Bland Cancels Season

Ryan4VT

19 minutes ago, Old Soul said:

Maybe our boys can just drive on down the creek and lace up with them Green Waves? Hear they need a few more players. Get them ADs a talking and work something out!

Doesnt't work that way.  As far as I know, it would require the player to transfer to Narrows in order for that to happen.   The only time I can remember a situation like that being attempted before was with Bath Co. trying to work out something for the kids from Highland Co. High to come down and play for them in football.  Don't remember the specifics about that case though but pretty sure it was something that was worked out months in advance because there was enough interest in Highland to try and make it work.

15 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Doesnt't work that way.  As far as I know, it would require the player to transfer to Narrows in order for that to happen.   The only time I can remember a situation like that being attempted before was with Bath Co. trying to work out something for the kids from Highland Co. High to come down and play for them in football.  Don't remember the specifics about that case though but pretty sure it was something that was worked out months in advance because there was enough interest in Highland to try and make it work.

How many players do the wave have our this year?

6 hours ago, footballfanatic said:

I talked to the parents of a football player who said they really didn't like playing for their coach. They weren't happy with the play calling and that he only ran like 5 different plays per game and he was unwilling to change after 15+ seasons.

If a kid's heart is in football and they truly love the sport, they'll play regardless of the coach in my opinion; others may disagree. I know a player that graduated last year who said that he may not have always agreed with Coach Hart (what player does 100% of the time with their coach) but he'd play rather than not having a team. Some boys still in high school didn't feel the same I suppose. I guess the moral of the post, there's always more than one side to the gossip. 

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

If a kid's heart is in football and they truly love the sport, they'll play regardless of the coach in my opinion; others may disagree. I know a player that graduated last year who said that he may not have always agreed with Coach Hart (what player does 100% of the time with their coach) but he'd play rather than not having a team. Some boys still in high school didn't feel the same I suppose. I guess the moral of the post, there's always more than one side to the gossip. 

Many a coach have ruined high school programs because they are totally inept at motivating kids to come out and play.  (Some are inept at managing a team and other coaches - I wouldn't be able to handle it either).   I always heard good things about Hart, so not saying this is the case with Bland.  However, I know of other coaches who are total pricks to the kids and are more concerned about being in charge than reaching out to kids and trying to motivate them and show that they actually care about them as an individual and want them to succeed.  I know- have known too many coaches like that.  The best programs create a family atmosphere where the kids and coaches support each other and can also have fun.  If a kid doesn't enjoy playing, there are a million other things for them to do.  I agree that some kids will play regardless of the coach, but a whole heck of a lot of them don't want to have some middle aged man screaming and criticizing them.  A kid can tell if you really care or not in a heartbeat and they will give a lot more effort to a coach who's heart is in it too.  In Bland's case, I think it's a numbers game, very small school, little leagues aren't producing players.  It's got to be tough and was just a matter of time.

11 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Many a coach have ruined high school programs because they are totally inept at motivating kids to come out and play.  (Some are inept at managing a team and other coaches - I wouldn't be able to handle it either).   I always heard good things about Hart, so not saying this is the case with Bland.  However, I know of other coaches who are total pricks to the kids and are more concerned about being in charge than reaching out to kids and trying to motivate them and show that they actually care about them as an individual and want them to succeed.  I know- have known too many coaches like that.  The best programs create a family atmosphere where the kids and coaches support each other and can also have fun.  If a kid doesn't enjoy playing, there are a million other things for them to do.  I agree that some kids will play regardless of the coach, but a whole heck of a lot of them don't want to have some middle aged man screaming and criticizing them.  A kid can tell if you really care or not in a heartbeat and they will give a lot more effort to a coach who's heart is in it too.  In Bland's case, I think it's a numbers game, very small school, little leagues aren't producing players.  It's got to be tough and was just a matter of time.

Bland only has 120 boys in grades 9-12.  When you take into account at least 1/3 of those participate in band, cross country, work, etc.  That doesn't leave a big pool to pull from really.  There are a lot of boys who play other sports but not football.  Football isn't for everyone.  I truly do not think we can point to one definitive thing.  What's happened is a result of many contributing factors and people trying to pin the entire blame on the coach are wrong.  A numbers game is definitely one of the main contributors but there are always those who like to stir the pot.

6 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

No rules against it.

I get that there are no rules against it. However, the games would only be a month apart and Bland was our last home game of the season and also Senior Night. I’m not sure how they will handle that, if they would schedule Senior night the week before against Graham and schedule an away game on 11/8 or if they’d want to keep it at home. 

36 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Still two months away. No big deal yet. If it were two weeks away now that would be an issue.

It sounds like a good plan and all. But the 2 games before and 2 games after homecoming are away games. Their best bet would be to find someone open on 11/8 that can come to the Fort. 

Throughout most of the 1980s, Tabb, Bruton, Gloucester, York, and Poqouson all played each other two times per regular season. This means, a team like Tabb played only 6 teams in the ten game regular season, with 4 of the 6 teams being played twice. Playing a team twice has precedence for decades. With Blands cancellation, the 10 teams that had them on the schedule may need to make some adjustments with their bye weeks, but most of those ten should be able to pick up another game, even if it means playing a team twice. This would be more likely for teams in Blands district.