Keep us updated on Grayson vs Narrows on Thursday

Old Soul

I am hearing Grayson is tough, and I watched Narz on Saturday so would someone keep us posted on the game Thursday night. Benefit game but should be a good sign on both teams. If Grayson can pass it should be good. They may struggle with the ground game. 

Thursday @ Grayson.  Last I heard 6pm start time.  I seriously doubt it will be a game.  The last couple years these 2 have just scrimmaged with a series or 2 of live downs at the end.  I'm out of commission.  I'll be stuck at work.

2 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Don’t know the details but the final was 14-6 Narrows.

Thank ya sir.  It is appreciated.  

As long nobody got injured, it's been about as good a preseason as you could want on the western end of the county.  Looking forward to Auburn.

13 minutes ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Narrows could be a 10-0 team this season. Yeah, they have Chilhowie, Giles, Covington, Parry McCluer to go through but I could see it happen this season.

At worst I see 7-3 for the Wave. But yes they have the potential. I’m just hoping they go 9-1 haha 

34 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Don’t know the details but the final was 14-6 Narrows.

It was actually more than that. That was the score after they started running the clock later in the scrimmage. Narrows scored three more times before that. Twice in the first 10 play series. Grayson first team didn't score. 

Observations 

1. Narrows QB threw the ball extremely well and their receivers was open all night. I believe he completed his first 5 to 6 passes. 

2. Neither team moved the ball extremely. Well between the tackles. Narrows ran at will on the outside with pitches and several big gains with the option. Grayson has very little speed and narrows took advantage of it. 

3. Alot of the fans I spoke with in the crowd said that Grayson was running a different offense and defense than the first scrimmage. Although what they ran tonight was what they ran all year last year. 

4.  Grayson is very young and small Compared to their typical lines of the past. Struggled throwing the ball. Was out of alignment several times on D. Couple of times they never covered the slot. They will fix the alignment issues quickly and will improve as the season progresses. 

5. Narrows QB was very impressive with his accuracy. Defense played hard and swarmed the ball. Narrows doesn't have alot of team speed either but was two to three steps faster than Grayson.  Another year like the past two for sure. 

In my humble opinion

Ok, now what’s the take on both teams heading into week one? Narrows that good or Grayson not so much? I heard it was controlled scrimmage 21 to 0 and live scrimmage 14 to 6, both Narrows. Wave may be sneaky good this year. Grayson may be hiding their talent too!

5 minutes ago, Old Soul said:

Ok, now what’s the take on both teams heading into week one? Narrows that good or Grayson not so much? I heard it was controlled scrimmage 21 to 0 and live scrimmage 14 to 6, both Narrows. Wave may be sneaky good this year. Grayson may be hiding their talent too!

After the last few years Narrows has had, I don't think there's no sneaking anywhere.  Only Blacksburg has won more games in the Timesland coverage area in the last 3 years.

44 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

After the last few years Narrows has had, I don't think there's no sneaking anywhere.  Only Blacksburg has won more games in the Timesland coverage area in the last 3 years.

if you would have bet me on this 10 years ago, you would have won untold riches.  What a turnaround for the eastern end of Giles County!

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

if you would have bet me on this 10 years ago, you would have won untold riches.  What a turnaround for the eastern end of Giles County!

It has always come and gone in cycles in Narrows.  This bunch has been competitive at every level and for the most part has stuck together and with it.  Good bunch of kids that have put in a good amount of work.  We will enjoy it while it's here.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

I doubt they have 4 wins in those 3 years against teams that finished with a winning record. Just sayin

50 minutes ago, Stranger danger said:

I doubt they have 4 wins in those 3 years against teams that finished with a winning record. Just sayin

I figured I’d fact-check this one:

2018: 

Auburn (5-6, but 2 losses to Narrows)

Houston (6-5)

Covington (7-4)

Bath County (5-6, 1 loss to Narrows)

Parry McCluer (7-5, 1-1 against Narrows)

2017: 

Covington (8-4, 2 losses to Narrows)

2016:

None

It’s not a murderer’s row, and the 2016-2017 schedules were bottom-heavy.  Last year was legitimate, though.  5 teams that are at/over .500 when you take out the Narrows losses.

25 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I figured I’d fact-check this one:

2018: 

Auburn (5-6, but 2 losses to Narrows)

Houston (6-5)

Covington (7-4)

Bath County (5-6, 1 loss to Narrows)

Parry McCluer (7-5, 1-1 against Narrows)

2017: 

Covington (8-4, 2 losses to Narrows)

2016:

None

It’s not a murderer’s row, and the 2016-2017 schedules were bottom-heavy.  Last year was legitimate, though.  5 teams that are at/over .500 when you take out the Narrows losses.

So, I was just guessing, but I was dead on. .500 is not a winning record. Narrows bolted out of the MED to the Pioneer district solely for the purpose of having winning football seasons. Never mind the travel burden it puts on all other sports.

1 hour ago, Stranger danger said:

So, I was just guessing, but I was dead on. .500 is not a winning record. Narrows bolted out of the MED to the Pioneer district solely for the purpose of having winning football seasons. Never mind the travel burden it puts on all other sports.

It’s a bit of a flawed measure to not consider .500 a “winning record” when Narrows was the reason a team in fact did not have a winning record.  But that’s quibbling.

As for bolting the MED, that district was on the verge of collapse with Graham going back to the SWD; Bland County teetering with prohibitively low numbers; and Grayson County and Fort Chiswell in AA until this cycle.  

The only two stable schools in terms of numbers and geography in that arrangement were Narrows and Galax, a trip which isn’t preferable when compared to Elliston or New Castle.  The MED has always been more a weird amalgam of necessity than a natural fit for anyone.  See: Graham being forced into it for a number of years.