy of a D1 is Lester! Meadows is only getting interest because of his size! Martin will eat his lunch! Kastner and Edwards good lb’s the rest are window dressing! Average at best! Booker slow and can’t hold on to the ball. Dude you are a dreamer! Hold on to it tight 

1 minute ago, footballfanatic said:

Still the only one i see worthy of a D1 is Lester! Meadows is only getting interest because of his size! Martin will eat his lunch! Kastner and Edwards good lb’s the rest are window dressing! Average at best! Booker slow and can’t hold on to the ball. Dude you are a dreamer! Hold on to it tight 

57-0 before subs is all I have to say.  I'm sure Radford will be a very good team, but to dismiss Graham this year is insane.  Good luck, would love to see these 2 play.  Why throw shade on Graham's players?  That wasn't very nice.  Try to keep it classy.  You asked, I just told you who the standouts were. 

1 hour ago, footballfanatic said:

It’s OK, everyone is wrong sometimes.

In Radford’s defense , they moved the ball well early on Graham but fumbled the ball away . Once on a nice run on Prioleau. Graham has way more talent than most of the teams they play , especially at the skill positions. But the right game plan executed by a mentally and physically tough team could beat them. You never know what will happen. I don’t think it’s a guarantee that Bluefield will beat them , Bluefield lost a large group of seniors. They’re transitioning themselves. But teams like Richlands, Union and even Tazewell could pull the upset if they protect the ball and bring some toughness. Games aren’t won during 7 on 7’s. A great defensive game plan with kids that play their area of the field , don’t over pursue , tackle well and rip at the ball can beat talent any day

Graham's in pretty good shape as a program if the discussion is whether or not they win the title.  That's a pretty good place to be. 

Also, I'm hearing Isaac is going to start on the offensive line.  I believe Graham is going to be very, very good from tackle to tackle, but they will have little depth and will need to stay healthy, even though they lost 3 of 5 on the OL, they are going to be nearly as good.  At WR, I think they are better, even with Lester moving to QB.  Turner is going to be deadly, even at 150 lbs, he's going to cause problems.  Justice is a freakish athlete and Dales doesn't drop passes.  The WR's are going to be very good and the QB will be equally as good at the position of QB compared to Cam in my opinion.  Cam was solid, but Lester is actually more accurate with the pass.  On the OL, don't be surprised if Ray gets much more touches out of the backfield, and don't be surprised if Reed is starting at guard.  Reed, Booker and Ray are all capable and good at RB, but only 1 kid can get the ball, and with Graham having little depth on the OL,  Reed and sometimes, even Booker, will be playing up front on offense.  Same for Kastner and Edwards on the offensive side.  Graham's offensive line is going to be an offensive line with lots of guys rotating, even from linebacker to guard or center, or from RB one play to guard the next play.  Graham will have about 7-8 playing from tackle to tackle at some point or another.  

I think Graham and Bluefield is going to be a close game.  Graham has to many athletes and to good of a defense to be blown out or even beat by 17-20 points.  The feel coming into the game I think by many is the question, "how well will Graham's offensive line do against Bluefield's defense."  I personally feel that an equal question is, "how is Bluefield's offensive line going to block Grahams front 7."  I think Graham gets pressure and we find a Bluefield offensive line having trouble keeping Graham's front 7 from blowing up plays.  

39 minutes ago, Eersfan said:

In Radford’s defense , they moved the ball well early on Graham but fumbled the ball away . Once on a nice run on Prioleau. Graham has way more talent than most of the teams they play , especially at the skill positions. But the right game plan executed by a mentally and physically tough team could beat them. You never know what will happen. I don’t think it’s a guarantee that Bluefield will beat them , Bluefield lost a large group of seniors. They’re transitioning themselves. But teams like Richlands, Union and even Tazewell could pull the upset if they protect the ball and bring some toughness. Games aren’t won during 7 on 7’s. A great defensive game plan with kids that play their area of the field , don’t over pursue , tackle well and rip at the ball can beat talent any day

Not to contradict you but one or two first downs in the first half is not really moving the ball well. 

First downs don’t mean much when you cough up the ball at the end of the play. Radford was young and overrated.  Appomattox played their usual 2 quarters of football and Radford snuck past them. They had a young QB with a weak arm and not the best feet. How much better are they gonna be? Is there any teams in Southwest Va that can stretch the field other than Graham with their speed. Prioleau was the only back on their schedule with decent speed but he was all Radford had.

8 minutes ago, Eersfan said:

First downs don’t mean much when you cough up the ball at the end of the play. Radford was young and overrated.  Appomattox played their usual 2 quarters of football and Radford snuck past them. They had a young QB with a weak arm and not the best feet. How much better are they gonna be? Is there any teams in Southwest Va that can stretch the field other than Graham with their speed. Prioleau was the only back on their schedule with decent speed but he was all Radford had.

First downs don't mean much when you cannot get them. The hard hitting of Graham's defense was most responsible for coughing the ball up.  Radford will have a much more difficult time as other posters have commented with Appomattox this year. As you eluded, Appomattox should have beat them last year. 

