Season surprises??

Hokie777

13 hours ago, Hokie1Pokie said:

Radford is going to be outstanding and maybe considered a favorite over Appo. Time will tell, but Radford returns 5 players that made either first or second team all state. One poster mentioned Prioleau was all they had. PJ Prioleau may have a higher ceiling by his senior year and will gather some D1 offers, but he was the third best player on their offense behind Justice Marshall, the other RB who was solid.

The first best on their offense and returning, is Ben Cox, a Vanderbilt OL commit and other Div 1 offers on the table for him. Radford also picks up Green from Giles. Their offensive line is going to be the best in 2A Virginia. I listened to Appo vs Radford on Radford's broadcast and Appo turned over and left some points on the table, but in the second half, Radford started to gash them on the ground and was picking up 7-12 yards bursts straight off tackle. Graham jumped on em so fast their was just no chance at coming back as Radford is all run, or screen, but little down field passing. The QB was a just a sophomore, but he is 6'3 and smart, and he will be much improved.

I heard Glenvar lost a bunch up front, but we will know more quick as Glenvar may open up with the 1A state title game teams in Galax first, and they then play Riverheads (of which Casto did not retire) and they return Coach Casto last I heard.

12 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

PJ was and is still their best player period IMO....and the green addition may look good on paper but let me know what you think about his on field performance half way through the season

Gonna say without a doubt PJ was and is the best player at Radford. Marshall is as tough as they come but not the football player PJ is, and as for Green it will be up to the coaching staff to change and approve is work habits and I hope they do cause the kid COULD be a game changer. Radford's coaching staff will be just fine with the changes that have taken place, being a great player doesn't always make a great coach.

9 minutes ago, RCITYHOO said:

Gonna say without a doubt PJ was and is the best player at Radford. Marshall is as tough as they come but not the football player PJ is, and as for Green it will be up to the coaching staff to change and approve is work habits and I hope they do cause the kid COULD be a game changer. Radford's coaching staff will be just fine with the changes that have taken place, being a great player doesn't always make a great coach.

I agree completely about PJ but not about his father.  I'm sure the coaching staff is fine with Pierson leaving but I was told, that's more driven by ego than common sense.  I will leave it at that!

I watched the Radford/Graham game lasts season, Graham looked like the 2A champs and Radford looked like a very good(semifinalist) 1A team. Graham was MUCH bigger all around and the more physical team. Prioleau was Radfords most talented player imo but he looked and played like a Sophomore (thin, nervous/unsure) and the physicality of the game was just too much for him.  Radford looked good but also looked like they were a year away. 

Radford should be better, Graham lost some pieces but had an abundance of talent last season and much if not most of it is still there. Id like to see the rematch(if it happens).

2 hours ago, redtiger said:

I watched the Radford/Graham game lasts season, Graham looked like the 2A champs and Radford looked like a very good(semifinalist) 1A team. Graham was MUCH bigger all around and the more physical team. Prioleau was Radfords most talented player imo but he looked and played like a Sophomore (thin, nervous/unsure) and the physicality of the game was just too much for him.  Radford looked good but also looked like they were a year away. 

Radford should be better, Graham lost some pieces but had an abundance of talent last season and much if not most of it is still there. Id like to see the rematch(if it happens).

I believe Graham has 8 of their defensive line returning this year. With what Rex Bradshaw and Dennis Palmer did with the defense last year, I foresee the defense being just as stingy this year with the offensives they face. Prioleau is the best player Radford has IMO. Graham just had his number last year. He'll be better this year I'm sure but so will Graham's defense I would think. 

On 7/23/2019 at 12:57 AM, UNION#ATW said:

2. GRAHAM should go 9-1 or 10-0 but SURPRISED if they don't win 2A state

I'll be surprised if Graham is as good as everyone else thinks they are going to be.  They lost a LOT from last season...going to be very difficult to repeat as State Champs, or even go 9-1 in the regular season.

