Scrimmage Observations

Gridiron60

20 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham and Glenvars 2nd  teams drove down the field in their 2nd possession but both came up short.  

3rd possession for 1st teamers went with down markers.  Glenvar loses 10 yards in 3 plays and punts.  Lester scrambles for 20 on 3rd and long to pick up a first down.  Lester hits Ray for a 35 yard strike to the corner of the end zone.  XP try is good.

Graham 1st team scores 2 tds in 3 possessions, but even so, most plays looked out of synch.  If Lester had been allowed to run, he would have had several huge gainers.

Overall impression of Graham is that the defense is way ahead of where they were at this point last year. Offense is behind where they were at this point last season.  Lot of work to do.  The line held their own on both sides of the ball against an experienced Glenvar line and that is a good sign.  Not a lot of depth for Graham however and if Lester gets hurt, they are in trouble.

Glenvar is big and strong but not much speed.

Thanks for the updates. Depth could be an issue with 18 freshmen on the roster.

17 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Thanks for the analysis & updates! Glad to hear defense is starting strong that's definitely a plus! Not sure why Lester wasn't turned loose to run because he's got amazing speed. Maybe just trying some different things or getting practice with passing plays. 

I think they were working on the passing game.  The run game struggled the few times they did run the ball.  Glenvar had a lot to do with that I think.  They have quite a defense as well.

Union was a mixed bag. Starting center didn't play tonight so that got the line out of whack a little.

Players were rotating in and out constantly, so difficult to see any rhythm. 

The RBs and LBs will be fine. Lots of new faces everywhere else. The one drive that they didn't really rotate was very successful with punishing runs, and ended in a TD. Flashes of good and flashes of bad on O and D. Maybe next week will reveal more.

Lot of promising talent in the JV ranks.

Not much to report other than this scrimmage reminded me a lot of 2014 vs Tenn High. Went 8-2 that year and got better as the season went along. Hoping for the same this year. 

8 hours ago, SXSW said:

How did Sullivan North look against Battle. I have heard absolutely nothing from them this fall. 

Looked ok... Qb has a decent arm receivers have speed need to track ball a little better... All in all they looked ok.. Starters for both teams only played two series.. They did struggle holding on to the ball on the pitch coat thwm a lot of yards in two drives they mishandled the ball 5 times

3 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

2nd offensive series with starters, Lester appears to break a long one that probably would have went to the house.  Refs blew it dead apparently qbs cant be tackled in a scrimmage and somebody touched him with a fingernail, I didnt see it.   60 yard td pass to Marcus Ray on next play.  Ray showed great athleticism on the play. Cheap shot on Lester after whistle on next play and a skirmish breaks out, several players involved.  Both teams get a lecture in middle of field. Deep pass by Lester caught but blown dead, again nobody touched him. For some reasons the refs are not on the field anymore but the coaches apparently have decided to keep going.

Ref leave the game after this play and getting scolded by both coaches for their calling of the game. Also Christiansburg decided not to scrimmage either team and the refs then left the area.

2nd offensive series with starters, Lester appears to break a long one that probably would have went to the house.  Refs blew it dead apparently qbs cant be tackled in a scrimmage and somebody touched him with a fingernail, I didnt see it.   60 yard td pass to Marcus Ray on next play.  Ray showed great athleticism on the play. Cheap shot on Lester after whistle on next play and a skirmish breaks out, several players involved.  Both teams get a lecture in middle of field. Deep pass by Lester caught but blown dead, again nobody touched him. For some reasons the refs are not on the field anymore but the coaches apparently have decided to keep going.

Ref leave the game after this play and getting scolded by both coaches for their calling of the game. Also Christiansburg decided not to scrimmage either team and the refs then left the area.

19 minutes ago, ghs73 said:

Well.  After the refs left, the coaches did a MUCH better job of controlling the action on the field.

2 hours ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

Union has so much potential, and Union is so young. Both of those showed tonight. Let this team Gel, Let it all come together and nobody will want to see them come November. 

