Scrimmage Observations

Gridiron60

Grayson County fared quite well against Radford on Friday.  Radford was the better team but it was far more balanced than anyone expected.  Either Radford's dominance or Grayson's demise are greatly exaggerated!  Maybe a bit of both?

The observations from Bluefield and Pulaski were pretty much what was expected.  The offense was bland and not going to open it up the entire time with teams scouting etc. Granted the offensive line play could have been better but the Beavers were without one of their main studs (6’7 319 OT), which would have obviously helped out the situation.  They also had 4-5 kids on the sidelines with injuries, all of which will be starters on the team.  Pulaski looks like they will have a nice season and could make some noise this year. Last observation, when people see the final score was 12-7.  On the 10 and outs, Bluefield didn’t score which was fairly concerning and Pulaski had 2 TD’s.  1 of the TD’s was more of 2 point conversion type heave with a nice catch in the end zone.  On the final part of scrimmage (move the chains), the Beavers looked totally different on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball and that portion of scrimmage was 7-0 Beavers. Just a friendly observation from a local sports fan.  There are definitely plenty of areas on Bluefield's squad to shore up before the season opener but I for one am fairly confident that will happen.  Especially when the kids that were out are back on the field.

As for the Ridgeview/Tazewell scrimmage I think both teams have alot to be happy with and both teams see areas that need improvement.

RV looked to be ahead of the game running out of multiple sets and showing verity in the offence that honestly i have not seen in a RV/Clintwood team.

I think the running game looked tight and was effective even with the #2 and #3 Backs in the game.

The passing game was ahead of last years passing at this point but needs work there looked to be a few miss reads and a few passes that were not as accurate as you would like to see but Much more positive than negative to report on that.

Starting QB has some speed I think teams will have a tough time accounting for his ability to tuck it and run in the passing game assuming that Adkins draws the type of coverage that he should drow from the Defense

Backup QB looked solid and defiantly plays more poised than a 9th grader should makes me feel good about our QB situation going forward 

Hard to tell about the line they opened some nice holes at times but were not quite the road graders i would have liked to have seen. That being said I do not remember any D penetration occuring at any time during the scrimmage (Other than the 4th 10 play set between the teams)

I would have liked to have seen a little more from the DLine in pass rush but most of tazewells passes were quick and it could be I am not giveing there line enough credit.

Receivers caught the ball well (Only 1 Drop that i can remember but it was a big drop LOL) Not sure the speed is there at the WR spot as it has been the last few seasons. But they were able to get behind the D a few times so a few more weeks watching will be needed before i can say for sure.

Backers looked solid but Taz did not try to run up the middle much so it was tough to get a solid read on them.

DBs are a mixed bag.The starters were all solid Adkins will probably be able to take away the other teams best WR but I think if the D has a weak point it will be pass coverage.

as for Tazewell They have some real talent at the skill positions and a huge line but do not seem to utilize ether of those things There inside running game is next to non existent and there passing game is short screens and deep balls down the sideline I can not say I can remember a pass that was between the hash marks (There my have been but nothing sticks out ) 

On D I think Tazewelle needs to get more out of there LBs in run support but other than that I thought they played well D Line made few plays but were holding there own in the trenches and there DBs were quick to the ball and tackled well.

Over all impressions 

RV will be a improved team this season but needs to stay healthy and continue to develop there depth at WR and DB.

Taz will be solid but I have no reference point to judge them against. so at this point Solid is all I can say about them

On 8/17/2019 at 9:16 AM, IRISH-FAN18 said:

I was wondering about that Abingdon/Marion scrimmage. What was the score?

Abingdon looked sharp with their 1's in on offense and defense.  The backups played very well and scored some TD's.  For a first scrimmage they are certainly coming together as a complete unit.

21 hours ago, GloboGymCobras said:

Anybody see any other region d  1a teams? JIB, twin springs, eastside holston or PH? Or any body get to see Galax?