3 hours ago, footballfanatic said:

Here's a nice article about the GMen. 

https://gridironscouting.com/2019/07/21/national-spotlight-quest-for-back-to-back-state-titles-fuels-g-men/?fbclid=IwAR3yZwDTLIlLaXaWf-1EmMa63moyfz-9HCSnTIf72fyy5S_yD1GnSoUhROE

1 hour ago, FootballFan67 said:

still doesn't mean they are going to win state again. like i said they will lose to beaver nation by 20 then win out and lose in the playoffs. union may present a challenge as a second loss but not sure what they have. If lester gets hurt for any amount of time "i dont wish injury on anyone" but this is football and these things occur, you will not win a game he is not your QB.

1 hour ago, footballfanatic said:

still doesn't mean they are going to win state again. like i said they will lose to beaver nation by 20 then win out and lose in the playoffs. union may present a challenge as a second loss but not sure what they have. If lester gets hurt for any amount of time "i dont wish injury on anyone" but this is football and these things occur, you will not win a game he is not your QB.

I never said they would win state again.  I only shared the article because I saw it posted on Virginia Preps. Personally, every defending state champion regardless of the sport or division should be aiming to repeat.  I hope none of the teams have injuries and all the players stay healthy, I would not want anyone to suffer an injury that prevents him from playing.  I agree Union will be a tough opponent as will Bluefield for the GMen.

3 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Appo will be good enough to win it this year as will Graham and Radford. But I think I'm making the call now, in the year of 2020, it's 2016 all over again for Appo. They are going to be dominate.

Yes.  Their 2020 team has the potential to be the best AA team this side of 1974 Gate City.  That’s their ceiling.  Their floor is probably a close win in the state title game.

The good thing about all of it is that every team is undefeated before the season begins.  High school football is so unpredictable, everything has influence on the game of the week.  QB and his girlfriend break up right before the game, head not in the game, could change a lot; the almighty flu bug strikes the entire offensive line, no blocking tonight; bad grades and grouchy teachers, just don't feel like playing; I'm pissed at the coach, I'll show him just how bad I can be.  Too many variables to predict, but Graham is going to be very hard to beat, but Bluefield is back to being Bluefield and I think they win by two TD's.  Radford will be strong, but beatable.  Appo is always Appo. You never can overlook Union or Richlands, their history is hard to overlook.

10 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Agree but they will still be talented...lucky for Radford he took a job 10 miles away instead of one where they would have had to move

Lots of teams have talent on the field.  Not very many have talent on the sidelines to direct the talent on the field.  I'm not sure Radford has the talent to get past Glenvar without a boost from the coaching staff.  The same coaching staff that took a big hit when Proileau Sr. left for Blacksburg.  Glenvar also has loads of talent returning!  Can Radford get past Glenvar with a healthy Brady Loader?

11 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

They'll have a much better Appomattox to beat this year IMO.

If they get far enough into November/December to meet Appomattox. 

Radford is going to be outstanding and maybe considered a favorite over Appo. Time will tell, but Radford returns 5 players that made either first or second team all state. One poster mentioned Prioleau was all they had. PJ Prioleau may have a higher ceiling by his senior year and will gather some D1 offers, but he was the third best player on their offense behind Justice Marshall, the other RB who was solid.

The first best on their offense and returning, is Ben Cox, a Vanderbilt OL commit and other Div 1 offers on the table for him. Radford also picks up Green from Giles. Their offensive line is going to be the best in 2A Virginia. I listened to Appo vs Radford on Radford's broadcast and Appo turned over and left some points on the table, but in the second half, Radford started to gash them on the ground and was picking up 7-12 yards bursts straight off tackle. Graham jumped on em so fast their was just no chance at coming back as Radford is all run, or screen, but little down field passing. The QB was a just a sophomore, but he is 6'3 and smart, and he will be much improved.

I heard Glenvar lost a bunch up front, but we will know more quick as Glenvar may open up with the 1A state title game teams in Galax first, and they then play Riverheads (of which Casto did not retire) and they return Coach Casto last I heard.

13 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Radford is going to be outstanding and maybe considered a favorite over Appo. Time will tell, but Radford returns 5 players that made either first or second team all state. One poster mentioned Prioleau was all they had. PJ Prioleau may have a higher ceiling by his senior year and will gather some D1 offers, but he was the third best player on their offense behind Justice Marshall, the other RB who was solid.

The first best on their offense and returning, is Ben Cox, a Vanderbilt OL commit and other Div 1 offers on the table for him. Radford also picks up Green from Giles. Their offensive line is going to be the best in 2A Virginia. I listened to Appo vs Radford on Radford's broadcast and Appo turned over and left some points on the table, but in the second half, Radford started to gash them on the ground and was picking up 7-12 yards bursts straight off tackle. Graham jumped on em so fast their was just no chance at coming back as Radford is all run, or screen, but little down field passing. The QB was a just a sophomore, but he is 6'3 and smart, and he will be much improved.

I heard Glenvar lost a bunch up front, but we will know more quick as Glenvar may open up with the 1A state title game teams in Galax first, and they then play Riverheads (of which Casto did not retire) and they return Coach Casto last I heard.

Glenvar lost Maxx Philpot and Landry Gerbers to graduation.  The rest of the line (both offensive and defensive) returns with another year of eligibility after this season.  The loss of Gerbers may seem like a hurdle but they return a sophomore back-up that was 6'-3" tall and 230 pounds.  He's going to be very, very good!  They also return Brady Loader who was arguably the best player in the Three Rivers District last season before getting hurt.  Radford never had to face Glenvar with Loader.