2 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Union was a mixed bag. Starting center didn't play tonight so that got the line out of whack a little.

Players were rotating in and out constantly, so difficult to see any rhythm. 

The RBs and LBs will be fine. Lots of new faces everywhere else. The one drive that they didn't really rotate was very successful with punishing runs, and ended in a TD. Flashes of good and flashes of bad on O and D. Maybe next week will reveal more.

Lot of promising talent in the JV ranks.

Not much to report other than this scrimmage reminded me a lot of 2014 vs Tenn High. Went 8-2 that year and got better as the season went along. Hoping for the same this year. 

Question to the UNION fans...

How did the LB's look on defense tonight?

I feel bad I could not make it there tonight😞

11 minutes ago, UNION#ATW said:

Question to the UNION fans...

How did the LB's look on defense tonight?

I feel bad I could not make it there tonight😞

They were solid. Held contain pretty well. There were a few moments where they allowed some things to open up, but overall the LB group and entire defense was good. 

7 hours ago, ghs73 said:

Christiansburg was not involved in this scrimmage...never was the plan...

Graham’s line performed well about as equal as Glenvar even though Glenvar was much bigger.  Graham’s line should do good district play.  Only draw back is it appears glenvar is lacking discipline.  Multiple late hits should be corrected quickly.  Graham appears to be a well gelled team.

26 minutes ago, Counts said:

I was seeing the LOS as a possible weak spot for Union going into the season. How did there O and D line look?

A little difficult to say about O line due to the center being out, and shuffling so many players around. I don't think they are where they need to be, but have potential to get there. In my opinion, the D line is a little small, but I don't think they have settled on that yet either.

Maybe it was just me, but this is the most shuffling of players I can recall seeing in the first scrimmage for the Bears. Honestly, I don't know what to fully make of them. Hoping things settle down against Va High next, but I have a feeling that we won't have a full picture until the first game.

ll I can say is watch out for the Lomax kid, a sophomore and may get more publicity than polier this year. Kid is an absolute freight train. I sat midfield so I could see some of the JV at the start. I see #8 getting reps quick, at a 6’1-2” JV qb, kid has one of the prettiest balls I’ve seen thrown in a few years from a union QB, and sees over the line well unlike Gibson. 

Lomax, Gurrant, @ Polier in the backfield, its going to be long nights for some defenses

27 minutes ago, CriticalNoise said:

ll I can say is watch out for the Lomax kid, a sophomore and may get more publicity than polier this year. Kid is an absolute freight train. I sat midfield so I could see some of the JV at the start. I see #8 getting reps quick, at a 6’1-2” JV qb, kid has one of the prettiest balls I’ve seen thrown in a few years from a union QB, and sees over the line well unlike Gibson. 

Lomax, Gurrant, @ Polier in the backfield, its going to be long nights for some defenses

What year is Lomax? Do not remember him from last season

Never mind I see you had already stated he is a sophomore

Edited by Counts
Not reading

11 hours ago, Trojans1980 said:

Looked ok... Qb has a decent arm receivers have speed need to track ball a little better... All in all they looked ok.. Starters for both teams only played two series.. They did struggle holding on to the ball on the pitch coat thwm a lot of yards in two drives they mishandled the ball 5 times

11 hours ago, Trojans1980 said:

Thanks for the info, that is typical of North football lots of turnovers and penalties at bad times...they are a program on life support only this season and next before consolidation.I would like to see them closeout strong!  

7 hours ago, GMan said:

Christiansburg was not involved in this scrimmage...never was the plan...

Sat with Christiansburgs Principal.  Very good friend of mine.  He informed me that the varsity would be scrimmaging Auburn and Auburn didnt have a jv team.  They asked to be a part of the scrimmage for the jv only.  Most of the scrimmaging was between jv and 2nd teamers.  1st teams had only 3 turns on each side of the ball.