I was at PH/Roanoke Catholic.  I will say that I feel like PH is legit this season.  They were able to control the line of scrimmage most of the day especially with the 1's in. I thought that may be a problem with some of there losses from last year but that didn't seem to be the case on Saturday.  Also, they are opening up the playbook a little more as well.  IMO, Brown was the best player on the field and feel like he could have another great season.  This is a kid that ran for 2k yards and scored over 30 TDs last season so the expectations should be very high.

In the last part of Bluefields scrimmage they got a TD and had a FG blocked. PC had negative yards in the last part of the scrimmage. PC scored both TDs on Bluefields 2nd team . School started first week of practice in Mercer co so they had zero 2 a days. Total of 11 practices before the PC scrimmage. Bluefield has a way to go to catch up but things will be a lot better by the first game. 

On 8/17/2019 at 3:58 PM, Eersfan said:

Was in Oakwood today. Only saw a few games. River view WV looks like a . 500 team . Castlewood outplayed them and out scored them 2-0 in the first 2 possessions. RV went to the air and scored 2 in their 3rd possession. Castlewood only had around 20 players and weren’t subbing much. Lebanon has big numbers with around 40 players. They’re extremely small and slow. Lebanon gets solid play at QB. The starter throws a nice ball and at times he executes the offense well. No running game to help him. His back up , who might go 5’5 130lbs, plays with a lot of poise and heart. Lebanon was tied 2-2 with Rye Cove , who didn’t score a TD against Northwood. The Pioneers gave something to build on for the future but it’s gonna be a long season . They may compete with Va high or Marion. But I see them giving up lots of points to the other 3 district teams

I heard from a coach that the Rye Cove score was 3 -1 Lebanon, and the Rural Retreat score was 1 -1. From my understanding the pioneers subbed a lot and tried to avoid injury and overwork. They are a young team that will keep  improving. They also used the scrimmage  to test and tune things. I would take most of it with a grain of salt. The running  game will be better than you think.  You are right they do lack size but they are more athletic than you let on.  I think they will be able to spread  teams out some. While they might not finish with a winning record, I as still expect  them to win at least 4 games. They do have a lighter schedule  than in the past couple seasons out of district. They are definitely  headed in the right direction. The players want to be successful and they work hard. They are a team I wouldn't take lightly as the season  progresses. Honaker will have their hands full week 1. 

3 hours ago, Long Legged Turd Cutter said:

I was at PH/Roanoke Catholic.  I will say that I feel like PH is legit this season.  They were able to control the line of scrimmage most of the day especially with the 1's in. I thought that may be a problem with some of there losses from last year but that didn't seem to be the case on Saturday.  Also, they are opening up the playbook a little more as well.  IMO, Brown was the best player on the field and feel like he could have another great season.  This is a kid that ran for 2k yards and scored over 30 TDs last season so the expectations should be very high.

Better than the humphreys kid a few years back?

22 minutes ago, GloboGymCobras said:

That wouldnt surprise me.  It may depend on the number of carries a younger back shares with Brown where Humphreys carried a heavier load I believe.

I have been happy with what I saw on HUDL for RC.  I didnt realize until Friday that one of their best lineman had transferred to a school in Bristol (not sure which one).  Hated to see that he wasnt in a RC uniform this season. They subbed quite a bit with Lebanon and Northwood as well.

32 minutes ago, GloboGymCobras said:

From a talent standpoint I do think Brown is a better ball carrier.  They do have very different styles where Humphrey’s was more of a smash mouth bowling ball type of running, Brown is an upright runner with strong vision and top speed once he gets on the outside.  Brown came close to some of Dakota’s numbers with about 150 less carries last year.  He also is someone to watch in the return game, having returned several for six.

29 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

If anyone goes to Cave Spring/Graham, let us know how Graham looked; especially offense, that seemed to need some shoring up. I think defense seems much more solid than beginning of last season. 

Yes please.  I would like to know also.  Im sure hudl hi lights will be ready in the morning.

