Season surprises??

Hokie777

17 hours ago, UNION#ATW said:

Am a UNION fan...We would have to play a perfect game, And GRAHAM would have to make some mental mistakes for UNION to pull out a win at their house...

Does anyone know anything about Paintsville KY football program?

Paintsville is the 2nd best team on your schedule.

On 7/27/2019 at 10:26 AM, Bluefield researcher said:

Paintsville is the 2nd best team on your schedule.

Yes, Paintsville is tough.  Ridgeview found that out the first two seasons.

It is either Paintsville or Pikeville (who Ridgeview plays this year and next) or Raceland which seem to make the 1A title game in Lexington from the eastern side every season.

Also a true fact... as stout as Paintsville is, they're usually not even the best high school team in their own town, that honor belongs to Johnson Central (5A).

I think a lot of people are sleeping on Grayson County.  They did lose their two best players from last season but that was the case following the 2017 season as well.  They were able to find a way to win 8 football games last season when most people wrote them off after losing McPherson and Phillips to graduation.  That's after winning 7 games in 2017 and beating Ridgeview in the Class 2 playoffs.  They will recover from Hollandsworth and Cassell graduating as well. 

Grayson has a lot of returning size and talent for 2019 albeit, they may be young in spots.  But that can be said for every Class 1 school in Virginia.  Given their schedule, the last two weeks of the regular season against George Wythe and Galax are the only two games you could make an argument they would be a decided underdog.  They should be favored against Alleghany NC, Rural Retreat, Bland, Auburn and West Wilkes NC.  The remaining games against Carroll, Marion and Fort Chiswell seem like toss-ups at this point.  I can see a scenario where they win two of those three and finish 7-3.  

Now that I have put the jinx on them, they will go 3-7 and I will need a little rice to go with my crow!

On 7/29/2019 at 10:12 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

Also a true fact... as stout as Paintsville is, they're usually not even the best high school team in their own town, that honor belongs to Johnson Central (5A).

JC is 4A in KY.

7 minutes ago, GloboGymCobras said:

Did wise centrals QB decide not to play anymore? Read the KTN article and it sounded like he’s not playing football only basketball 

That could be a big blow for a dark horse team. 

3 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

That could be a big blow for a dark horse team. 

Yes it would. Maybe somebody that knows will be able to provide some knowledge I know he got hurt last year and the back up wasn’t too bad but he seemed to be the leader and a well rounded QB 

1 hour ago, GloboGymCobras said:

Did wise centrals QB decide not to play anymore? Read the KTN article and it sounded like he’s not playing football only basketball 

Do you have a link i could not find the article

20 hours ago, GloboGymCobras said:

It would be a smart choice since that's where his future is.  He took some licks at Ridgeview last year that were very uncomfortable to watch.

25 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

It would be a smart choice since that's where his future is.  He took some licks at Ridgeview last year that were very uncomfortable to watch.

Jake Watters, QB from Bland County made same choice, sat out football his senior year last year for same reasons. He's at WVU this upcoming year playing baseball. As much as we all want best athletes and players to stick with football, we can't begrudge them for looking out for themselves when another sport will afford them the opportunity to continue to play and get financial help when going to college. Hopefully, someone else can step up at QB position for WC. 

4 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Jake Watters, QB from Bland County made same choice, sat out football his senior year last year for same reasons. He's at WVU this upcoming year playing baseball. As much as we all want best athletes and players to stick with football, we can't begrudge them for looking out for themselves when another sport will afford them the opportunity to continue to play and get financial help when going to college. Hopefully, someone else can step up at QB position for WC. 

Don’t blame either of them. Good choices

23 minutes ago, Michael_389 said:

Season Surprises. You give me a score!! Sir

Difficult to predict a score.  Union may get tired of scoring.  Union may have their sense of mercy overtake their scoring.  Union’s defense could be determined to pitch a shutout.  Many different variables at play.

That being said, this one won’t be altogether close.

43 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Difficult to predict a score.  Union may get tired of scoring.  Union may have their sense of mercy overtake their scoring.  Union’s defense could be determined to pitch a shutout.  Many different variables at play.

Burton opens up at Ridgeview to start 2019 I believe instead of Union.

56 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Burton opens up at Ridgeview to start 2019 I believe instead of Union.

Ridgeview At Norton. Then again who knows if Burton will have a team by then. Hate it for the kids.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Wish it was Union instead of Ridgeview!!