Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Trojans1980

Best Defense in the mountain district

Recommended Posts

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
On 8/10/2019 at 9:56 AM, Grapeape said:

*Hot Take: Abingdon has the best RB in the district. 

I'd actually be inclined to agree with you.  I actually thought Sexton was better than Adkins last year.  If he had gotten the carries in the Abingdon and Richlands games, we wouldn't have lost either of them.

But, yes, Lucas of Abingdon is outstanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
3 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I'd actually be inclined to agree with you.  I actually thought Sexton was better than Adkins last year.  If he had gotten the carries in the Abingdon and Richlands games, we wouldn't have lost either of them.

But, yes, Lucas of Abingdon is outstanding.

Adkins and Sexton were 2 different types of runners Sexton was a homerun hitter no doubt but needed space to work with and have Adkins in the backfield allowed him to be a scary 2nd option. 

Adkins also had big play capability but I was more impressed with his yards after contact becouse last year he showed that he could get his pad level down and pick up some tough yardage.

The Abingdon loss had less to do with the offence than it did the D (However a power running game in the 4th would have helped no doubt.

The Richlands game IMHO had as much to do with Richlands running a solid scheam vs the spread (And the Ridgeview D being unable to effectively contain the Richlands QB picking up 1st downs with his legs 

I look forward to seeing what the Ridgeview Offence comes up with for this season.

 

As for D I would have to give the early nod to Union as they are returning there entire LB crop which was great last season. Ridgeview will be Solid on the D Line but IMHO will be challenged in the secondary with ALOT of new faces this season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, Counts said:

The Richlands game IMHO had as much to do with Richlands running a solid scheam vs the spread (And the Ridgeview D being unable to effectively contain the Richlands QB picking up 1st downs with his legs 

2nd half RV went with more counters for Adkins instead of the straight ahead runs they used in the 1st half, and less Sexton.  Stopping Richlands QB run game was a major factor but the offense didnt do the D any favors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

RV Defense killed them against Richlands some of the stuff they did made me scratch my head.  They had no one setting the edge all night and just lost leverage alot of times.  I still dont think Lucas is a better RB then Adkins tho hes #2 tho. Just turn on the tape and you can see it. I think Lucas will end up playing TE or Some where on the Defensive side at the Next Level.  Its gonna be a running of Polier and Sproles for M7 DPOY I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
1 hour ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

The RV fans on here are certainly not as optimistic as the team. Saw several statements in the paper that was state title or bust? One could argue they’ll have the best offensive and defensive player on the field in every game. Why the pessimism RV fans? 

For me it is reservations more than pessimism.

RV is replacing ALOT of skill players several who were 3 year starters. 

RV will be replacing there QB and that is always an unknown. 

The Bright point on there team (Outside a Adkins) is there line which is bigger stronger and deeper (Overall) than any RV team up to this point.

For me until I see how the New QB and skill players work out I will temper my enthusiasm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 hours ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

The RV fans on here are certainly not as optimistic as the team. Saw several statements in the paper that was state title or bust? One could argue they’ll have the best offensive and defensive player on the field in every game. Why the pessimism RV fans? 

LOL   I would be more concerned if it were flipped where the players were not optimistic and the fans were. I give kudos for the players speaking out saying, as you put it, state or bust, after all if the state title is not the end goal then why suit up in the 1st place.  And BTW really no argument, they do have the best offensive and defensive player.  This coming from a Central fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
18 hours ago, Burrell’s Pearls said:

The RV fans on here are certainly not as optimistic as the team. Saw several statements in the paper that was state title or bust? One could argue they’ll have the best offensive and defensive player on the field in every game. Why the pessimism RV fans? 

I wouldn't be surprised if a certain KTN sports writer fabricated that state title or bust comments to fire up his Wise county teams... Mays is certainly biased towards his Union and Central and Burton boys.  If you noticed in the BHC article, there was no mention of "state title or bust."

As for me, I am humble about stuff like this.  Until someone beats Graham, then they are the team to beat.  Plain and simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
16 hours ago, Counts said:

For me it is reservations more than pessimism.

RV is replacing ALOT of skill players several who were 3 year starters. 

RV will be replacing there QB and that is always an unknown. 

The Bright point on there team (Outside a Adkins) is there line which is bigger stronger and deeper (Overall) than any RV team up to this point.

For me until I see how the New QB and skill players work out I will temper my enthusiasm.

I honestly think we'll be fine at QB.  Nick has experience and led us to several scores in garbage time last year.  Yes, I know that was against backups, but that game experience and running the system is certainly going to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 minute ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I honestly think we'll be fine at QB.  Nick has experience and led us to several scores in garbage time last year.  Yes, I know that was against backups, but that game experience and running the system is certainly going to help.

Every thing I am hearing backs that up I think Phillips will be fine (probably better than fine) there is no doubt that is will be the fastest QB that we have had in the backfield since the school opened. I know he has a strong arm as well I just want to see his dissension making and whether our WRs can catch a pass in a game before getting to excited LOL.

 

That being said a QB that can run puts ALOT of pressure on a Defense.

 

Personaly i look for the Tazewell scrimmage to be all about testing out the WRs and the passing game as well as sliding in as many backup running backs to see which one sticks as our #2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

I never understand that about coaches sometimes. If I got a younger kid who's as good or better than a Upperclassman I'm rolling with the Young Buck. It would of really helped RV if Phillips would have got his experience last year. I'm excited to see the passing game against Tazwell it will be a good test because they will have some good Athletes playing the DB position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, HaloSports2 said:

Nick will be fine by the end of the season you will be wondering why he wasn't the qb last year

I think he will be a solid QB

How many other M7 Teams are breaking in a new QB this season and how is there early progress?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
 
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...