Honest guess...7-3 during the regular season and knocked out in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

On 7/23/2019 at 11:27 PM, UVAObserver said:

Yes.  Their 2020 team has the potential to be the best AA team this side of 1974 Gate City.  That’s their ceiling.  Their floor is probably a close win in the state title game.

The ceiling is the roof...

1 hour ago, GMan said:

I'll be surprised if Graham is as good as everyone else thinks they are going to be.  They lost a LOT from last season...going to be very difficult to repeat as State Champs, or even go 9-1 in the regular season.

Honest guess...7-3 during the regular season and knocked out in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Knocked out by whom?

I would still perceive them to be better than anyone in the M7, as bad as I hate to say it.  That just leaves Richlands. (Maybe Tazewell?)

4 hours ago, GMan said:

Just curious...Bluefield , Richlands, & Union the three you're thinking???? 

9 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

Northwood has the dream season, makes a run at state, gets Galax in the semis, and in a moment of irony, a sinkhole opens in the field causing the game to be relocated to... Chilhowie...

Galax wins 72-8.

That would be a dream turned into a NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not the part about losing 72-8

5 hours ago, GMan said:

3 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Knocked out by whom?

I would still perceive them to be better than anyone in the M7, as bad as I hate to say it.  That just leaves Richlands. (Maybe Tazewell?)

10 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Just curious...Bluefield , Richlands, & Union the three you're thinking???? 

Bluefield might be Grahams only loss.  The G-Men are going to be really good again this season.

I disagree.  Bluefield most likely the only loss for Graham (unless the Graham defense shows up in the first half this year.) then its a toss up.  No way Graham loses 3 with what they have coming back.  It would be a shock if they lose 2 in regular season.  

1 hour ago, Tigers_07 said:

I'll be surprised if Honaker goes 7-3 or 8-2 with losses coming from Ridgeview (for sure), and either Patrick Henry, Grundy or Burton. but i believe 6-4 is where honaker will finish. 

Honaker should win the BDD this season. Grundy graduated their biggest playmakers and I'm not sure if they can fill those shoes from last season. Grundy is a 4-6 or 5-5 team at the most.

Am a UNION fan...We would have to play a perfect game, And GRAHAM would have to make some mental mistakes for UNION to pull out a win at their house...

Does anyone know anything about Paintsville KY football program?

1 hour ago, UNION#ATW said:

Am a UNION fan...We would have to play a perfect game, And GRAHAM would have to make some mental mistakes for UNION to pull out a win at their house...

Paintsville is usually pretty solid. It's a good test for Union.

On 7/25/2019 at 2:18 PM, Gridiron60 said:

I believe Graham has 8 of their defensive line returning this year. With what Rex Bradshaw and Dennis Palmer did with the defense last year, I foresee the defense being just as stingy this year with the offensives they face. Prioleau is the best player Radford has IMO. Graham just had his number last year. He'll be better this year I'm sure but so will Graham's defense I would think. 

are they playing an 8 man front?? lol

4 hours ago, UNION#ATW said:

4 hours ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Paintsville is usually pretty solid. It's a good test for Union.

Agree. Paintsville is a small school, but churn out good players and good teams year after year. From 2014-2018, they have a regular season record of 45-5 and made it to at least the 3rd round of the playoffs each year over that span, 4th round in 2 seasons.

They will be a challenge. 

1 hour ago, footballfanatic said:

are they playing an 8 man front?? lol

Let me rephrase, they have 8 players from their starting defense returning. For some opponents last year, they probably felt like they got pounded by an 8 man line. 

There's one in every bunch and you seem to be our one on this thread. 🏆

6 hours ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Honaker should win the BDD this season. Grundy graduated their biggest playmakers and I'm not sure if they can fill those shoes from last season. Grundy is a 4-6 or 5-5 team at the most.

Hurley takes down Honaker week 6 it is I believe you heard it here first