On 8/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, Long Legged Turd Cutter said:

From a talent standpoint I do think Brown is a better ball carrier.  They do have very different styles where Humphrey’s was more of a smash mouth bowling ball type of running, Brown is an upright runner with strong vision and top speed once he gets on the outside.  Brown came close to some of Dakota’s numbers with about 150 less carries last year.  He also is someone to watch in the return game, having returned several for six.

If you watch PH they bring everyone in close , start motion in backfield an hand it to Brown, he in turn gets lost behind his line an looks for a lane an then speed kills! Dokota in turn was your classic smash mouth tailback. If a defence was smart an corners an safteys did not get sucked up they have better chance against Brown.

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

If anyone goes to Cave Spring/Graham, let us know how Graham looked; especially offense, that seemed to need some shoring up. I think defense seems much more solid than beginning of last season. 

Just got this update from a Facebook friend at the game (former GHS QB). "G-Men up 27 0 early in the 4th. Reserves on both sides have been playing for awhile. G look pretty good, strong on D. O still needs some tuning. Cave is a much bigger school, but they're not a strong team this year. Gmen bigger faster stronger more athletic."

On 8/18/2019 at 12:21 PM, GloboGymCobras said:

Anybody see any other region d  1a teams? JIB, twin springs, eastside holston or PH? Or any body get to see Galax?

JIB didn't look bad against Northwood and Riverview WVa. Won both games 4-1, 5-3. New Offense looks good with the new QB running read opt. Hard to catch if he gets outside. Had two TD passes. Run Defense looked real good Johnny Williams will have to be triple teamed the kids a beast. Tomarrow we should know more against GW. The raiders are doubled in numbers and has high energy.

Thoughts on Richlands/Grundy.

1. Simmons is the QB. He started the game and played every series in the first half except for two. He looked much more poised tonight than he did last week. Went 7-9 for 181 and 4 TD. A couple of those throws could have easily been intercepted against a Bluefield or Graham. Also had a few footwork issues on a couple of throws. He also had a nice 28 yard scramble on the only time he really flashed his legs. He'll continue to improve as the season goes along.

2. Sage Webb has gotten faster I think. He had two TD's tonight. He was wide open several other times. Teams double teaming him have to be prepared for the other 7 receivers that caught a pass. Whited and Medley are TE/WR kind of like a Bucky Hodges role at VT. We lined them up outside a few times and you just know the fade in the endzone will eventually be thrown their way. Logan Altizer and Will Tarter looked good in the slots. Jake Altizer also looked good in the slot. 

3. Running game needs work. Pass pro was just fine. But sometimes Steele was hit in the backfield at the handoff because the line missed assignments. It's a big line and they have the potential, just need to get better at run blocking. Steele looked good when he had some room. Also, give Gillespie the ball some. That kid's a bowling ball with knives.

4. Fle is a weapon. Anytime the Blues get past the opponent 45, points are on the table. He hit one from 34 that was good from 64. He also went 7 for 7 on touchbacks kicking off -- with two going through the uprights and a third bouncing off of the upright. 

5. Run defense is STOUT. I can't see too many teams beating Richlands up the middle with the run. Pass protection with the starters looked okay, but it was also a Grundy team with an entirely new backfield. Either way, Whited and Phipps will be household names by week 11. 

Those are my general thoughts. I still say 7-3 is about right on the mark. Bluefield is Bluefield. But I think Richlands CAN win every other game on the schedule. We'll have to see. Getting Abingdon, Graham and Radford at home helps.

On 8/17/2019 at 4:46 PM, Single A west said:

On seeing in scrimmages and practice, where I would rate each team

galax

radford

Narrows

grayson/Carroll/fort chiswell(short 3 lineman)

Riverview

Pikeview

Some shuffling around on teams I’ve seen compared to each other,

Radford

Galax

john battle

GW/Narrows

JIB/Fort Chiswell/Carroll

Grayson

Riverview

Pikeview