Scrimmage Observations

Gridiron60

6 hours ago, CriticalNoise said:

ll I can say is watch out for the Lomax kid, a sophomore and may get more publicity than polier this year. Kid is an absolute freight train. I sat midfield so I could see some of the JV at the start. I see #8 getting reps quick, at a 6’1-2” JV qb, kid has one of the prettiest balls I’ve seen thrown in a few years from a union QB, and sees over the line well unlike Gibson. 

Lomax, Gurrant, @ Polier in the backfield, its going to be long nights for some defenses

8 looked good. Hope he gets a shot, and definitely agree on the backfield. It will be battering ram after battering ram coming through that line IF they block halfway decent.

Richlands is fairly solid against a much smaller GW team. George Wythe had some great runs though especially on the outside. Neither Richlands QB  near as good as Moir. If he can move the ball past 50 yard line, I’d put money on Forrest getting the field goal every time. Most likely best kicker in 2A. Lots of coaching staffs represented in the crowd checking out the Blues. 

5 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

8 looked good. Hope he gets a shot, and definitely agree on the backfield. It will be battering ram after battering ram coming through that line IF they block halfway decent.

i thought gibson done ok. didnt turn the ball over and made some nice throws and good decisions. offensive line needs work but as was stated center was out so maybe that will fix some things. defensively the secondary worries me. they need work and didnt tackle very well. hopefully we see improvement next week. overall not bad for first time out

45 minutes ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Hurley beat Phelps, KY 14-7 @ Phelps tonight

Grundy 2-1 TD's over Thomas Walker

Wise Central 2-0 TD's over Grundy

I don’t know what game you watched, but Grundy didn’t score a touchdown the entire night. Thomas Walker looked terrible against Central, but scored 2 or 3 on Grundy. 

13 hours ago, Counts said:

What year is Lomax? Do not remember him from last season

Never mind I see you had already stated he is a sophomore

I was telling folks last year that Lomax is going to be a nightmare to deal with for many years to come. The sky is the limit for this young man 

Chilhowie was the more "seasoned" team. They score on the first two plays, and twice in nine plays. That set the tone. Chilhowie had more speed and quickness. Honaker will improve. Did the score surprise? Sure, but not for Chillhowie folks. Good luck to both squads.

10 hours ago, The U Bear said:

i thought gibson done ok. didnt turn the ball over and made some nice throws and good decisions. offensive line needs work but as was stated center was out so maybe that will fix some things. defensively the secondary worries me. they need work and didnt tackle very well. hopefully we see improvement next week. overall not bad for first time out

Secondary did allow a few plays, but I did take into consideration that while Betsy didn't have the QB from last year, this year's QB and receivers were very good. We had skintight coverage on one pass, but the receiver just made an incredible play. Now, some of the instances where their receivers got behind us will be corrected with experience, but Union has had that problem as long as I can remember regardless of who was back there.

And it's not that Gibson is bad, I just think that his talents could best be served elsewhere when there's another option at QB. 

12 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Richlands is fairly solid against a much smaller GW team. George Wythe had some great runs though especially on the outside. Richlands QB not near as good as Moir. If he can move the ball past 50 yard line, I’d put money on Forrest getting the field goal every time. Most likely best kicker in 2A. Lots of coaching staffs represented in the crowd checking out the Blues. 

We split reps with both QBs. Not sure who gives the best chance yet. Simmons can run, Cox has more arm strength. They both need to work on accuracy. 

Narrows jamboree with Carroll Co., Fort Chiswell, and PikeView, WV

10 plays and switch, start at the 40.  2 teams on each side of the 50 going at the same time.

Narrows and FC

1s - 2 to 0 Narrows and Fort didn't reach the red zone.

2s -  2 to 1 Narrows

Narrows and PikeView

1s  - 2 to 0 Narrows

2s - 4 to 0 Narrows

Narrows and Carroll Co.

1s - tied 1 each.  Carroll scored on their 8th play.  Narrows on their 5th or 6th.

2s - Carroll run their 10 plays without getting in the red zone and Narrows called it a day. 

From what I seen, if I were to rank the teams in order of performance today, I'd go Narrows, Carroll Co., FC, PikeView.

15 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Narrows jamboree with Carroll Co., Fort Chiswell, and PikeView, WV

10 plays and switch, start at the 40.  2 teams on each side of the 50 going at the same time.

Narrows and FC

1s - 2 to 0 Narrows and Fort didn't reach the red zone.

2s -  2 to 1 Narrows

Narrows and PikeView

1s  - 2 to 0 Narrows

2s - 4 to 0 Narrows

Narrows and Carroll Co.

1s - tied 1 each.  Carroll scored on their 8th play.  Narrows on their 5th or 6th.

2s - Carroll run their 10 plays without getting in the red zone and Narrows called it a day. 

From what I seen, if I were to rank the teams in order of performance today, I'd go Narrows, Carroll Co., FC, PikeView.

I came to watch and yes, Narrows has a real good 1st team on both sides of the ball. Hands down better than Fort and Pikeview. Good match with Carrol County, but Narrows was better.  That defense might be awful good this year, none of the 3 teams could run on them. I would put Pikeview a little better than Fort though. I liked the way them Wave mixed it up on offense and the way Carrol County coaches got so involved with the players! 

3 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

We split reps with both QBs. Not sure who gives the best chance yet. Simmons can run, Cox has more arm strength. They both need to work on accuracy. 

I agree Simmons can run better & Cox has better arm. May depend on the opponent as to which one gets to play each game. I think both are decent but neither the caliber of Moir. I see Sage & Forrest as Richlands biggest assets. 

Was in Oakwood today. Only saw a few games. River view WV looks like a . 500 team . Castlewood outplayed them and out scored them 2-0 in the first 2 possessions. RV went to the air and scored 2 in their 3rd possession. Castlewood only had around 20 players and weren’t subbing much. Lebanon has big numbers with around 40 players. They’re extremely small and slow. Lebanon gets solid play at QB. The starter throws a nice ball and at times he executes the offense well. No running game to help him. His back up , who might go 5’5 130lbs, plays with a lot of poise and heart. Lebanon was tied 2-2 with Rye Cove , who didn’t score a TD against Northwood. The Pioneers gave something to build on for the future but it’s gonna be a long season . They may compete with Va high or Marion. But I see them giving up lots of points to the other 3 district teams

Virginia High looked decent against Sullivan East. The O and D lines are both entirely new, but they managed to hold East's rushing attack and put pressure on their QB. 

That said, East has a good receiver corps and were able to make some big plays. 

VHS has a new QB in Richard but returns Stevie Thomas and an athletic bunch of running backs and receivers. 

Crist has the team going in the right direction after many years of instability; this team may not be as talented as last year's, but should still get 4 or 5 wins and fight for a playoff spot

4 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Hearing Bluefields defense looked sharp today, but the offense struggled.  Problems on the O-line and inconsistency with the passing.  Sounded very similar to how Graham performed.

If Beaver has all of those D-l players as mentioned here, then they must have missed the bus.  The DE is a good looking kid and plays hard......Pulaski County controlled the game from start to finish.