Looking for game suggestions.

big ugly vol

My kids are both graduated from Ridgeview and try as I may I’m just not emotionally invested in sports there. I wish the best for the home county kids, but honestly....I just don’t care very much. So I’m looking to go to some different places to see games. Maybe even get there a little early and try a good place to eat. What matchups would you go see through the season. As of now I’m probably going to RV at Burton next Thursday night. It will be a good atmosphere for the kids. Of course it’s gonna be interesting to see how JIB responds to the coaching change. Any input is appreciated. 

If you want non-Ridgeview games.

Graham/Bluefield
Union/Richlands
Union/Graham
Union/Paintsville
Union/Abingdon
Richlands/Graham
Richlands/Radford
Richlands/Abingdon
Burton/Eastside has been a competitive game.
Abingdon/Tenn High
Abingdon/Pulaski

Gate City/Lee or Central - Those are competitive and can be intense

4 hours ago, big ugly vol said:

My kids are both graduated from Ridgeview and try as I may I’m just not emotionally invested in sports there. I wish the best for the home county kids, but honestly....I just don’t care very much. So I’m looking to go to some different places to see games. Maybe even get there a little early and try a good place to eat. What matchups would you go see through the season. As of now I’m probably going to RV at Burton next Thursday night. It will be a good atmosphere for the kids. Of course it’s gonna be interesting to see how JIB responds to the coaching change. Any input is appreciated. 

If you catch any Richlands home games, I would give Bearded Moose a try. Blues will have some good home matchups including Graham. 

The Coal Bowl between Lebanon and Honaker is always fun and generally  competitive. It's at Lebanon this season, I'm expecting  a close game.  I think a lot of people are underestimating the Pioneers  so far. They will be much better  this season. I'm not saying they will be a top tier playoff team, but they might sneak in. For teams like Honaker, Eastside,  Central, VHS, Marion, Grundy and Tazwell, I wouldn't overlook  them on your schedule  or you might get a rude surprise. 

I would suggest Graham vs Bluefield but that's a bit of a drive for you. Hopefully a close game and great game play from both teams. The place is packed out every year, great Friday Night Lights atmosphere.  There's a local mom & pop's pizza place called Pacific Pizza, prices are very reasonable & food is good; pizza is made to order & baked right in front of you. 

5 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Lebanon’s schedule is abysmal for a 2A team.  4 wins (which is what I see on that schedule) isn’t getting them the Power Points necessary for the postseason...

Maybe  and that's fine. I said they had the potential  to sneak in. Not that they definitely  would. To be where they are at right now is something  to be happy about. Going into the summer most people throughout the community had written them off. At one time there was a real possibility  at the end of last school  year that they might not have to numbers for a team. A few months later and the turn around is amazing. They are trying to rebuild the program, if that takes playing in your words an "abysmal" schedule for a couple seasons then so be it. 

If they can pick up wins against teams such as Virginia  High, Marion, Central, or Tazwell who couldn't even beat a bad Lebanon team last year, then the playoffs are a real possibility, especially  if they beat the Single A teams on their schedule. 

My predictions 

Anywhere from 4 to 6 wins is feasible  if things go their way.  They've not had a lot go their way the past 3 seasons, but things are bound to go their way eventually. 

I definitely  wouldn't  overlook  them. They won't be the same cupcake team they  have been in the past to most teams. 

5 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Lebanon’s schedule is abysmal for a 2A team.  4 wins (which is what I see on that schedule) isn’t getting them the Power Points necessary for the postseason...

They also made the playoffs  in 2016 with a 4-6 record with wins against Honaker, Castlewood,  Virginia  High, and Tazwell.