GW, will they add a 10th game?

footballfanatic

5 hours ago, GMan said:

According to Google Maps...the shortest, fastest way...

GW-TV  3:17 164 miles

HHS-AHS  2:47  148 miles

JRHS-CCHS  1:40  98 miles

Bluefield High School to Wheeling Island Stadium  4:21 285 miles...went ahead and put this here since they go so often...plus you have to go through either Ohio or Pennsylvania to get there.

Though the mileage of Hurley-Auburn is similar, it’s not driven over backwater roads and is substantially quicker.  And comparing Grundy-Carroll County to either of those is silly.  The unequivocal travel time was precisely the point my Dickenson County friend made, and it was foolish for Captain Angelfire to belittle the point.

Also, having a state title game in Wheeling is idiotic.  The end.

11 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Though the mileage of Hurley-Auburn is similar, it’s not driven over backwater roads and is substantially quicker.  And comparing Grundy-Carroll County to either of those is silly.  The unequivocal travel time was precisely the point my Dickenson County friend made, and it was foolish for Captain Angelfire to belittle the point.

Ahhh... looks like someone actually BELIEVES Google maps!!!!!!!!

ROTFLMAO !!!!!!!

While I agree with 3:15 for Tug going thru Pikeville & Grundy to Wythevile, 2:46 from Hurley to Auburn?!?!?!?!?  TOTAL JOKE !!!! 
Grundy to Auburn I'd believe, but Hurley - try 3:15.

And the roads are about the same.  Don't know how it is from TVHS to W'son, but then some 2-lane 460 from below Pikeville to Grundy isn't all that bad.

Guess some ppl. have never been to Hurley.

And, yeah, I shoulda used Grundy to Gate City - Lord knows HOW many years THAT happened 5 times a year.

Bottom line, per custom, you got snotty with someone with whom you disagreed.  However, this time, you were wrong and came across poorly by using two examples that make his point for him (one of which very clearly so).  Instead of exercising humility in accepting an error, you continue to paddle your boat against the current.  C’est la vie.  Not the first, certainly won’t be the last.

13 hours ago, VHSLhelper said:

Ahhh... looks like someone actually BELIEVES Google maps!!!!!!!!

ROTFLMAO !!!!!!!

While I agree with 3:15 for Tug going thru Pikeville & Grundy to Wythevile, 2:46 from Hurley to Auburn?!?!?!?!?  TOTAL JOKE !!!! 
Grundy to Auburn I'd believe, but Hurley - try 3:15.

And the roads are about the same.  Don't know how it is from TVHS to W'son, but then some 2-lane 460 from below Pikeville to Grundy isn't all that bad.

Guess some ppl. have never been to Hurley.

And, yeah, I shoulda used Grundy to Gate City - Lord knows HOW many years THAT happened 5 times a year.

First, I don’t have a dog in this fight so, I’m not taking sides. Take this for whatever it’s worth. Second, Google Maps is accurate to the extent that I am able to legally use it in my profession. Which says an awful lot about it’s accuracy. Just saying!

I don't really care one way or the other either, but we need to look at this from the assumption they'll be traveling by school bus. I know a lot of districts have governors on their buses but, I am not sure at what rate(55 or 65) and the speed limit on 77 and 81 in VA is 70. Also, keep in mind that a bus does not handle like a passenger car. That's where the mountain roads will add more time too. 

FWIW, I will buy anyone a Frosty if they can make it from Hurley High School to Auburn High School in 2:47 driving a school bus. It takes every bit of an 1:20 in a car running the speed limit to get to 77 from Grundy(middle of town) after traffic lights and the bipolar speed limit changes on 460. And from that same spot in Grundy in a car, the best you can do to HHS is going to be around that 30 minutes if you don't get hung behind a slow poke, school bus, coal truck, side by side, or horse. Yeah, I've been stuck behind everyone of them at some point in time heading to Hurley. Sometimes a combination of the 5. Hurley's wild ya'll.

1 hour ago, chipinbogey said:

I don't really care one way or the other either, but we need to look at this from the assumption they'll be traveling by school bus. I know a lot of districts have governors on their buses but, I am not sure at what rate(55 or 65) and the speed limit on 77 and 81 in VA is 70. Also, keep in mind that a bus does not handle like a passenger car. That's where the mountain roads will add more time too. 

FWIW, I will buy anyone a Frosty if they can make it from Hurley High School to Auburn High School in 2:47 driving a school bus. It takes every bit of an 1:20 in a car running the speed limit to get to 77 from Grundy(middle of town) after traffic lights and the bipolar speed limit changes on 460. And from that same spot in Grundy in a car, the best you can do to HHS is going to be around that 30 minutes if you don't get hung behind a slow poke, school bus, coal truck, side by side, or horse. Yeah, I've been stuck behind everyone of them at some point in time heading to Hurley. Sometimes a combination of the 5. Hurley's wild ya'll.

Same principle applies when you consider the last 2/3 of the Max Meadows, VA - Williamson, WV circuit is on U.S. 52, which is enough to fry any school bus’s brakes.  You can’t come close to hitting 55 MPH around those curves in a Subaru Legacy, much less a school bus.