How is Richlands looking and what is everyone’s thoughts on them this year?

Bulldog05

5 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I definitely wasnt trying to slight Richlands.  I honestly looked at the schedule wrong, thought GC was a scrimmage, had a brain lapse, I was justbstating worst case scenario.  Should have followed up by saying not likely, but "possible".  Also no offense to any other teams, but I do believe Bluefield, Graham and Radford will be on that "next level" up from most of the area teams and it will be a difficult task to stay in the ball game with those teams this year.

And a young giles team plays all 3 if those teams UGH....1 in a benefit game and 2 of them where the games count

Thoughts from last nights jamboree with Belfry and GW. 

George Wythe and Richlands played 2 sets of 10 plays with the first string. A lot of teams will have trouble stopping the GW QB runs. He’s shifty and impressive. 

Richlands split the reps between QBs in each series with both teams. 

First team D gave up 3 TD in 40 plays against both schools. Two of those came from miscommunication and the other was a GW drive that featured the QB getting out of trouble and scrambling nicely. 

Belfry had the 1 40 yard TD, but after that they managed just 19 yards on 18 plays. Richlands had 4 fumbles caused and at least 10 TFL in those 18 plays. Really impressed with how the D looked and especially against Belfry. 

As for offense, the potential is there. Simmons has better legs and brings in the read option into the playbook. Cox has a more powerful arm. Both of them struggled with accuracy when throwing. Simmons looked like someone who hasn’t played in several years. Wasn’t looking to run after the first read a lot. Cox had Webb wide open multiple times and Judy overthrew him. 

Line looked good in pass protection for the most part. Need to gel and get better on run blocking. I think Steele will be an okay RB once the line gets in the groove. 

I still didn’t see anything that makes me think anything less than 7-3. 

Looking forward to the benefit with Grundy on Thursday. 

On 8/16/2019 at 9:52 AM, local_insight said:

I'm gonna say they will be 3-1 with a lost to just Bluefield the first 4 games. Regular season will be 8-2. Richlands has much more size than in the past years. Has a good recieving core, 2 good running backs, one big back in steel and one quick back that's still young in newberry. Returning the entire line play and most of the entire secondary. Including a few new faces recently. Things are getting better. Last years 8th grade class will run the table in a few years. 

was the 8th grade class the jv team yesterday?? all in blue

3 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Thoughts from last nights jamboree with Belfry and GW. 

George Wythe and Richlands played 2 sets of 10 plays with the first string. A lot of teams will have trouble stopping the GW QB runs. He’s shifty and impressive. 

Richlands split the reps between QBs in each series with both teams. 

First team D gave up 3 TD in 40 plays against both schools. Two of those came from miscommunication and the other was a GW drive that featured the QB getting out of trouble and scrambling nicely. 

Belfry had the 1 40 yard TD, but after that they managed just 19 yards on 18 plays. Richlands had 4 fumbles caused and at least 10 TFL in those 18 plays. Really impressed with how the D looked and especially against Belfry. 

As for offense, the potential is there. Simmons has better legs and brings in the read option into the playbook. Cox has a more powerful arm. Both of them struggled with accuracy when throwing. Simmons looked like someone who hasn’t played in several years. Wasn’t looking to run after the first read a lot. Cox had Webb wide open multiple times and Judy overthrew him. 

Line looked good in pass protection for the most part. Need to gel and get better on run blocking. I think Steele will be an okay RB once the line gets in the groove. 

I still didn’t see anything that makes me think anything less than 7-3. 

Looking forward to the benefit with Grundy on Thursday. 

Agree, Richlands should go no less than 7-3. They were solid yesterday. Anxious to see how QB situation shakes out. 

1 hour ago, local_insight said:

I wasnt there so I couldn't tell you. A lot of the freshmen are on varsity though. 

with 85 players out there how many 9th are on varsity. but all i know is the gw jv handled the richland jv fairly easy

53 minutes ago, footballfanatic said:

with 85 players out there how many 9th are on varsity. but all i know is the gw jv handled the richland jv fairly easy

I thought a much smaller GW varsity handled Richlands varsity somewhat alright. Maroons QB has some good speed and can take off when he finds an opening which he did some of yesterday. 

From what I seen I am still not sure I seen a complete 1st string offense or defense for Richlands against either team.  At one point you had Richlands defense and GW on one side of the field and a Richlands offense and Belfry on the other end, all white shirts?  The D is going to have some special players fun to watch. Offense, shoot just throw 2 and 14 in the backfield every now and then.  Wildcat to 2 and let him throw, confuse some people, lol. Increase the variables for the spread.