Scrimmage Observations

Gridiron60

55 minutes ago, swvasportsnut said:

If Beaver has all of those D-l players as mentioned here, then they must have missed the bus.  The DE is a good looking kid and plays hard......Pulaski County controlled the game from start to finish.

I heard Bluefield's offense looked bad, but it's early yet.  The Offensive line played particularly poorly is what I was told.  Was I told correctly?

7 hours ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Narrows jamboree with Carroll Co., Fort Chiswell, and PikeView, WV

10 plays and switch, start at the 40.  2 teams on each side of the 50 going at the same time.

Narrows and FC

1s - 2 to 0 Narrows and Fort didn't reach the red zone.

2s -  2 to 1 Narrows

Narrows and PikeView

1s  - 2 to 0 Narrows

2s - 4 to 0 Narrows

Narrows and Carroll Co.

1s - tied 1 each.  Carroll scored on their 8th play.  Narrows on their 5th or 6th.

2s - Carroll run their 10 plays without getting in the red zone and Narrows called it a day. 

From what I seen, if I were to rank the teams in order of performance today, I'd go Narrows, Carroll Co., FC, PikeView.

who did narrows have at QB 

11 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Secondary did allow a few plays, but I did take into consideration that while Betsy didn't have the QB from last year, this year's QB and receivers were very good. We had skintight coverage on one pass, but the receiver just made an incredible play. Now, some of the instances where their receivers got behind us will be corrected with experience, but Union has had that problem as long as I can remember regardless of who was back there.

And it's not that Gibson is bad, I just think that his talents could best be served elsewhere when there's another option at QB. 

Who is the other option at QB didn't notice anyone else play unless it was on the other end of field

12 minutes ago, 1_hsfootballfan said:

who did narrows have at QB 

Two different ones ,both did good. Both are fast. Friends from there said Wave were good, had doubts, they were right. Big line. Fast backs. Gang tackle. Ends and backers are quick to ball. Might end that Spartan streak. Planning on watching them next week playing Bluefield. Did Spartans play today? If so who and how did they do? 

14 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Who is the other option at QB didn't notice anyone else play unless it was on the other end of field

You have Gibson, Lester, Hall, and Bunch. I was primarily referring to Bunch. Of course, I don't know what Travis' mindset is for a primary formation this year, but if it's going to be run heavy out of the T with an occasional pass then Gibson or Lester would make a great 4th run option. 

If it's going to be spread whatsoever then I think Bunch is the choice. 

I may have missed it, but I don't recall Hall getting any reps.

54 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I heard Bluefield's offense looked bad, but it's early yet.  The Offensive line played particularly poorly is what I was told.  Was I told correctly?

I was told it wasn't a good showing for offense but I'm sure they'll be ready by August 30th though. I.hope the GMen keep it close & can pull out the upset. 

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Pretty accurate...I was looking forward to seeing the RB and DB play from Bluefield as I know they are being recruited/committed to D-I programs.  Just didn't see that potential today, however I'm sure they have what it takes.  The DE is def has a D-I body and played with great effort, IMO.  I should also note that Pulaski County is pretty good and I will bet anyone here a soda pop that Lord Bottletop beats Bluefield by 20!

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

You have Gibson, Lester, Hall, and Bunch. I was primarily referring to Bunch. Of course, I don't know what Travis' mindset is for a primary formation this year, but if it's going to be run heavy out of the T with an occasional pass then Gibson or Lester would make a great 4th run option. 

I guess it was bunch that played some, we didn't know who it was.  Is he a freshman?

All of the Div players Bluefield has are just that, Div 1 future players. But, because they have some Div 1 players doesn't automatically mean their Offensive Line is full of them. It's not. Their question mark is exactly what Graham's is, and that's the offensive line. This is why I think and have had the opinion that Graham and Bluefield will be tight and Graham may win. Graham's D will present some problems for Bluefield OL and that game likely is coming down to turnovers. 

3 hours ago, Old Soul said:

Two different ones ,both did good. Both are fast. Friends from there said Wave were good, had doubts, they were right. Big line. Fast backs. Gang tackle. Ends and backers are quick to ball. Might end that Spartan streak. Planning on watching them next week playing Bluefield. Did Spartans play today? If so who and how did they do? 

They were at Hidden Valley on Thursday.  From what I seen, they have some size but it's mostly young.  Their team is young in general.  Really couldn't tell much from it being they were so outmanned vs a much bigger school.

3 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

i was told hall quit the team

56 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

They were at Hidden Valley on Thursday.  From what I seen, they have some size but it's mostly young.  Their team is young in general.  Really couldn't tell much from it being they were so outmanned vs a much bigger school.

4 seniors on entire team ...we had multiple starters that didn't play Friday at HV either

On 8/17/2019 at 8:34 AM, Union_Fan said:

Betsy didn't have the QB from last year, this year's QB and receivers were very good. 

I work in Kingsport at Indian Path but some of the guys at work told me that kid was a 3rd string QB at Dobyns Bennett, and left to start at Betsy. 

On 8/17/2019 at 8:34 AM, Union_Fan said:

And it's not that Gibson is bad, I just think that his talents could best be served elsewhere when there's another option at QB. 

Nailed it, Travis wouldn’t let Bunch throw the ball the whole scrimmage 1 pass? Afraid of out shining his starter. This has went on for years at Union. The spears/hall is another instance. 

4 hours ago, CriticalNoise said:

I work in Kingsport at Indian Path but some of the guys at work told me that kid was a 3rd string QB at Dobyns Bennett, and left to start at Betsy. 

Nailed it, Travis wouldn’t let Bunch throw the ball the whole scrimmage 1 pass? Afraid of out shining his starter. This has went on for years at Union. The spears/hall is another instance. 

Didn't realize that until I listened to the U radio broadcast of the scrimmage. He had some wheels. 

However, I was more impressed with #10. If I remember correctly, he's the one that ate us alive with the pass.

I can't complain with Tanner Hall. He did throw for over 2000 yards his senior year,  BUT Spears was definitely the best QB in Union's history.

2 hours ago, GloboGymCobras said:

Anybody see any other region d  1a teams? JIB, twin springs, eastside holston or PH? Or any body get to see Galax?

Galax scrimmaged East Wilkes NC last Saturday the 10th and play Floyd in a benefit next Friday the 23rd. 

J.I. Burton overall looked the best at Twin Valley Saturday. Their run game and defense both look solid. They're going have plenty of speed. The biggest surprised was Rye Cove. Not sure how telling a scrimmage is, but they're definitely better than they have been in recent years and only time will tell will them.

7 hours ago, swvafbrespect said:

Rye cove will be much better. How was Castlewood, Northwood and Rural Retreat?

Northwood looked flat. One of the running backs they have looked good though. Pretty quick & shifty.

Castlewood & Rural Retreat both looked even. I'd give RR the advantage when they play in the benefit game cause they seemed to be more well rounded as a team.

I couldn't get a good read on Lebanon. It seemed like they were more testing & tuning things and not risking getting players injured or overworked.