Scrimmage Observations

Gridiron60

First real game situation scrimmage for Abingdon this Friday at Marion.  This will surely tell the tale on where they are and what to expect.  They looked solid in their intra-squad but game situations will give us more of an idea on where they are from last season to this one.  DL & DB's should be solid.  New linebacking corps of solid athletes should tell the tale.  Really want to see where they are with the QB situation. 

5 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Planning on checking out Graham and Glenvar in Christiansburg on Thursday.  I want to see how the line holds up against a big and experienced Glenvar line.

Share your comments afterwards, please. I’m not able to go see Graham thus I started this thread so those who do make scrimmages can let others know first impressions.  I may catch Richlands on Friday though as I’ll be done that way.

16 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Planning on checking out Graham and Glenvar in Christiansburg on Thursday.  I want to see how the line holds up against a big and experienced Glenvar line.

Who will emerge at RB besides Booker?

I was at Battle Sullivan North game last nite, I really think I am biased but I think Battle is just suffering a lot from depth, practice is rough because they are low on back ups. They seem to have some good speed an as long as QB stays healthy he can run the triple option very well. They moved the ball well an the running backs an wide outs can catch the ball. Line is not huge but seemed to hold well enough. Defence looked very good, moved inside linebacker to outside this year so he is having to learn new things fast, corners are learning an safteys look good. line looks good  just the depth that will hurt some, but while 1st team was in North did not move the ball much. North has good size an speed on both sides, need to wrap up on tackle an hold on to the ball. 

GC's 1st string against THS's 1st string, the Devils won 15-14. THS's #24 & #82 scored on pass plays. GC scored on a long run & 5 yard TD from #12, Mack.  Devils went for two on the second TD to go ahead. When the 2nd teams were in, THS scored on a long drive & the Devils scored twice, with long runs by Rhoton & Carson I believe. THS missed their extra point & the Devils made two 2pt conversions winning 16-6. For the 4th scrimage I think for THS & the 1st for GC, I thought the Devils played pretty well.

2 hours ago, devilsfork said:

GC's 1st string against THS's 1st string, the Devils won 15-14. THS's #24 & #82 scored on pass plays. GC scored on a long run & 5 yard TD from #12, Mack.  Devils went for two on the second TD to go ahead. When the 2nd teams were in, THS scored on a long drive & the Devils scored twice, with long runs by Rhoton & Carson I believe. THS missed their extra point & the Devils made two 2pt conversions winning 16-6. For the 4th scrimage I think for THS & the 1st for GC, I thought the Devils played pretty well.

How did GC look on defense? Are we under center or in the gun? 

On 8/14/2019 at 11:58 AM, grandpaw trojan said:

I was at Battle Sullivan North game last nite, I really think I am biased but I think Battle is just suffering a lot from depth, practice is rough because they are low on back ups. They seem to have some good speed an as long as QB stays healthy he can run the triple option very well. They moved the ball well an the running backs an wide outs can catch the ball. Line is not huge but seemed to hold well enough. Defence looked very good, moved inside linebacker to outside this year so he is having to learn new things fast, corners are learning an safteys look good. line looks good  just the depth that will hurt some, but while 1st team was in North did not move the ball much. North has good size an speed on both sides, need to wrap up on tackle an hold on to the ball. 

How did Sullivan North look against Battle. I have heard absolutely nothing from them this fall. 

Battle seemed to move the all on them pretty easy except till they would try a sweep an North had the speed to stop it then Battle would go back inside an move the ball again. They dont wrap up on tackles an that will kill you, but they do have speed. The office could not move the ball until a missed Battle assignment turned them loose for a good gain, they need to hold on to the ball more which watching the coach I am sure he was addressing hat on he ride home. Overall they were not bad.

SXSW this is in reply to your question because it will not me quote you.

Offensive first series for Graham looked out of synch.  Line held up fine against Glenvar D Line. Several incomplete passes.  Ray had one run of about 10 yards.  Lester could have tucked and ran for daylight several times, looks like they are working on timing. I think they were 0-7 passing that first series. Lot of ducks flying around out there.

No score from either team in jv action.  Grahams 2nd team is going backwards.  Glenvars 2nd team not much better.  

Cheap shot by Glenvar on Grahams 2nd string qb gets Graham fired up.  First teamers back in and Glenvar ball carriers getting met in the backfield.  Isaac Dalton doing an excellent job at Defensive end.   Blanket coverage on pass plays.  Defense looked on point in their 2nd series.  Glenvar did manage 1 completion for about 12 yards in the 10 play series, a quick out.  QB scrambled for about 15. under heavy pressure, everything else went backwards in a hurry.

2nd offensive series with starters, Lester appears to break a long one that probably would have went to the house.  Refs blew it dead apparently qbs cant be tackled in the scrimmage and somebody touched him with a fingernail, I didnt see it.   60 yard td pass to Marcus Ray on next play.  Ray showed great athleticism on the play. Cheap shot on Lester after whistle on next play and a skirmish breaks out, several players involved.  Both teams get a lecture in middle of field. Deep pass by Lester caught but blown dead, again nobody touched him. For some reasons the refs are not on the field anymore but the coaches apparently have decided to keep going.

Graham and Glenvars 2nd  teams drove down the field in their 2nd possession but both came up short.  

3rd possession for 1st teamers went with down markers.  Glenvar loses 10 yards in 3 plays and punts.  Lester scrambles for 20 on 3rd and long to pick up a first down.  Lester hits Ray for a 35 yard strike to the corner of the end zone.  XP try is good.

Graham 1st team scores 2 tds in 3 possessions, but even so, most plays looked out of synch.  If Lester had been allowed to run, he would have had several huge gainers.

Overall impression of Graham is that the defense is way ahead of where they were at this point last year. Offense is behind where they were at this point last season.  Lot of work to do.  The line held their own on both sides of the ball against an experienced Glenvar line and that is a good sign.  Not a lot of depth for Graham however and if Lester gets hurt, they are in trouble.

Glenvar is big and strong but not much speed.

7 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham and Glenvars 2nd  teams drove down the field in their 2nd possession but both came up short.  

3rd possession for 1st teamers went with down markers.  Glenvar loses 10 yards in 3 plays and punts.  Lester scrambles for 20 on 3rd and long to pick up a first down.  Lester hits Ray for a 35 yard strike to the corner of the end zone.  XP try is good.

Graham 1st team scores 2 tds in 3 possessions, but even so, most plays looked out of synch.  If Lester had been allowed to run, he would have had several huge gainers.

Overall impression of Graham is that the defense is way ahead of where they were at this point last year. Offense is behind where they were at this point last season.  Lot of work to do.  The line held their own on both sides of the ball against an experienced Glenvar line and that is a good sign.  Not a lot of depth for Graham however and if Lester gets hurt, they are in trouble.

Glenvar is big and strong but not much speed.

Thanks for the analysis & updates! Glad to hear defense is starting strong that's definitely a plus! Not sure why Lester wasn't turned loose to run because he's got amazing speed. Maybe just trying some different things or getting practice with passing plays.